The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

could be......lol I'll post again in a couple days. We'll see.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Something remarkable just happened....after listening to this album on and off for a couple days......and getting over the fanboy stuff. I was just listening to this album, and around Stars are Crazy, I said.....I've had it. off the record went. I realize with each listen, I'm slowly cooling to it. Maybe I'll try again in a few days. We'll see. I was just shocked that that happened

Mick
Well, actually this sounds normal and healthy. It's not good to overdo a great thing, imo. If it was up to me I'd probably play it non-stop but now I'm forcing myself to listen to other stuff.(Like Lucinda Williams latest that I have had since it came out and haven't even touched...smh)

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A Break

I had to take a break as well after about 20 complete listenings (I drive in the car a lot). I listened to OOTC. Still number 1 for me. SWS is number 2. It has about five stand out tracks.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I've listened to this album about 4 times and GOS is overall WAY better. There 3 or 4 great songs here, but the rest ranges from barely mediocre to crap.I really hope the new songs he plays aren't exactly the same as the sogns from the small machine show.

1. Seeds We Sow- THis has grown on me. Its a nice littel song.

2. In Our Own Time- I love the guitar sounds he gets here.

3. Illumination- WOW!!! I love this. This could've been on Go Insane if Go Insane had good songs on it. Lindsey was always the one in Fleetwood Mac who had the 2 minute songs. This decade hes been averaging more 4 minutes a song. He should get back to the 2 minute songs that get right to the point. It works for him

4. The Way Love Goes- Initially I really didn't like this one. The repeating of the words was annoying. But its seriously grown on me. Very catchy.

5. Stars are Crazy- This sucks. I see its many peoples favorite so I won't go on much longer about how bad I think it is. I really hope he doesn't keep this song in his sets.

6. When She Comes Down-This sounds like All My Sorrows. OK song

7. Rock Away Blind- One of the better songs on the album. In no way is this his best of "these" songs that started back with Big Love and made its studio debut with Red Rover. Bel Air Rain was his perfecting of that style. This is no where near Bel Air Rain.

8. One Take- My favorite along with Illumination. I sing that chorus in my head all day long. I'm baffled that some dislike this only for the last line. He btter do this osng live.

9. Gone Too Far- It's OK. I've never heard such a blatant musical rip off as I do hear with You Do Or You Don't but thats fine.

10. End of Time- Awful.

11. She Smiled Sweetly- Eh

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Ok I've listened to this album about 4 times and GOS is overall WAY better. There 3 or 4 great songs here, but the rest ranges from barely mediocre to crap.I really hope the new songs he plays aren't exactly the same as the sogns from the small machine show.

3. Illumination- WOW!!! I love this. This could've been on Go Insane if Go Insane had good songs on it. Lindsey was always the one in Fleetwood Mac who had the 2 minute songs. This decade hes been averaging more 4 minutes a song. He should get back to the 2 minute songs that get right to the point. It works for him

4. The Way Love Goes- Initially I really didn't like this one. The repeating of the words was annoying. But its seriously grown on me. Very catchy.

5. Stars are Crazy- This sucks. I see its many peoples favorite so I won't go on much longer about how bad I think it is. I really hope he doesn't keep this song in his sets.

6. When She Comes Down-This sounds like All My Sorrows. OK song

7. Rock Away Blind- One of the better songs on the album. In no way is this his best of "these" songs that started back with Big Love and made its studio debut with Red Rover. Bel Air Rain was his perfecting of that style. This is no where near Bel Air Rain.

8. One Take- My favorite along with Illumination. I sing that chorus in my head all day long. I'm baffled that some dislike this only for the last line. He btter do this osng live.

9. Gone Too Far- It's OK. I've never heard such a blatant musical rip off as I do hear with You Do Or You Don't but thats fine.

10. End of Time- Awful.

11. She Smiled Sweetly- Eh
hmmm, i actually agree with you on most of the songs, but i'm curious why you don't want him to do Saban songs when you love 4 out of 6 he did there? i do agree he should add One Take in the set, plus Rock Away Blind, and i wouldn't mind hearing either Gone Too Far or even better You Do Or You Don't. i would also love to hear She Smiled Sweetly live, actually.

although i love GoS, and i think it was my favorite of his CDs before this one came out, i disagree that GoS (official version) is way better. SWS hangs together much better than GoS, imo. i don't skip any songs (well other than Stars are crazy) here. it flows just right for me.

and, i don't think End of Time is awful - i think the words are great and introspective - pretty normal and evolving for someone his age actually - not trying to sound chipper and young when he's not. but the poppy melody and arrangement are not exactly my cup of tea, although more FM- than LB-oriented fans seem to like exactly that. plus, when i first heard it, maybe also b/c of end-of-time wording, it reminded me of REM a lot.

Last edited by elle; 09-10-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just said I didn't want him to do those same 6. Which I guess in hindsight I could just say I want him to ditch Stars and End of Time for One Take and Rock Away Blind. And I only love Illumination and In Our Own Time. I like Rock Away Blind and Seeds We Sow I called "nice:

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

10. End of Time- Awful.
ah. this to me says, don't do SAC and EOT, do other 4.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just said I didn't want him to do those same 6. Which I guess in hindsight I could just say I want him to ditch Stars and End of Time for One Take and Rock Away Blind. And I only love Illumination and In Our Own Time. I like Rock Away Blind and Seeds We Sow I called "nice:
so actually, hate to say it but i have to agree again! - would love it if he ditches Stars and EOT, but he won't. look at some other people's reviews, guess he needs to give everybody something, not just to you and me. although i disagree, there are plenty of people who think SAC and EOT are the best on the CD - different people different tastes.

