Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2007 Mac Tour

this thread was six pages long, so i had to edit it a bit. i cut out some content because we were getting off topic, about the troll, about stevie & lindsey, etc. so what's left should basically revolve around what a 2007 mac tour without christine means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McK
It seems that John has confirmed, subject to finalisation, some sort of FM tour next year. Since it's a 40 year anniversary for the band, and 30 years for Rumours, do you think Chris might pop along to one of the gigs? Either in a guest capacity or as an audience member?

Even if - as we all know - she would feel uncomfortable performing I really feel that after their attempt to obliterate Chris from history on the SYW tour the least they could do is acknowledge her contribution more clearly. And Peter Green, for that matter. Maybe a version of Oh Well and that much-sought-after version of YMLF they were rehearsing for the 2003 tour??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail
I doubt very much whether she'd perform on stage - if they tour in 2007 it will be 10 years since she last played live!

If they come to London I think it would be really nice if she at least came on stage for a bow.

So we could all say thanks for 30 years of great music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcviefan
Yeah, I don't think she'd perform live. If she didn't want to at 60 years of age, she certainly wouldn't want to at 64. I think Mick would probably be able to talk her into going to a show, maybe even taking a bow at the end of the show. I'm not sure if Lindsey would allow that though.

I defintely wouldn't want to hear anyone other than Christine sing "You Make Loving Fun".
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Having witnessed Ms Nicks murdering Don't Stop twice ( "why not think about the things you've done and not about the things that you've done" - close Stevie but not close enough) I can't imagine the pain of hearing her destroy You Make Lovin Fun.

Actually it wouldn't make any difference because unless I have proof positive that Christine will be on stage (in triplicate signed in Lindsey Buckingham's blood) I wont be going to another FM concert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK
Hear hear.

I know she won't ever play alongside them again. I don't want them to tour again -- they'll just become an empty nostalgia band, which they were in danger of doing on the SYW tour. It's obviously for the money, and frankly they are not getting mine!

PS: Thanks to Lis over at Ledge, John just added in an answer:

"I spoke to Chris quite recently but recipes didn't come up. I'll have to drop her an e-mail and see what's cooking, so to speak. She sounded very well and I hope to get to see her if we do London on the next tour."

So, as we knew, looks like they aren't exactly factoring her in to any performance plans!!
Quote:
I was very relieved to hear that she is doing well. I also agree with what you said about Fleetwood Mac touring again. It's got to end sometime. I'd rather had some of those old vintage recordings & DVDs released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinLis
But it goes both ways as well...she probably doesn't *want* to be factored in, unfortunately. In another response, John mentioned that Chris recently told him 'she never really felt comfortable onstage'. Just the fact that she said that implies that they were probably discussing upcoming FM plans etc... and maybe she chimed in that she doesn't really miss it...? in any case I doubt she will ever be onstage again in any capacity. although a wave and a bow at the end of a show would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK
Of course, I agree Lis. I think the last thing Chris wants is to rejoin, and especially as she managed to break away so effectively in 98. I reckon if she'd stayed in LA and retired they'd have been able to coax her back; it's the fact that she moved geographically that stopped her getting entangled again. As long as she's happy, which - according to John - she seems to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Liar
I think the most we could ever get out of her, is her dredging up on stage to sing "Don't Stop" in London.

----My thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace
I have absolutely no interest in seeing the Mac without Christine, if they are playing in a big venue with big venue prices. If I could see them in a club or at worst a small arena, and the tickets were a reasonable price, I would go, mostly to see Mick, whose antics on stage I have always found very enjoyable.

If Christine were to do a live performance, I'd much rather see her do a solo show. I think she'd do very well as part of an acoustic duo or trio -- herself on keyboards with one guitarist and maybe a drummer.
Quote:
The rumour was that she was going to do that at London in 2003 but she declined the offer.

some of us were daft enough to buy another ticket on the strength of it having been once and not particularly enjoyed it (the phrase more money than sense comes to mind)

Oh Well
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK
Yeah although another rumour was that only Mick and Stevie asked her -- the other two weren't so keen, I heard. Can't remember where I read that. There is no way she'd do it again, it's been too long and as she told Steve Wright she'd have massive stage fright (or a 'heart attack on stage' in her own words). Shame, but we Christine fans have known that for a long time I suppose.
Quote:
Yes I heard that Mick and Stevie were keen but John and Lindsey less so -perhaps they thought she might overshadow them?

