The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Lindsey at his very best!
'75 Fleetwood Mac 5 6.94%
Rumours 30 41.67%
Tusk 58 80.56%
Mirage 5 6.94%
Tango in the Night 19 26.39%
Say You Will 25 34.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,633
Default

I think I find it really hard to compare songs on a good, better, best scale from era to era. It's hard for me to smack Tango up against SYW. They seem like completely different genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
yeah, and that quote says it all. He was not amused with lindsey's vision on not only the arrangements, But also the soundengineering. H was a terriffic MOR technician, so he had hard times under Lindsey's dominance. But it was the only way for LB to get what he wanted. And in hindsight, it's a masterpiece. When Cailliat talks bad about LB, some was probably outside of normal behaviour, But a lot of criticism is fed by the fact that he did not understand him at the time, and not felt acknowledged. That's when you feel held hostage.
Let me jump on one word you used: technician. Stevie said she felt like a hostage during the Tusk recording and Lindsey was the Ayatollah Khomeini and, you know, if members of the BAND felt that Lindsey was taking them in a creative direction that they didn't favor, they had a right to resist and complain. They were the artists.

Ken Caillat wasn't a band member. He was a technician, an engineer, a producer, but ultimately an employee and so I don't really understand the "hostage" allusion coming from him. It wasn't Lindsey's job to mold his work into a Middle of the Road shape that Ken would not find too "grungy."

Michele
  #47  
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM
GypsySorcerer's Avatar
GypsySorcerer GypsySorcerer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: KY
Posts: 6,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
The reason why I chose Rumours, is in the fact that SYW could have been so much better if he used Twist of Fate, Wait for You and some other gems that didn't make it. The original GOS was a masterpiece a la Tusk.
So true. I wish we would have gotten the original GOS, instead of the songs spread out of over 3 albums.
  #48  
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 PM
KenB KenB is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
So true. I wish we would have gotten the original GOS, instead of the songs spread out of over 3 albums.
Do we know what the intended running order was for GOS? I know which songs were recorded for it, but I don't know Lindsey's exact track list.
  #49  
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
bethelblues bethelblues is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^When they're live and standing in front of you it's one thing, because their expressions and delivery are part of the whole experience.

But when I am just listening to the studio version, I want a song, something I can hum, a melody, something on which the sentiment can grab on and stick. Something that stands on its own without a visual accompaniment. I think the faster version of the song fits those requirements better for me. So, I like the studio version more, for that reason.

Michele
Just want to clarify: I wasn't talking specifically about their expressions and delivery. I was too far back to read their expressions. For me it's the exact opposite. I prefer how the song sounds live, especially how the vocals do not feel as rushed as the studio recording. I don't pick up anything to hum from that version, since in my opinion Lindsey's lyrics do not linger over the listener the same way, the softness of his voice, the elongated phrasing. When I went back to SYW, I was surprised by the different feel musically of the song, which was much more severe than just a straight studio vs. live comparison.
  #50  
Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Lindsey's lyrics do not linger over the listener the same way, the softness of his voice, the elongated phrasing.
Yeah, I really hate that and it can seem phony to me. Having him and Stevie onstage appearing sincere is about the only thing that can salvage that kind of delivery for me. That's what I think he is trying to do with NGBA and it drives me batty.

I appreciate a lingering, nuanced delivery, but I need it in a song that has melody. I mean, I think of Christine's Calumney and it's out of this world. Her voice is like an old oak tree whose branches creek a little when they bend. She's going "torn the petals drop" and I feel, sense the resistance when you pluck something blooming from a living thing. Rip away a leaf from a vibrant stem that it doesn't want to leave, when you hurt it, just to make a point -- to prove that their love is gone.

I think she ought to win an Oscar for that delivery, really and Say Goodbye doesn't make me experience anything like that, especially not if the live version had been on the record. On the record, the fact that it's faster is an aid for me. Also, the fact that it is followed by Goodbye Baby. That sets a tone that I appreciate more than if the song had stood alone.

