The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What Was Lindsey's Issue With The Musicares Walkout Music?

And what did he do in response?

After watching the video of Stevie's speech, I can't imagine the alleged smirk amounted to anything at all. I'm thinking it had to be more how he handled this walkout music issue. Seems like a small thing over which to pitch a fit.

In retrospect it might have been a good idea if, in 1997, or at least in 2001, they had signed an agreement that the band could not go on without all five members, minus any who left voluntarily or passed away.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post

After watching the video of Stevie's speech, I can't imagine the alleged smirk amounted to anything at all. I'm thinking it had to be more how he handled this walkout music issue. Seems like a small thing over which to pitch a fit.

In retrospect it might have been a good idea if, in 1997, or at least in 2001, they had signed an agreement that the band could not go on without all five members, minus any who left voluntarily or passed away.
Ben, you could read this entire board and not come away with a satisfactory answer. Try reading this:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...410-story.html

Smirking, calling a band gig a cash grab, not walking a thin line - we will not "know" until the law suit is figured out, and probably not then either. But read on.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post

the only place where anyone from the 5 FM members or anyone official talked about the walkout music for FM at MusiCares is Lindsey's interview with Rolling Stone here https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...firing-733460/

here is the quote from that article specifically addressing your question:
But on the phone, Azoff had a list of things that, as Buckingham puts it, “Stevie took issue with” that evening, including the guitarist’s outburst just before the band’s set over the intro music — the studio recording of Nicks’ “Rhiannon” — and the way he “smirked” during Nicks’ thank-you speech. Buckingham concedes the first point. “It wasn’t about it being ‘Rhiannon,’ ” he says. “It just undermined the impact of our entrance. That’s me being very specific about the right and wrong way to do something.”
that interview and the article that links to the lawsuit here https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...m-band-736063/ is the most extensive information we officially got.

i can tell you also the rumors part - but that's just stories through the grapevine that have not been officially told by band members: basically there was not supposed to be any music playing (other than crickets maybe?) as FM was walking on stage at MusiCares. instead, somehow Rhiannon track was given to the organizers to play over loudspeakers right before the band was going to launch in The Chain. it is unclear why and how that happened, but LB was not happy that it did (as he says in the RS interview too). some speculate that it was Karen/Stevie's way to gaslight LB because SN wanted him out of the band and needed a last straw.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LB was upset that a SN hit was used as the walkout music for a band award. He wanted The Chain
Old 10-31-2018, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
LB was upset that a SN hit was used as the walkout music for a band award. He wanted The Chain
Sources? I've never heard that before.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
nope. read my post above. he didn't want any walkout music. as they normally never use any when they are walking out on stage. #crickets

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Stevie fan(tasy)

Quote:
Doesn't that contradict his remark that "it wasn't about it being Rhiannon?"

If he considered himself the band's musical director, then it figures that he would want the final choice about the musical texture of their performance, including their entrance on stage--and the idea of a brief, abortive clip of Rhiannon followed by them playing The Chain sure sounds peculiar enough to warrant putting his foot down. Putting aside the (possibly accurate) conspiracy theories about LB being set up by the Stevie camp over this issue, you could simply speculate that it was about Stevie wanting/needing the atmospheric context of some introductory music (like all the music she listens to before a performance), either to pep her up or to invigorate the tuxedo crowd or both; whereas Lindsey was presumably thinking "Let's keep them in suspense, then work them up slowly with the magic of their actual performance of The Chain."

As for "Rhiannon" being untenable to LB because it's a "Stevie hit," that's silly--Lindsey helped craft that song back in the early BN days (if anyone wouldn't like it for reasons of provenance, it would be the non-BN members of the band); and even if we assume that "Rhiannon" should be construed as unduly representative of Stevie rather than the rest of the band, then wouldn't she be in the wrong to be insisting on it being used as the walk-in music in the first place?
Old 10-31-2018, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Doesn't that contradict his remark that "it wasn't about it being Rhiannon?"

If he considered himself the band's musical director, "
he didn't "consider himself" - that's what his function was. i've attended numerous Mick m&gs in 2013 (unfortunately!) and he was asked the question about who FM's musical director is numerous times, usually by eager SN fans. he would always say LB. sometimes they would not believe it (as they tend to do!), and would keep asking whether he is sure, and how come not Stevie. he would look at them exasperatingly and say - no. Lindsey.

and yes, swapping Rhiannon for The Chain not only contradicts Lindsey's story but also every behind the scenes insiders' version we've heard from other band members camps since february. it's a conjuncture from reading through the story fast.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he would look at them exasperatingly and say - no. Lindsey.
lol
Old 10-31-2018, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
he didn't "consider himself" - that's what his function was. i've attended numerous Mick m&gs in 2013 (unfortunately!) and he was asked the question about who FM's musical director is numerous times, usually by eager SN fans. he would always say LB. sometimes they would not believe it (as they tend to do!), and would keep asking whether he is sure, and how come not Stevie. he would look at them exasperatingly and say - no. Lindsey.
Have those dolts listen to her ~artistic piano plonking~ on the making of Rumours.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The walkout music issue is odd. I am surprised Lindsey would care. There are 3 singers and only one song can be selected. For example, I doubt Lindsey was upset when they played Don't Stop when the Mac won the Grammy.
I just think it shows the level of pettiness for both Lindsey and Stevie. But I bet if we walked in Lindsey's shoes we may feel the same. Many fans regard Stevie as the lead singer of the band. I believe that still irks Lindsey and rightfully so. IMHO Lindsey made Rhiannon a hit with his guitar melody. He should be very proud of that song.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The walkout music issue is odd. I am surprised Lindsey would care. There are 3 singers and only one song can be selected. For example, I doubt Lindsey was upset when they played Don't Stop when the Mac won the Grammy.
no. you are talking about a different thing. please read lindsey's interview statement and my comments above.

there are NO songs playing for a walkout of FM on stage to start playing. that's different than them receiving some award like a grammy and some of their music playing. here we are talking about the walkout music for them to start playing. like at the regular FM show. bands decide upfront and chose what to play. FM usually chooses crickets, as they are coming onto the stage (i think they still do, even on their current tour?). they don't play any songs, they play crickets. this is what we are talking about. not the music for them to come to the stage and receive the award.

this has nothing to do with WHICH song they played.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
no. you are talking about a different thing. please read lindsey's interview statement and my comments above.

there are NO songs playing for a walkout of FM on stage to start playing. that's different than them receiving some award like a grammy and some of their music playing. here we are talking about the walkout music for them to start playing. like at the regular FM show. bands decide upfront and chose what to play. FM usually chooses crickets, as they are coming onto the stage (i think they still do, even on their current tour?). they don't play any songs, they play crickets. this is what we are talking about. not the music for them to come to the stage and receive the award.

this has nothing to do with WHICH song they played.
If you are serving Rainbow Trout for dinner, you don't serve it as an appetizer before the dinner. That's all he was saying.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If you are serving Rainbow Trout for dinner, you don't serve it as an appetizer before the dinner. That's all he was saying.
Especially when they're serving +43yo sounding trout now, compared to what the audience got to hear on the walkout.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Especially when they're serving +43yo sounding trout now, compared to what the audience got to hear on the walkout.
$he is going to wake up one day and really feel horrible for what $he put in motion.