I don't think we're ever going to see her on stage with FM again (performing or otherwise) I just wish they'd toured in Europe with The Dance. I'd have loved the chance to see the Rumours lineup one more time. (sigh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer McVie
I certainly don't see John caring. Now, that big spoiled brat Buckingham, absolutely! He's got control issues.
Quote:
John seemed to think that there was no point in taking part in the recording if she wasn't going to "work" the album and Lindsey behaved very petulantly after Christine left.

I can't see why she couldn't have recorded but not toured. It would only have meant about 6 more songs that they couldn't play live.

I recently checked out the set list for the SYW tour - usually 25 songs of which only 6 were from SYW, 3 from Stevie and 3 from Lindsey. So if Chris had participated in the album then she would only have got 2 new songs to play live.

So if she had wanted to record and that's a BIG if then I don't see why there was a problem.

I know Lindsey enjoyed the extra freedom he had - pity he didn't use it very well (IMO)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK
Gail is right. John has said more than once he didn't see the point in Chris doing any recording if she was not prepared to tour. I expect that is because he really only cares about performing live. I believe John and Lindsey weren't keen, but as you point out, LB for different reasons!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberboots
Maybe Christine will write a book someday about her life in rock music. Wouldn't that be nifty? Although, the fizzling out of the Q&A doesn't quite bespeak a commitment to the written word.

I'm new here, by the way! A whole new slew of smilies to learn . . .
Quote:
What up, David?
Quote:
What a good idea! About Christine writing a book, that is. The tales she could tell! My oh my. And then she'd have to do a book promotion tour, where she could play solo shows at small clubs, reading a few excerpts from the book and doing solo acoustic versions of many of her songs.

(Sigh) I can dream, can't I?
Quote:
In that VH1 Classic interview a few years ago, she did mention something about maybe her brother helping her write a book. I'm not sure if she was actually serious about it though.
Quote:
I didn't see the interview but I got the impression that she was joking (more's the pity)

I think an autobiography or biography by her brother would be a really interesting read. I just wonder though that she might gloss over some of the more unsavoury aspects of life with FM (John?) to save the blushes of others?

On a similar note I read on another board that Carol Ann Harris' book might be resurfacing.
Quote:
I don't know if she was actually joking in that interview. The interviewer asked her if she was going to write a book. She said "Now, you've planted a seed." She also said she wasn't very good at writing, but her brother was. The interviewer then said that she'd then have to tell her brother everything in her past. Chris said that he already know everything anyway. I'd love for her to write a book, but I'd be surprised if she did. A book(assuming she'd tell all) would probably be very, very embarassing to John. I don't think she'd want to do that.

Now that Carol Ann Harris book most likely would be VERY embarrassing to Lindsey. I thought it had been shelved. I'd definitely read that book if it ever is released.
Quote:
I think it would be difficult for Christine to do an honest book without hurting people she still cares about. I mean there was a lot of alcohol and drug abuse during their crazy times. It would be difficult to strike the right balance between "kiss and tell" and squeaky clean. Let's face it FM have NEVER been squeaky clean! I think that John's behaviour was particularly bad when he was drunk so you couldn't leave that out but I suppose you could talk about it without dwelling on it. I'd love her or her brother to do a book but somehow I can't see it.

I'd buy Carol Ann's book but I think it could be on the "kiss and tell" side
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinLis
A book from Chris would be amazing. I think she could exclude anything too awful with blanket statements like 'alcohol can bring out the worst in people and we were no exception.' as some of you have said, i don't think she'd want to go into gory details after all this time, esp concerning John. But IMO she could be honest while still being tasteful--I'd be happy even if she wanted to stick w/ the better memories and leave the horrible ones out! I'll take what i can get! even just her take on the band from the time she met them in their early days through all the changes....argh that would be like a drug to me LOL.

