User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
I am pretty sure that this ALbum will SURPRISE and at LEAST get to the same Chart position as IYD. If not for a week... it WILL stick around a bit longer. Especially with a Fleetwood Mac tour happening the same time.
I'm not sure what it is but I also think this. I think with IYD, Stevie hadn't been doing a lot for about a year after the unleashed tour. There wasn't much promotion, only once the album was out and she STILL performed the same old Edge of Seventeen and Stand Back. As good as they are, she should've performed songs from the album.

As I've said before, performing For What it's Worth and releasing it as the second single from the album was a BIG mistake. Who under the age of 40 or a Stevie and FM fan would be interested in that?! I couldn't understand it at the time. Moonlight could've been a hell of a lot bigger than ANY of the two singles and would've maintained the short lived success of IYD.

Even though I've only heard a couple of clips from the new album courtesy of a very kind and considerate Dave Stewart who every single Stevie fan should be grateful to, they sound quite commercial and really good with more of a rock element to them.

Stevie and FM have gained a lot more fans in the last three years since IYD and it shows in FM's most recent tour grossing around $100 million. Also, AHS Coven gained Stevie a lot more younger fans and the IYD documentary got quite a lot of attention too.

All of these things and the fact that there has been a lot of promotion for 24 karat on social media makes me think that this album should at least sell a similar amount to IYD and should chart higher in a lot of countries including the US and UK. Fleetwood Mac has had an almost permanent residency on the album charts and Stevie has made one or two appearances on TV and radio so the album should receive more attention than IYD that actually did pretty well in the UK.

I for one am expecting good things for this album.

Last edited by James89; 07-31-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I'm not sure what it is but I also think this. I think with IYD, Stevie hadn't been doing a lot for about a year after the unleashed tour. There wasn't much promotion, only once the album was out and she STILL performed the same old Edge of Seventeen and Stand Back. As good as they are, she should've performed songs from the album.

As I've said before, performing For What it's Worth and releasing it as the second single from the album was a BIG mistake. Who under the age of 40 or a Stevie and FM fan would be interested in that?! I couldn't understand it at the time. Moonlight could've been a hell of a lot bigger than ANY of the two singles and would've maintained the short lived success of IYD.

Even though I've only heard a couple of clips from the new album courtesy of a very kind and considerate Dave Stewart who every single Stevie fan should be grateful to, they sound quite commercial and really good with more of a rock element to them.

Stevie and FM have gained a lot more fans in the last three years since IYD and it shows in FM's most recent tour grossing around $100 million. Also, AHS Coven gained Stevie a lot more younger fans and the IYD documentary got quite a lot of attention too.

All of these things and the fact that there has been a lot of promotion for 24 karat on social media makes me think that this album should at least sell a similar amount to IYD and should chart higher in a lot of countries including the US and UK. Fleetwood Mac has had an almost permanent residency on the album charts and Stevie has made one or two appearances on TV and radio so the album should receive more attention than IYD that actually did pretty well in the UK.

I for one am expecting good things for this album.

Yes. Not releasing Moonlight as a single was a huge mistake. It would have been HUGE with all the Trailer Park Cat Ladies and Future Trailer Park Cat Ladies in Training who were/are fans of Twilight. Alas...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
SInce it is going to be on Vinyl, it will be in every Urban Outfitters and every Hipster wannabe Gurl will be there buying it to play on their crappy suitcase retro Crosly turntable.
No. The press release stated that the double vinyl was a "limited edition". I don't think you'll be able to find it in a lot of stores. I'm not sure how many copies they will be pressing on vinyl, but the track record with Warner Brothers (and this is just going by their usual number of "limited editions" for annual Record Store Day) is normally only 7,500 copies. My advice to everyone is to snatch up how ever many copies you want when they are available for pre-order.

Oh yeah, and Crosley turntables SUUUUUUCK!!! They are cheaply made and usually stop working within a year or two. Buyer beware.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
No. The press release stated that the double vinyl was a "limited edition". I don't think you'll be able to find it in a lot of stores. I'm not sure how many copies they will be pressing on vinyl, but the track record with Warner Brothers (and this is just going by their usual number of "limited editions" for annual Record Store Day) is normally only 7,500 copies. My advice to everyone is to snatch up how ever many copies you want when they are available for pre-order.

