Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default musicians you'd like to have heard / hear now Peter Green play with

So much in life is occurs thorough chance encounters - the rotating line-up of the Bluesbreakers brought Green together with John McVie & Mick Fleetwood - Anysley Dunbar recruited Green for a one off session with Jack Bruce on bass - Bruce of course paired off with another Bluesbreaker alumni...
but what if Green and Bruce had gotten together? Bruce was a writer, singer and took to the spotlight gladly - they would have needed a drummer other than Fleetwood, as his skill level was no where near what Green and Bruce were capable of at that time -
Bob Brunning hooked up with Bob Hall - what if Green had brought Hall on board with Mac in the beginning? His keyboard approach was strong enough to fill their sound without a second guitar -
Green needed someone to help with the writing and to take some of the pressure off of being the "front man" -
anybody have any ideas who might have filled the bill?

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That version of "Stone Crazy" with Jack Bruce, Peter Green, Aynsley Dunbar & Rod Stewart is really great...a whole album of that lineup would've been interesting.

NOW, I would like to hear a Green/Clapton duet album (along the lines of the Clapton/BB King album).

The Peter Green/Peter Gabriel pairing is intriguing.

Peter Green with Sting & Stewart Copeland would be interesting. (I guess that would be SOMEWHAT close to your Peter Green with Jack Bruce pairing, eh?)

Peter Green with Shaggy or Mary J. Blige might be a stretch, but an interesting listen.

Peter Green/Gregg Allman...hmmm....
Old 04-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Great suggestions

Gregg Allman - I always like Green's guitar matched with piano rather than organ - on keyboards I'd like to see him paired with Reese Wayans (the unoffical third member of Double Trouble) - but speaking of Allman - I think Derek Trucks could really bring out the best in Green - he can kick ass and has a beautiful soulful side to his playing -

Another player with amazing feel is Ronnie Earl - highly recommened if you like that aspect of Green's playing -

Duke Robillard I think would not only make a great foil for Green, he can adapt to just about anybody's style, but he should be brought in to produce the next Splinter Group album -

What I've been thinking about is an "alternate universe" band where a Them era Van Morrison would have joined Green with the McVie/Fleetwood rhythm section - Morrison could easily handle the deep blues that Green preferred and would have brought in that Stax / Volt vibe - I'd love to hear him take on "Stop Messin' Round" even now, maybe with the Uptown Horns -

But of course, the dream would be Clapton and Green - the two of dueling on a song like "Layla" or trading acoustic steel licks on "Mean Old Frisco" - sadly it will probably remain just a dream -

Keep the suggestions coming - I got some more I'm working on

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ringo puts together an All-Starr BLUES Band

Ringo Starr & Charlie Watts-drums
Bill Wyman-bass
Peter Green, Bonnie Raitt, Ronnie Earl-guitars
Leon Russell-piano
Billy Preston-organ & electronic keyboards
Jim Price, Bobby Keys-horns

(substitute any of the following for the above named keyboard players:

Billy Payne
Chris Stainton
Chuck Leavell
Steve Winwood
Bruce Hornsby
Dr. John
Benmont Tench
Max Middleton
Old 04-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default when do tickets go on sale?

Truly inspired choices - especially Charlie Watts -

Another "Riding With the King" style pairing I'd like to see would be Green & Otis Rush -
As I've said elsewhere, their pairings on "Hot Foot Powder" were highlights for me -

Everyone talks about B.B. King's influence on Green, but no one ever mentions Rush - Green's single string style is King inspired no doubt, but his use of sustain, the emotion and the feeling are pure Otis Rush -

After his recordings with the various labels owned by the Bihari Brothers (RPM, Crown etc) in the late fifties, King's style was much more pop oriented - Otis Rush was and still is, deep blues -

From the Bluesbreakers, the smoking "So Many Roads, So Many Trains" to "Black Magic Woman" (a beautiful tribute to Rush's style) to "It Takes Time" Green has repeatedly drawn from that well -

E. Vedder
Old 01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default herding cats

In reading through the archives, I find that many of the members of this fence sitting group have gone through the same thoughts independently. I have been among musicians for a substantial part of my life and I wonder if they ever think in these collaborative terms. I think back to John Hammonds Triumverate which should have had success and beautiful music written all over it (John Hammond, Dr John and Michael Bloomfield) but it was mixed at best and fell apart faster than you could say "Blind Faith" .
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
In reading through the archives, I find that many of the members of this fence sitting group have gone through the same thoughts independently. I have been among musicians for a substantial part of my life and I wonder if they ever think in these collaborative terms. I think back to John Hammonds Triumverate which should have had success and beautiful music written all over it (John Hammond, Dr John and Michael Bloomfield) but it was mixed at best and fell apart faster than you could say "Blind Faith" .
I think collaborative albums THESE days (BB King/Clapton; JJ Cale/Clapton, etc) would probably work much better than the collaborative albums from the late '60s/early '70s, due to the substance abuse factor. Bloomfield was a wreck during those days (both the Super Session with Al Kooper & the aforementioned Triumverate sessions.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I think collaborative albums THESE days (BB King/Clapton; JJ Cale/Clapton, etc) would probably work much better than the collaborative albums from the late '60s/early '70s, due to the substance abuse factor. Bloomfield was a wreck during those days (both the Super Session with Al Kooper & the aforementioned Triumverate sessions.
Yep,
but on the other hand many legends are well past their prime now.
Clapton and BB are still great, but not as creative as they were.
I found "Riding with the king" rather dull.

Also, I find that Greeny's playing is submerged in a weird way in these "all star" jams. Examples are the live jams with Grateful Dead and Clapton, Govt Mule and the Katmandu thing (although he was very ill then). Maybe it's that he doesn't like "competitive" playing?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Also, I find that Greeny's playing is submerged in a weird way in these "all star" jams. Examples are the live jams with Grateful Dead and Clapton, Govt Mule and the Katmandu thing (although he was very ill then). Maybe it's that he doesn't like "competitive" playing?
Very true.....another example is Greeny's playing with Santana at the R&RHOF induction. Admittedly, as far as "flash", his style at that time could not compete with Carlos Santana's playing. But if you watch the video, it's clear that Santana is urging Green take a bit more of the spotlight for himself, yet aside from the very beginning of that performance, Green seemed very happy to stay in the background.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Despite what we hear on those live Fleetwood Mac things from when Peter was at his peak and on End Of The Game, it seems Peter, these days (meaning: the last decade or so), from what I've seen & heard from him in that timeframe, would prefer to be in "well-rehearsed" situations, rather than an all-out jam situation.

Last edited by chiliD; 01-08-2007 at 04:36 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems to me like he is contributing more to the whole song these days ... doing a little riff or lick here and there ... more like adding a little piece the sum of it all .. rather than doing his own solo show. (I'm not sure I made myself clear though... )

Though it could have worked if he was the only guitarist in an all-star band!

As for collaborations, I think it would have been interesting to see him work more with non-blues artists. Also younger musicians. I liked the version of "Albatross" that he did with Chris Coco. Peter Gabriel...well, he didn't play much there, did he? How about him doing a little guitar work on the next Bowie album?

I must admit, lately I've imagined Peter singing duet with....... Emmylou Harris!!!

I wonder if he played with anybody when he was living in Sweden...? Think about him jamming with some of the GREAT pop bands there, for example "Thorleifs" or "Lasse Stefanz"

Last edited by dansven; 01-08-2007 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd love to hear Fleetwood Mac with the following lineup

Peter Green
Christine McVie
John McVie
Mick Fleetwood

Just playing the blues

Gail
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Peter Green
Christine McVie
John McVie
Mick Fleetwood

Just playing the blues

Gail

I would think that there'd be some tapes of that lineup already in one of the four of them's closet somewhere, just waiting to be unleashed on the world. Didn't John say that he found boxes & boxes of cassettes when he was recently moving?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Otis Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Truly inspired choices - especially Charlie Watts -

Another "Riding With the King" style pairing I'd like to see would be Green & Otis Rush -
As I've said elsewhere, their pairings on "Hot Foot Powder" were highlights for me -

Everyone talks about B.B. King's influence on Green, but no one ever mentions Rush - Green's single string style is King inspired no doubt, but his use of sustain, the emotion and the feeling are pure Otis Rush -

After his recordings with the various labels owned by the Bihari Brothers (RPM, Crown etc) in the late fifties, King's style was much more pop oriented - Otis Rush was and still is, deep blues -

From the Bluesbreakers, the smoking "So Many Roads, So Many Trains" to "Black Magic Woman" (a beautiful tribute to Rush's style) to "It Takes Time" Green has repeatedly drawn from that well -
It was a highpoint for me too in the pairing of Otis nad Peter

these things are all too fleet in time. Otis had a stroke last year.

vinnie c
Old 01-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Peter Green
Christine McVie
John McVie
Mick Fleetwood

Just playing the blues

Gail