And i'd love to read the carol ann book; i bet she'd have lots of dirt.
Quote:
It's funny how we both think that Christine could do a tasetful book without dwelling too much on the more unsavoury aspects of life with FM but we'd still buy the Carol Ann (I'll dish the dirt) Harris book BECAUSE it probably wont be tasteful!
Quote:
That's why I'd buy it!
Quote:
yeah me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallis_said_woo
Well if Fleetwood Mac do tour in 2007 they best just come to England! Because as I'm only 15 and have only JUST got a Saturday job I cannot afford to be travelling off to America. But I really hope they come soon and it's not too expensive. I'll be dragging all my friends there and although it's a shame Christine Mc Vie may not be singing, I still agree with some of the other people and she should atleast take a bow on stage. Yes, DAMN RIGHT! xxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK
She'd probably keel over with fright, even for a bow!!

My brother actually said he'd come with me to see them in 2007 if they come to the UK, which is a *real* change of attitude. I must say, though, that they'd have to do a different show to the SYW tour. Personally, I can't see them topping The Dance - Christine's absence notwithstanding. I'd like them to delve into their back catalogue some more, and give us a few more of the so-called 'obscurities' the US 2004 tour showcased. (And not keep axing them from the setlist in favour of overdone 'standards. I'll say no more.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicstorm
If FM tour in 2007 I think it would be such a celebration for Christine to go on, sit the crap down and head out and tour with the band. The anniversaries are not only for FM but for her as well, she deserves and owes it to herself to celebrate her time with FM and all the many milestones and wonderful music they shared together. I personally think it would be such a wonderful tribute to not only the other band members but to Christine's fans as well. She must know how much she is missed and this would be a way to celebrate anniversaries of music, friends, family and fans. 10 years I think is a long enough break to do what you have to do and what not. I think it would be a great time to go out and look back and be part of history all over again. But hey, this is just my biased opinion, if I had it my way I would drag Christine out on stage kick Stevie to side vocals and have Christine get center stage!
Quote:
Has anyone else heard about the 2007 tour, whether it's final or not?
Quote:
As far as I know, nothing is final. I guess it depends what Stevie & Lindsey want to do. We're still only in July 2006.
Quote:
Yeah I know! I'm just so excited though! I would still love to see them again even if Christine doesn't make it, but I guess that's what I'm so excited about is to see what is going to come out of Christine's camp about the tour! It would be so exciting if she joined the group! But my hopes are way up, but I'll even settle for a guest appearance!
Quote:
If it's just the same as the last tour, I'm out. Only adding former members could make me go(of course I mean Chris, but I'd go if they'd add Bob Welch, too).

BTW, it's really nice to see folks posting here again!
Quote:
I'm finished with them too. The Dance was it for me. It was a great way to end it. If there's no Christine, then no me either.

It is VERY nice to see more people posting here again too, especially since I just recently found out how to post a picture in my signature
Quote:
That's true for me as well. As for Bob Welch joining in, that's only going to happen if Mick puts together a mega-reunion of all eras of the band. If that happened, I would definitely want to be there. I know there has been discussion of this at the Bob Welch message board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
i will third that. i saw them on the dance, and now i have no desire to see the band live again without christine. it's pretty obvious she's not going to tour with them if something happens next year, but if they put out some kind of box set with a few new tracks, i hope they will let her record with them. i think it was ridiculous they wouldn't let her in the studio for SYW because she didn't want to tour. i get upset just thinking about how good that album might have been
Quote:
That still makes me mad when I think about it too. I specifically remember an online chat that Mick did in Dec. 2001(I even remember when it was). Someone asked about Christine recording for the new album, which eventually became SYW. He said that she would be writing 2 new songs & adding vocals. Then nothing. I don't blame Mick. I believe that Stevie & Lindsey said no way. She had to tour & record...it was all or nothing. They wanted to do a Buckingham/Nicks album. Well, that's what they got & Stevie, at least wasn't happy with how it turned out, which actually pleases me to no end.

I would love if they would allow her to record a track or two for a box set, but there's been no talk of that from what I've heard. I believe she'd do it too. Remember the Chain Box Set? Mick allowed Lindsey to put one of his outtakes from Out Of The Cradle on that box set, even though no one else from Fleetwood Mac is on that track.
Quote:
As far as the "no tour" thing goes, I kinda understand it.
I mean, Chris is/was, BY FAR, the most likely to have a HIT from the album. So then, they've got a hit, and a tour on which they can't play it.

I guess they could specifically NOT release any of her songs as singles
Quote:
Quote:
I mean, Chris is/was, BY FAR, the most likely to have a HIT from the album. So then, they've got a hit, and a tour on which they can't play it.

I guess they could specifically NOT release any of her songs as singles....
That's true. I kind of see why the rest of the gang would want Christine on board completely or not at all. I mean, like you said if she just makes an appearance on a song or two or performs and writes a song or two and would likely be some kind of hit, it wouldn't be able to be performed. That's why I couldn't really care for an all cast box set. I would so prefer and all cast appearance and performance! That would be one of those once in a life time experiences to witness!
Quote:
did NOT know that mick had said she would contribute new material to SYW!!!!! now i am extremely angry, moreso than before. and why is it ok for lindsey not to have toured for tango, but for christine it has to be all or nothing? what kind of ridiculousness is that!?

i don't have the box set. at the time i was too poor to afford it. someone was nice enough to make me a copy, but i lost the cassettes shortly afterwards and then i just never bothered to do anything about it. i figured it wasn't worth it since i pretty much have everything that's on it anyway. but which OOTC song was it? i can't remember the track list and i'm too lazy to google.

i also didn't know that stevie was unhappy with how SYW turned out. i didn't really follow any press for the album (hmmm, i wonder why!), especially after reading one or two things where lindsey was defensive to the point of being offensive regarding christine's absence. however, i did see destiny rules, and i know stevie was harping on lindsey about the whole double album situation. . .but other than that, what was she displeased with?
Quote:
Quote:

I guess they could specifically NOT release any of her songs as singles....
well nothing's stopped them from playing her other hits on tour.

i still think this is an inadequate excuse from the band (and by band, i mean certain members). even if she didn't tour behind it, a hit would have brought more attention to the album than no hit, right? one would think that kind of visibility outweights the minor problem of not being able to perform it with her on stage.

the people who attended that tour would have gone and seem them live with or without a christine mcvie hit single. that would never have changed. the band wouldn't have been losing out tour-wise, is my point. but they gave up the possibility of having something that could have been something much greater in album sales (and critical reception).
Quote:
"Make Me A Mask" was the OOTC outtake that's on that box set. It's the last track on disc 1. There's no way that anyone else in Fleetwood Mac is on that track.

I think Stevie did some interviews early this year or late last year for some sort of tour that she did, I believe in Australia. She said that SYW was not a satisfying creative experience. She didn't like what Lindsey did with her songs. She also admitted that all that onstage silliness with Lindsey was all an act.
Quote:
well i guess i'd have to agree with her on that! i don't really like what he did with the majority of her songs either. which is interesting because i like everything he did with his. LOL
Quote:
So if the Mac's go on tour next year, will anyone here go and see them if Chris is not part of the group? I think I would go. I'm thinking that it could well be the last tour for a long time if the last forever. I think as a group (Including Chris) they are still a dynamic group together. If Chris is involved, that is where my eyes will be the entire time, since I have never seen her in person before, OMG what a dream come true that would be, no really it would!! I love you Christine!! *kisses*
Quote:
Dude, you're such a girl! Laughing
Of course I would go see them if Chris was back in(she won't be though, I'm 99.9% sure about this). The ONLY way I'd see them without her is if they added some other former members(Bob Welch mainly. I'd like to see Peter or Danny, but I don't think even Pete's ABLE to do it, Danny is completely unable-IMO).
For the billionth time- they should do a one-off. Rehearse for a few weeks with Chris, Pete, and Bob, and do one or two shows,with all the older, AWESOME material, and SELL THE DVD TO ALL OF US!
Quote:
agree with homer, it's 99.9% certain that she won't come back if something happens in 2007. however, if one was to consider the .1% side of the story, of course i would go! even if it was just for one date and i had to buy a plane ticket to get there, nothing would stop me. (not even poverty!)

if she isn't a part of it, then i don't really have a strong desire to see stevie and lindsey SYW redux. i might consider going, but it certainly wouldn't be a high priority on my "to do" list.
Quote:
I have no interest in seeing Fleetwood Mac without Christine. In all honesty, I'm not even sure there is that .1% chance that she'd do a tour, even for one night. She didn't do "Don't Stop" in London 3 years ago. Incidentally, someone on the Ledge had talked to someone in the crew in London & she said that Mick & Stevie were all for Chris doing "Don't Stop". It was Lindsey(no surprise) & John who didn't want her up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystified_Jen
Providing the Mac come to the UK, I'll be there, with or without Chris. I'm a relatively new fan and have never seen them live - if the opportunity comes my way, I'll grab it with both hands! Of course, I know that having Christine there would make the tour so much better, but it would be a dream come true for me, regardless of whether she's there or not. My fandom doesn't particularly lean towards any one member, so if any of them were missing, I'd probably still go.
Quote:
I saw FM on their "Say you will" tour and I must say they are still amazing to see live. It's was my first time to see them, although without Christine, it really missed a whole lot about who the group is. It really was a bitter sweet moment. I personally have always leaned towards Christine, even before they toured. I think they are turely missing the greatest element to FM without Chris. But at the end of the day with or without Christine, they are still a pleasure to watch. I really hope they tour one way or another...
Quote:
I won't go see FM if it's Lindsay/Stevie. However, I would see FM if any of the former members that Homer mentioned were to appear. I'm a big fan of Bob Welch, both his stuff with and outside of FM. (He has a fabulous website, by the way, and a message board where he frequently posts.) Bob does the occasional one-off show but I don't think he's actually toured in many, many years. As for Peter Green, I did see him perform with his band the Splinter Group about five years ago, and he was great -- played and sang beautifully -- does anyone know if they are still an active group? It seems that he might actually be the most likely former member to make an appearance at a FM show.
Quote:
The Splinter Group is no longer active. I believe they were officially disbanded about 3 years ago. I'm not sure what the state of Peter Green's health is right now. I think that may have been why his band broke up, although I could be wrong about that.
Quote:
Quote:
I saw FM on their "Say you will" tour and I must say they are still amazing to see live. It's was my first time to see them, although without Christine, it really missed a whole lot about who the group is. It really was a bitter sweet moment. I personally have always leaned towards Christine, even before they toured. I think they are turely missing the greatest element to FM without Chris. But at the end of the day with or without Christine, they are still a pleasure to watch. I really hope they tour one way or another...
i'm sure it was a good show, it just wasn't the show i wanted to see. i had several friends try and coax me out to a couple of their tour dates, but i just couldn't do it. i wanted my memory of chris and 'the dance' to stay untouched. and i know if i had seen the SYW tour or if i go to see this hypothetical 2007 tour, all i'll be able to do afterwards is talk about how much chris could have brought to the table and how sad it seems without her. to me, she'll always be the heart of the band, and if the fleetwood mac of today were some other group with some other name, i might be able to accept it more. but as is, i just can't.
Quote:
You know, I've reconsidered -- I *might* go see Fleetwood Mac even without Christine, if the tickets were a reasonable enough price, but the main reason I'd go would be Mick. I'm a big fan of Mick Fleetwood. I've watched some old FM videos recently and they reminded me of what fun he is live. I think it would be pretty cool to go to a rock concert and watch the drummer all night.

If I went, I'd wear my Christine t-shirt from the 1984 tour, and I'd be sure to immediately bring up Christine to anyone who opened a conversation with me.
Quote:
and i will be right there with you wearing my t-shirt, annoying all the chiffonheads with my endless "oh if only christine were here" diatribes! what are the chances that this behaviour might incite a riot or some kind of violence?