User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Rolling Stone's review of the East Rutherford, NJ show

I found this on Tracy's site (thanks Tracy!).

I've been finding all of the reviews quite interesting, because it seems critics are often just as split between Nicks & Buckingham as the fans can be sometimes.

Some feel Lindsey steals the show... others feel Stevie does.
He gets credited by some for his energy and enthusiasm... while others accuse him of grandstanding.
She is being praised for her regal, elegant performances... while others feel she's coming off as listless.

Some prefer his performances... some prefer hers.
I guess even many critics have a Nicks vs. Buckingham mentality!

This particular critic enjoyed Stevie a little more than Lindsey....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fleetwood Mac LIVE!

Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey May 25th, 2003 - Two stars

Surprise! Stevie Nicks shines, but a clash of egos mars the classic rockers' eagerly awaited comeback tour

At a Fleetwood Mac concert, there's nothing quite like the spectacle of an ego on parade. Just as Stevie Nicks was communing her legendary vibrato to "Dreams," a jarring rrrip intruded from the side of the stage; it was Lindsey Buckingham, adding a few too-loud guitar notes. During "Come," an Eighties-metal workout from the band's new CD, Say You Will, Buckingham's flailing actually drowned out founding rhythm players Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. For "Big Love," a gigantic screen unfurled, while Buckingham towered above the crowd, projected in stately black and white, a god. So that's what happened to the balance of power now that Christine McVie is gone.

The 2003 Mac suffered from stimulation overload: In addition to the four core members, there were two extra guitarists, a keyboardist, a percussionist and two background singers. At times the choruses seemed so stacked with vocals that they wobbled.

Thankfully, Nicks carried the show. With just one or two instruments surrounding her, she had the space to deliver affectless, commanding performances on ballads such as "Silver Springs" and "Beautiful Child." But she slid too early into the last verse of "Landslide," forgetting Buckingham's guitar solo. He horned right in there - Nicks stepped back and smiled sweetly, letting him play.

- Karen Schoemer
Old 06-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm not trying to sound chauvinistic, but it seems as though some of the female reviewers (and also some fans complaining about how several of Stevie's songs were dropped from the set) are expecting to see a Stevie Nicks concert. This may be because that's their only frame of reference other than The Dance video/tour.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Junior Ledgie

Red face wah, wah, wah...

Oh what a suprise, another Steviephile...I love Stevie as much as the next guy, but this was Lindsey's show plain and simple...and he EARNED IT. Stevie, as great as she was did pale in comparison....and that's not Lindsey's fault. It's about time he got is due if you ask me. Disclaimer: I do love Stevie, I just happen to be a really big Lindsey freak .

fmfreak
Old 06-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: wah, wah, wah...

Quote:
Originally posted by fmfreak
Oh what a suprise, another Steviephile...I love Stevie as much as the next guy, but this was Lindsey's show plain and simple...and he EARNED IT. Stevie, as great as she was did pale in comparison....and that's not Lindsey's fault. It's about time he got is due if you ask me. Disclaimer: I do love Stevie, I just happen to be a really big Lindsey freak .

fmfreak
Guy, you are my new hero. LMAO!! I felt the SAME EXACT WAY when I read that review!! WHY go to see FM and expect to see Stevie sing every single song and with her NOT playing an instrument...what else is there to watch?? Mick and his idiotic vest? UGH!!
Old 06-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What i think is happening is that things have finally evened out after,oh..25 years.From what i can tell,from the second they joined FM,Stevie was the focal point,and Linds and his amazing guitar playing were taken for granted in a way..of course he was gonna be great..that was a given..it was predictable.Whereas Stevie back in the day was a bit harder to read..you never knew what she was gonna do onstage,or how she was gonna sing a song.Now..Stevie is our predictable one..and Linds is Mr. Spontaneous...i think it is awesome...I've seen Stevie 10 times solo..and love her as i do...Lindsey's performance in Worcester freakin blew my mind..not that i didn't love Stevie's performance..but i kinda knew what she was gonna do before she did it..and i didn't really mind...long as she keeps singing with that voice of hers..I am set..I really like the dynamic FM has now..it is different than before but it is great

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 06-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really think Fleetwood Mac is now Buckingham Nicks II. Stevie had always taken a supporting role when it was just the two of them, and now she is doing it again. Also if her hip problem is still lingering, it would be natural for her to be more subdued, and taking care of herself.
I personally do think Lindsey has been,um, beating his guitars up unnecessarily-LOL! I mean, no one has ever disputed his ability to play wonderfully and he definitely has a style all his own. But he's obviously relishing his moment on this tour. Yes I do think he'e earned it, but I could do without him thrashing about. He really dosent have anything to prove, they have a legacy. Years ago I read an interview where they were saying he wasnt flashy but a more TASTEFUL lead guitarist would be hard to find. And that's how I feel about it.
It will be great to see them in San Jose, since Lindsey grew up in Atherton, just a few miles north. It will be almost like a homecoming for them both.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What issue is this review in? Is it the Christina/Justin issue? I saw it on the newsstand but have yet to get my copy in the mail
Is there a picture to accompany the review?

Thanks for any info you can provide me

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 06-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

macmar---yes it's in the Christina/Justin issue. There's a photo at the top, and there are fan views on the bottom of the page.
"We may be making, maybe in some ways making the best music of our lives, but what's under that is the tenderness--and the care that still exists and somehow managed to survive through all of those times, and through all the twists and turns that we have taken."--Lindsey Buckingham
Old 06-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sally....Thanks for the info and now I must go and hunt down my mailman for my issue! If my mailman looked like Lindsey that might be fun but unfortunately he looks more like that Nintendo character Mario.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009