Oh yeah, and Crosley turntables SUUUUUUCK!!! They are cheaply made and usually stop working within a year or two. Buyer beware.
Any ideas what time Eastern Time the preorder will begin? 12am?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Seeing how In Your Dreams didn't go anywhere near Gold (just over 150,000 copies sold, right?), I'd have to think 7,500 pressings of 24K on vinyl would be a big mistake. I'm thinking the vinyl run will be much smaller than that- perhaps 500-1000 copies.

Quote:
I've gotten 2 of those things as gifts now- the first lasted about a year after very limited use. I got the second one for my birthday this year- we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No. The press release stated that the double vinyl was a "limited edition".
EVERY vinyl record has that sticker. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Yet there are albums in every store. That is just how they sell those things so people want it more and buy it impulsively. If they sell out, they press more. "limited edition" has been a way to sell sell sell since... forever.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No. The press release stated that the double vinyl was a "limited edition". I don't think you'll be able to find it in a lot of stores. I'm not sure how many copies they will be pressing on vinyl, but the track record with Warner Brothers (and this is just going by their usual number of "limited editions" for annual Record Store Day) is normally only 7,500 copies.
Right. Many albums, even in the high demand period for vinyl that we are in, have less than 0,000 copies pressed. The most popular albums get extra pressings, and a very few albums are kept in print (Strangely, Portishead's Portishead is always in print).

Vinyl is relatively expensive to press because of the small quantities, and no label is going to press 100,000+ copies of anything in hopes that they eventually sell.

I expect this double LP to retail at about $29.99, but the pre-order might be higher, as prices for artist pre-sales of vinyl are often higher than average retail.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. Not releasing Moonlight as a single was a huge mistake. It would have been HUGE with all the Trailer Park Cat Ladies and Future Trailer Park Cat Ladies in Training who were/are fans of Twilight. Alas...
I don't think any choice of singles would have gotten any significant airplay to bolster In Your Dreams sales. Radio just doesn't put older artists into heavy rotation. Clear Channel media owns over 90% of US radio stations. They basically decide who to put on the radio, and which artists to push, etc. Like Stevie said over a decade ago in the Destiny Rules documentary, it's the very young (about 10-25) who buy albums these days; and they aren't going to buy a double album by a woman old enough to be their grandmother. Hence why older artists don't get any radio support.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Seeing how In Your Dreams didn't go anywhere near Gold (just over 150,000 copies sold, right?)
Not quite. It has sold just over 200,000 copies in the US and will likely keep selling slowly with the release of 24 karat because Stevie will most probably mention IYD in her interviews and TV appearances.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
EVERY vinyl record has that sticker. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Yet there are albums in every store. That is just how they sell those things so people want it more and buy it impulsively. If they sell out, they press more. "limited edition" has been a way to sell sell sell since... forever.
I don't know what universe you live in, but I buy almost all of my favorite music on vinyl, and this simply isn't true. Limited means limited, and while *sometimes* more copies are pressed, more often they are not.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I live in the current present and same Universe as the rest of the ledgies. Specifically, Chicago. Located in the Local Group of Galaxies, Sol Sector. And I spend a significant amount of time at the records stores here in chicago, usually every weekend I am there browsing the new releases bin. 8/10 of them say "limited edition!" or sometimes even a Number printed on it. There, or sometimes Urban outfitters when I feel like being around stupid Hipsters buying Prefab Hispter outfits. Also, at the local "new" record stores. One opened last week near me that ONLY sells new vinyl, and I will tell ya... they all had those LImited Edition stickers

I do this because I am an audiophile that collects this stuff. Trust me, they are gonna make the same number of copies as they did for the ****ty artists like Barbra Striesand's last release, which I still see in stores, ****tier artists with even smaller fan base, like Cher, which I still see in stores and super ****tiest artists that even smaller fan base. There are still "limited editions" of Led Zep hanging around some of the lessor Urban Outfitters here in Chicago and NW INdiana.

Maybe something like Adele they made or make more copies, but limited edition is meaning less these days. Maybe compared to the 1980s, when they printed hundreds of thousands, it is all relative.

Hell, I even see "limited Edition" on SNACKS at the grocery store and on bottles of Pop. Months on end. "Limited Edition" is a sales tactic. The Ledgies that want it on Vinyl will buy it the first week. Its the ones that wait a till maybe Christmas that will have the trouble getting it.