Last edited by elle; 09-10-2011 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: bad grammar...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wanted to let the album sink in a little bit before I have my actual review. Overall, I do like the album, but I was much more hooked on Gift of Screws when it came out. I was in love with some of those tracks. I can't say the same for SWS. However, there are some tracks that I do love on this album.

Seeds we Sow - This one is growing on me. I love the "aaahhhh Seeds we Sow" part. I have yet to hear the electric version besides the Amazon preview. Not too excited for this one in concert. Its no 'Shut us Down' or anything (which should close his set, not open it).

In Our Own Time - Quirky is the only word that seems to fit this song. This is definitely a song that is suited much better for the stage. Why does his guitar playing at the end sound so strange? It doesn't sound like he is playing, sounds like a computer is playing those closing strings. Anyway, this to me is like a much tamer 'Red Rover.' It will be fun to hear this live, but there are other tracks on the album I would rather hear live before this one.

Illumination - Now this song is pretty cool. Someone on here described this song as sort of a psychedellic 60's song when we first heard the clip back in April, I totally agree. This would have been a perfect FM song. I am very excited to see/hear this one live.

That's the Way Love Goes - After listening to the live version for 5 months, I was expecting something much more grand. I probably played the live version 100+ times since April. Again, his studio version is 'quirky.' The guitar solos are pretty great as well. I hope he keeps this one in the set, it really works live.

Stars Are Crazy - Not too 'crazy' about this one. Hope he drops it for the tour.

When She Comes Down - I am liking this one with each listen. Probably won't listen to it much after the album hype calms down.

Rock Away Blind - This is my FAVORITE track on the album. For me, it out does Big Love, Try for the Sun, and Bel Air Rain. This track is the ultimate and epic finger-picking goodness I was waiting for. What a BEAUTIFUL song. Strangely, this song makes me think of death. The whole bit about being on time for someone's love, their 'open shrine', spending hours of time with them, and rocking away blindly after the fact. This is, of course, my own interpretation. I will be requesting this one live!!

One Take - Ehhhh. Its like a Say You Will/OOTC hybrid song. Reminds me of 'Wrong' but sounds like something that would have gone on SYW. Can't get into this one.

Gone Too Far - You Either Do or You Don't...but this version is worse.

End of Time - Better live. Haven't heard the acoustic version yet.

She Smiled Sweetly - My 18 year old self loves that this is on the album. I remember listening to this song when I started college. I was a little bit homesick and just downloaded the GOS demos. I listened to this song all the time. I am truly happy that this cover made it on to one of his albums. I will say, though, I do miss the higher harmony part on the chorus and the violin/synth parts.

Overall, this is a good album. I would have been VERY pleased if this one came after Under the Skin. Anything would have delighted me after the sadness that UTS brought me. Anyway, here's my rank:

Out of the Cradle
Gift of Screws
Seeds We Sow
Go Insane
Under the Skin
Law and Order
Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Just got it

on Friday, late in the mail from Best Buy. (I just ordered it last Sunday.) I've only listened to the first four songs so far. I will say that the only song that stood out for me so far was That's the Way That Love Goes. So while I can't comment on the whole CD yet, I can comment on the pics on the CD jacket itself. I don't like the blurry pics of Linds. He has a little too much blush for me on the front cover, but the other pics are alright though a smile would have been nice in at least one pic. And he does look hot in black.

Lee
Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I must have listened to One Take about 20 times now. It is SOOOOO f**king great.

I hate to do this, but I can't help but compare this with IYD but listening to their new respective albums is like night and day. I never listened to a song twice in a row with IYD. The whole danmed thing was just such a danmed great cohesive unit. I would listen from beginning to end listening to each song once. Thats still what I do 5 months later. But SWS is so very hot and cold that I'm able to listen to One Take, In Our Own Time and Illumination over and over and over again. So it's kind of misleading. "In My Mind" if you will its like i must love lindseys new album because i'm listening to it so much, but in reality i'm not if I can't listen to more then those 3 songs.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

THIS album would be the greatest thing ever:

1. Great Day
2. In Our Own Time
3. One Take
4. Wait For You
5. Love Runs Deeper
6. Bel Air Rain
7. The Right Place to Fade
8. Gift of Screws
9. Illumination
10. Underground
11. Rock Away Blind

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
THIS album would be the greatest thing ever:

1. Great Day
2. In Our Own Time
3. One Take
4. Wait For You
5. Love Runs Deeper
6. Bel Air Rain
7. The Right Place to Fade
8. Gift of Screws
9. Illumination
10. Underground
11. Rock Away Blind
take out great day, love runs deeper (never understood all the love for that one), and bel air rain, and we'll almost be in agreement about the nicely rocking album you've put together! and add in live version of that's the way love goes. if i'd really listen to it though, i'd probably need a few more songs that can calm the whole thing down, besides just underground (and rock away blind to some extent).
Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yea.......bad news....This album has REALLY slid down opinion wise for me, at least. It just does not do well on repeated listening's for me. I'm bored with the record already. Feel like he's just rehashing old ideas. I attribute my initial reaction to just having a new album. With each listen more disappointment seeps in. So this may become a shelf album.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, so sorry to hear that bluefox (Mick). For me, the album has just gotten more beautiful and my favorites seem to change daily. Love it!!!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL