The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When a significant amount of reviews call out Tom Petty and Crowded House covers as the highlight of the show, there’s a problem with the bands thinking and approach to this tour. In this case THE emotional highlight was Free Fallin’? For a band like Fleetwood Mac, the emotional highlight being a cover song is simply embarrassing.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I don't believe Fleetwood Mac (or their publicists) is sending out pre-scripted reviews saying Christine cannot sing anymore.
Agree. And as far as John goes, he has never been mentioned particularly prominently except as part of comments about the rhythm section of Mick and John being the ever present strong backbone of the band. (and he seems to like it that way) Happy? Anyone with eyes who attended the shows can see they seem to be happy. Christine and Mike having a ball playing off each other seems a particular highlight. I've seen reviews saying Mick was a bundle of energy and a fun, vital part of the show, but I haven't seen anyone saying the drum solo was a highlight.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 03-13-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You’re assuming that they’re not enjoying it and don’t want to continue, based on what I honestly have no clue. I think it’s wishful thinking for a lot of folks around here, but not necessarily true.

Fate will probably be more a factor in how the band wraps up than age or financial considerations.

I am basing it on my own thoughts...no I don’t have hard facts.
I am Stevie’s age and if I had the cash they must have, of course I’d call it a day.
Not Stevie, she’s a different creature all together, needs her ego massaging.
But the Mcviess are more down to earth and realistic.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Reviews have simply become an equation shift.

From many tours between '03-'15 the reviews always called out Buckingham's signature sound, energy, and the history with Nicks.

Now it's shifted to Mick being called out consistently for his enthusiasm and energy which wasn't a consistent thing before.

Mike and Christine are both very understated personalities which is why this has become a Stevie, Mick Neil show and not Fleetwood Mac. It's also why Free Falling has become the standout. Free Falling is also the most anthemic song Fleetwood Mac has ever played in terms of it being the easiest thing for 15k people to sing together. The Chain/Dont Stop/GYOW are Fleetwood Mac's most anthemic tunes, but not in the same way that Free Falling lights up an entire arena. To Stevie's credit - it's a freakin genius smoke and mirrors/feel good move to put that in the encore. Anyone with any doubts will be soothed by the master work of Tom Petty, not the shady Fleetwood Mac show they just sat through. The reviews have proven this to work, but at the cost of Fleetwood Mac's integrity.

To me, this could of been a really interesting show had they called it the Mick Fleetwood Revue or All Star Band....something along those lines. Throw the Fleetwood Mac "show" context out the window. Have Stevie do Stand Back and maybe other FM or solo songs she wanted to do. Create a really cool mixed bag of tunes from all of the unique people in the band. Remove the need to do signature Lindsey tunes because it's being billed a Fleetwood Mac show. They are already halfway there with the current setlist, had they pushed it more to move away from trying to create a Fleetwood Mac setlist, it would of been really interesting.

Not to mention it wouldn't of been the slap in the face that it was to Lindsey. But they chose to move forward with manufactured drama instead of pivoting to a plan B for a year and looping back with Buckingham later on for round two. That would involve working together instead of ultimatums and childish behavior. We all thought they were somewhat adults!

Last edited by BigAl84; 03-13-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Imagine if the highlight of this tour could of been Mike Campbell's reinvention or interpretation of a Fleetwood Mac song?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah, it's very interesting.

pre-scripted reviews sent to reviewers by band's publicists addressed most band members, and were saying:
  • Stevie is a rock queen, oh so young, oh so beautiful, moves and sings better than ever
  • Mick is oh so vital and his 10 minute drum solo is the highlight of the show
  • Christine cannot sing anymore
  • new guys are better than Buck and the whole band is refreshed and re-energized
  • usually not real mention of John
  • the band is happy happy happy - and, oh so happy!
you can kinda see where the wind is blowing from - Stevie, Mick, "new band" - great, Christine - sucks, John - no mention. which makes it even more funny how Chris is playing band's game when Stevie and Mick seem to be throwing her under the bus.

these recent east coast reviews (Atlanta, DC, AC, NYC) have obviously thrown that script into the trash bin and seem pretty matter-of-fact. they generally describe the show as
  • flat and just ok
  • missing Buck and his energy
  • set around Nicks as show's centerpiece
  • new guys are ok but outta place
  • don't generally mention Mick, John or Christine - guess not much change from previous tours in their performances.
both kinds of reviews seem to focus on 2 covers as being the highlights of the FM show and note how weird is that.

Caveat: i've only seen reviews that mention LB.
YAWN. Keep telling yourself that only negative reviews are being honest and all positive reviews reviews are scripted. I guess whatever helps.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I attended with three friends and had a great time. My friends like Lindsey more than I do and were sad he was not part of the lineup but they LOVED the show and did not regret any money spent. I think Stevie’s highlight was Black Magic Woman and I thought Christine did a fantastic Little Lies. My only slight disappointment was not hearing Silver Springs which is my favorite FM song.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
When a significant amount of reviews call out Tom Petty and Crowded House covers as the highlight of the show, there’s a problem with the bands thinking and approach to this tour. In this case THE emotional highlight was Free Fallin’? For a band like Fleetwood Mac, the emotional highlight being a cover song is simply embarrassing.
It all depends on your attitude. I was actually there. There was NOTHING embarrassing about it.

But hey, all the negative digs helps you deal with with Lindsey’s ouster, so have at it.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
It all depends on your attitude. I was actually there. There was NOTHING embarrassing about it.

But hey, all the negative digs helps you deal with with Lindsey’s ouster, so have at it.
I was there also, with my soon to be inlaws who had never seen the band live. They loved the show. I Would have loved to see Lindsey perform with the band again, but regardless of that, they sounded great and the packed audience seemed to respond well. There were a few songs I didn't love: "Gypsy" never sounds good to me live "You Make Loving Fun" sounded off to me, like it was in the wrong key. And "Do it all over" was nice as a duet, but isn't one of my favorites, and Chris sounded shaky on it to me.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Imagine if the highlight of this tour could of been Mike Campbell's reinvention or interpretation of a Fleetwood Mac song?
You mean like playing a Marxophone?

What I find disappointing now is that most of the deeper cuts that made the show interesting have gotten dropped, like “Tell Me All The Things You Do,” “Hypnotized,” and “I Got You.” That said, I really like what Mike’s doing with the two Peter Green songs. While it’s still a good set, it’s feeling much more like a typical set than what it originally was.

As for “Free Fallin’” it’s the emotional high point for reasons that should be pretty obvious. “Gypsy” was the high point in 1982 for a similar reason.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:

What I find disappointing now is that most of the deeper cuts that made the show interesting have gotten dropped, like “Tell Me All The Things You Do,” “Hypnotized,” and “I Got You.” That said, I really like what Mike’s doing with the two Peter Green songs. While it’s still a good set, it’s feeling much more like a typical set than what it originally was.

As for “Free Fallin’” it’s the emotional high point for reasons that should be pretty obvious. “Gypsy” was the high point in 1982 for a similar reason.
It's more than disappointing. I really wanted to hear deeper cuts. They talked and talked about having those pre BN cuts then drop them... uhhhhh

Should have attended early in the tour.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And we all knew some of those early deep cuts were going to get cut from the setlist eventually, that is classic FM behavior. The minute they played hypnotized and it didn't get the same reaction as Rhiannon - the wheels were turning to scrap it.

Thinking back to what Mike did with Learning to Fly - what about a beautiful revisit/reboot of Songbird? Maybe Chris can't play it on keyboards, but I'm sure they could come up with an alternative arrangement that wouldn't leave a dry eye in the house.

Instead of kinda playing the Gypsy solo- tear into it and put your own mark on it. I want to hear the Mike Campbell version, not Mike Campbell trying to do Lindsey Buckingham.

Sadly, IMO besides the blues numbers, his playing sounds like any other player trying to emulate Buckingham when he's incredibly talented in his own right.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The Marxophone is a great example. Again, they sorta stuck their toe over the line....but not really. So it comes across half-a$$ed to a lot of folks when that probably wasn't the intention. If any group of folks could of done another semi-acoustic version of Gypsy like the 2000 AHI benefit, it would be the band that includes Mike Campbell. Mick on the cocktail kit, the marxophone, figure out the solo, and get Stevie to back away from the shoutting approach and we might be onto something. Otherwise, it reads like a cover.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
What about a beautiful revisit/reboot of Songbird? Maybe Chris can't play it on keyboards, but I'm sure they could come up with an alternative arrangement that wouldn't leave a dry eye in the house.
Count me as one longtime fan who is thrilled Songbird is no longer the set closer. That is the ONLY song from Rumours that I detested from the first listen up to present day. I saw every FM tour from Tusk onward and always dreaded that closing tune.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Count me as one longtime fan who is thrilled Songbird is no longer the set closer. That is the ONLY song from Rumours that I detested from the first listen up to present day. I saw every FM tour from Tusk onward and always dreaded that closing tune.
I’m happy it’s getting a break, but I love that Willie Nelson not only covered it, but made it the title of the album.

THE Stephen Hopkins