The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Backing vocals on which DW song?

Hi Christine fans! I'm new....and I have a question that I hope hasn't been answered a hundred times. It's really hard to go thru all the old threads, so forgive me to ask again.

I have a friend who is very into Dennis Wilson, and made a mix CD for me. He told me to listen for Christine in one song. He thought it was "Love Surrounds Me". Then he said maybe it was "Baby Blue." I am wondering if maybe there are no vocals, but just piano parts she did? Can anyone shed some light on what her contributions were, what songs, and any tidbits/stories you might know?

Thank you!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe it's Love Surrounds Me

I've just listened to it but I can't really tell if she's on it or not

Gail
Old 06-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Abbi, welcome I'm new too!
I knew that in 1977 Chris contributed to the album "Pacific Ocean Blue" by Dennis Wilson, even if she's not mentioned in it... but I'm sure your friend is right since one of the songs you mentioned can be found in the Disc Two: Bambu (The Caribou Sessions) from the 30th Anniversary Edition of that album.
I'm also sure Chris was involved in the back vocals, because Carli Munoz was already playing the piano.....I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iMiOJZyOnM
Munoz, Wilson and a chamber orchestra directed by Jimmy Haskell were at the backyard of Chris' home in Beverly Hills; Dennis sang "You are so beautiful" for Christine as a surprise birthday party present, so I think there was already a partnership between them.

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 06-03-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow thanks for the replies! The thing is, I listened closely to "Love Surrounds me", and so did my best friend Janet, who used to be a mod on the Ledge, and neither one of us could really hear her singing. I was straining to hear!! At one point I sort of thought I could hear her voice, but I was only wishing it I think This is why I really was not sure, because it surely is not THAT obvious like I had hoped it would be when I got hold of the track. If anyone knows where exactly I could hear her in the song, feel free to break it down into what minute/second I should look out for, LOL!

And thanks again for the help!!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting...I'm a pretty big Dennis Wilson fan, and have listened to the album many times. I haven't ever noticed Christine vocals, though it's possible that they're far back in a mix or that she sang on one of the worse "bonus" tracks that I've only given a few listens to. I read a Beach Boys forum semi-regularly, and haven't heard any mention of Christine on Bambu. He was still with Karen Lamm when he was making Pacific Ocean Blue...

I would love to be wrong.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Senior Ledgie

I also read about it in a Beach Boys book about a "Guide to all their recordings" or something like that. It did say "Love Surrounds Me." If that was on Bambu, then yes that's the one and not "Pacific Ocean Blue." Perhaps she is buried WAY down in the mix, but it would be amazing if she was prominent!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi everyone,
finally I found something interesting and specific about the backing vocals of Chris in "Love surrounds me" song: Andrew Doe wrote in his book about the Beach Boys, that the high vocal on the fade is Christine. Chris comes in on the harmonies around 2:04 and stays until the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24-Gq7b5s8
I could hear her voice VERY well at 2:04, 2:45, 3:04 and 3:11!

Further information can be found here: http://www.danaddington.com/denny/newbamboo.html

"The Ultimate Bamboo

6. LOVE SURROUNDS ME - One of Dennis' prettiest, saddest numbers, "Love Surrounds Me" is the only released composition co-written by Dennis and Beach Boy collaborator Geoffrey Cushing-Murray. Initially tagged for BAMBOO (along with "Baby Blue [Eyes]"), the song was handed over to the Beach Boys for the 1979 LA (LIGHT ALBUM), effectively killing any notion of a proposed Dennis Wilson solo release. Various sources credit the background vocals on the tag to either vocalist Marisa Conover, or to Christine McVie (!!!), member of the legendary band Fleetwood Mac, and Dennis' love interest at the time.

11. LOVE SURROUNDS ME (REPRISE) - Underneath Dennis and Christine McVie/Marisa Conover's sensitive vocals, “Love Surrounds Me” is a beautiful, moody and evocative musical performance. This rare stereo backing track features some minor differences from the finished mix of the song and serves as the perfect closing theme to this magnificent collection. "

At the end of this page: http://www.danaddington.com/denny/releasedmusic.html
"Sessions w/ Christine McVie, ca.1979-80, Stebbins" (Sessions for BAMBOO)

Christine is also mentioned here: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/chris...123915/credits
"1977 Pacific Ocean Blue Dennis Wilson Featured Artist, Vocals (Background) "

And here : http://thejonstebbins.com/news.html
"Dozens of musicians and singers collaborated on the Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu sessions, which took place at numerous studios around Los Angeles , Seattle , and Miami. (....). A host of background vocalists included Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac, Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell of America , Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean, and more."

Hope these information will be useful to you, specially for AbbiJoy and her friend

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 06-09-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yes, thank you VERY much! That was great information indeed! I appreciate that you took the time to post all of that!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
Yes, thank you VERY much! That was great information indeed! I appreciate that you took the time to post all of that!
You're welcome, Abbi!
I like to do researches and help people, so even if I'm still new to the forum I'll always try to do my best