Even HUGELY successful albums like Daft Punk Random Access Memory that has been out a year was LImited Edition. There are some still in stock in places, but I am guessing it has sold well enough that there are more on the way.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Limited Edition" doesn't mean much...Remember the "Limited Edition" of the "IYD" DVD??? It was advertised as only 500 copies made but after the first 500 quickly sold out a second run of 500 was made available...If the demand is there more copies will be pressed...
Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
more attention than IYD that actually did pretty well in the UK.
Stevie promoted the hell out of IYD in the UK. There were huge billboards for it in my nearest city centre and I remember seeing posts on the tube for it. She was BBC breakfast, loose women, a lot of radio 2 promo's, AND her appearance at Hard Rock Calling Festival, but it still missed the top 10. The only other time she has promoted anything outside Fleetwood Mac here was OSOTM.

However, I have noticed far more emphasis on promotion via the net recently. Tori Amos's (who hasn't had a top 10 album since 1998) latest album hit #13 in the charts on the back of largely social media and internet promotion.

There was huge Fleetwood Mac hype here for the tour last year - they got lots of media attention, especially the O2 shows, and Rumours propelled itself back up to #3 in the album charts.

On the back of that, I can see Stevie's next album being more of a success, just like OSOTM was following Tango.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
"Limited Edition" doesn't mean much...Remember the "Limited Edition" of the "IYD" DVD??? It was advertised as only 500 copies made but after the first 500 quickly sold out a second run of 500 was made available...If the demand is there more copies will be pressed...
1000 copies is still exceptionally limited. The edition with the photos was the limited one, and it is no longer available.

Quote:
I do this because I am an audiophile that collects this stuff. Trust me, they are gonna make the same number of copies as they did for the ****ty artists like Barbra Striesand's last release, which I still see in stores, ****tier artists with even smaller fan base, like Cher, which I still see in stores and super ****tiest artists that even smaller fan base. There are still "limited editions" of Led Zep hanging around some of the lessor Urban Outfitters here in Chicago and NW INdiana.

Maybe something like Adele they made or make more copies, but limited edition is meaning less these days. Maybe compared to the 1980s, when they printed hundreds of thousands, it is all relative.

Even HUGELY successful albums like Daft Punk Random Access Memory that has been out a year was LImited Edition. There are some still in stock in places, but I am guessing it has sold well enough that there are more on the way.
It all depends on the demand and the label and the artist. If 24 Karat only gets 10,000 pressings, It is highly unlikely that there will be more. I too am an audiophile and vinyl is my preferred format. There are dozens of hugely successful albums that are not even 10 years old that are no longer in print. If you only listen to mainstream artists, then it is more probable you will find unsold copies. Stevie Nicks is not mainstream any longer, and I very much doubt that there will be unsold copies of 24 Karat sitting around in record stores a year after release. Unlike Adele or Coldplay, Reprise isn't going to press extra copies to keep it in print for a decade.

Point being, don't take "limited' with a grain of salt. If you want it, buy it on release, or accept that you may not get one. Don't assume that 6 months later you're going to wander into Urban Outfitters and see it sitting there.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Stevie promoted the hell out of IYD in the UK. There were huge billboards for it in my nearest city centre and I remember seeing posts on the tube for it. She was BBC breakfast, loose women, a lot of radio 2 promo's, AND her appearance at Hard Rock Calling Festival, but it still missed the top 10. The only other time she has promoted anything outside Fleetwood Mac here was OSOTM.

However, I have noticed far more emphasis on promotion via the net recently. Tori Amos's (who hasn't had a top 10 album since 1998) latest album hit #13 in the charts on the back of largely social media and internet promotion.

There was huge Fleetwood Mac hype here for the tour last year - they got lots of media attention, especially the O2 shows, and Rumours propelled itself back up to #3 in the album charts.

On the back of that, I can see Stevie's next album being more of a success, just like OSOTM was following Tango.
I actually live in the UK and remember all of this promotion but apart from BBC Radio 2 playing the hell out of Secret Love, there wasn't a HUGE amount of promotion for the actual album. I remember BBC breakfast mentioning the album in the interview which was good promotion, but I also remember on Loose Women where they showed the Secret Love video but the actual album was hardly mentioned.

Still, overall the album did receive quite a bit of promotion here in the UK. I just think that being Stevie Nicks, she doesn't need to do silly little interviews to sell thousands.

24 karat gold will go top 10 I think because IYD sold over 10,000 copies in its first week and debuted at #14. A few weeks later, if the album sold the same amount it would've gone top 10, she was just unlucky. This week, the album debuting at #6 sold just over 8,000 so Stevie hardly has to bend over backwards to get a top 10 album, let alone another top 20 one.