Michele
  #51  
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
bethelblues bethelblues is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 597
Default

Funny you mentioned Never Going Back Again. I can agree with you for that song, which Lindsey's been performing in that manner for a long time, right? When was the last time he performed it closer to the sound of the studio version? I also see your point of how the song fits on the album before Goodbye Baby. I just think Lindsey's approach for Say Goodbye works for the song, and Stevie's presence totally helps and emphasizes the meaning. But maybe it all comes down to me having heard the live version before hearing the studio recording, which made me appreciate Lindsey's interpretation of the song more for the former.
  #52  
Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 PM
GypsySorcerer's Avatar
GypsySorcerer GypsySorcerer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: KY
Posts: 6,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Do we know what the intended running order was for GOS? I know which songs were recorded for it, but I don't know Lindsey's exact track list.
I'm not sure if we know what the official tracklisting was intended to be. I think I remember "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" was supposed for the opening track, but that could be my imagination. Gerald, maybe you remember?
  #53  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM
moon's Avatar
moon moon is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 481
Default

Tusk, and Mirage.

Tusk, you know, there's nothing new to say...

I didn't choose Rumours or '75 Fleetwood Mac because they're representative for Lindsey, Chris and Stevie as songwriters and musicians. But, Tusk is THE album of Lindsey.
About Tango, yes, he was one of the producers, but there's something that really never convinced me about it.
And Mirage is my second choice because he did a great job with Tusk and Law & Order, and then with Go Insane. I know his songs in Mirage are not the most popular, but they have interesting arrangements, and with all the demos that exist, you can prove that. I can't explain it better...
Regards
__________________

...because of you I am complete...
  #54  
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,638
Default

Tusk is an obvious choice. I picked Rumours because I love all of his material on it, and his instrumentation and arranging skills elsewhere are also excellent. But I could have picked SYW or Tango, both of which show LB stretching out and covering a lot of musical moods, unlike on Rumours where his three songs seem like attractive, athletic biological brothers.
  #55  
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
dontlookdown dontlookdown is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,012
Default

this was a hard one.
because Lindsey has his best work on every album.
he's always been MVP in FM.

Tusk is the obvious frontrunner. After that, hard to say.
  #56  
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Funny you mentioned Never Going Back Again. I can agree with you for that song, which Lindsey's been performing in that manner for a long time, right? When was the last time he performed it closer to the sound of the studio version?
For me, I thought NGBA was a little better on the One Man Show tour, though not close to the studio version. I thought the pace was a little tighter in his last solo outing.

Michele
  #57  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM
moon's Avatar
moon moon is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
this was a hard one.
because Lindsey has his best work on every album.
So true! If we go to the conclusions, this is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
For me, I thought NGBA was a little better on the One Man Show tour, though not close to the studio version. I thought the pace was a little tighter in his last solo outing.

Michele
Agree. Some of his other performances in OMS are amazing (Bleed to Love Her, Cast Away Dreams...). NGBA sounds different, and I love it! It's maybe a good example where you can see that the live version is better than the studio version. We can discuss that.
Regards!
__________________

...because of you I am complete...
  #58  
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM
MacShadowsBall MacShadowsBall is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,792
Default

Well I voted for Rumours and Tusk. Rumours has a solid three songs and Tusk is basically all Lindsey's idea/masterpiece, even his working/production on Stevie/Christine songs. Tusk isn't my favorite album and Lindsey's songs aren't ever my favorite, but this isn't about "favorites" but about what is "best". Tango in the Night was high on my Lindsey best list, as he crafted a whole unique sound throught that album. I almost went with Rumours and Tango.
  #59  
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Well I voted for Rumours and Tusk. Rumours has a solid three songs and Tusk is basically all Lindsey's idea/masterpiece, even his working/production on Stevie/Christine songs.
I agree. It seems to me that the Christine and Stevie songs on Tusk wouldn't easily fit onto another album. I thought they were all compatible with Tusk's unique vision.

Well, Think About Me is an exception. I do think that that song could easily slip onto any FM album without seeming out of place.

Michele
  #60  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM
MacShadowsBall MacShadowsBall is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,792
Default

Tusk gets first place and Rumours gets second, although Say You Will made a strong attempt at second.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved