The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Greeny & Duane Allman 1970 session?

A recent post from dansven on another thread jogged my memory, and I unearthed from a stack of papers a post I had printed out from the old "Views for Greeny" forum. The post, from January '99, was by "Mick" and includes the following info (some of this I'm typing word-for-word, some is paraphrased):

Reissue of Duster Bennett Blue Horizon albums on CD with an expanded version of Duster Live at the Goldaming (sp?) featuring many unreleased tracks featuring Greeny.

Capricorn records is said to have discovered numerous lost sessions featuring Duane Allman, Toy Caldwell, Eric Clapton, Dicky Betts, and Peter Green. Many vocal & guitar demos recorded by Green circa 1970 at Muscle Shoals are said to be incredible. A compilation CD featuring primarily Duane Allman will include some of the Green numbers plus a breathtaking acoustic guitar duel between Duane and Peter previously not known to exist. Apparently there is enough Green material to warrant a second release featuring just Peter.

There are newly discovered Mayall BBC and live tapes, many featuring the Hard Road touring band. There are two or three tracks featuring Mick Taylor and Peter playing together.

I have no idea what the sources for this information were, or if the info is accurate in any way - but WOW, that would be something if all of this actually surfaces (at this point, it would be something if any of it actually surfaces). But just as a caution, the post also mentioned that a cover of "Hey Joe" was said to be included on the then-upcoming Shrine '69 release, so we know the accuracy of that information. We can still hope, though...
Old 08-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

This sounds great! Please do post here if you hear about release dates, titles etc.

John
Old 08-06-2004, 05:17 AM
Ledgie

Question

Hi
I don't know about an expanded version of 'Bright Lights Big City' from Duster featuring many more Greeny tracks (Recorded live at the 'Gin Mill' in Godalming, Surrey.) as Peter only played towards the end of the gig on maybe 4/5 songs at most, and that was using his 6 sting Fender bass that he use to use live on 'Green Manalishi'. Mike Vernon I guess still has the tapes of that gig and it will be interesting to see what turns up on the forthcoming Duster Benett box set.
By the way does anybody have any up to date information as to when this box set might hit the stores?

Blue Horizon
Old 08-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks sharkfan2000!

I posted this info (or what I could remember of it) some time ago on the Ledge. I saw it on the "Views For Greeny" forum, but I have always been mad at myself for not printing it out! So thanks for posting the details. I also think they mentioned that the CDs with Green and Allman were going to be called "Guitar Gods", but I may be wrong...

The Hard Road live recording could be the one from the article I referred to in an earlier post. It was from an article I found in the archive on the Penguin. However it didn't mention Green and Taylor together. I think it sounds a bit strange, but if it exists they HAVE to release it!

Daniel
Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
I also think they mentioned that the CDs with Green and Allman were going to be called "Guitar Gods", but I may be wrong...
Yes, exactly! You have a great memory, Daniel! It would be nice to know who "Mick" was (the person who made that post), and where his information came from.

Does anyone have any current info on Capricorn Records? I did a Google search and came up with nothing they've released more recent than about '99, and no website. They may not be actively in business at this point, but hopefully someone will step in and rescue those old session tapes (if they do exist).
Old 08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Ledgie

I found a picture from the Fillmore East 1970, where member of Allman Brothers Band, Fleetwood Mac and Grateful Dead jammed together! LOTS of guitarists on stage.. Peter, Danny, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia..

Old 08-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, across the front of the stage (left to right) I can make out:

Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, Pig-Pen (Ron McKernan), Bob Weir, Duane Allman, Gregg Allman

At the rear of the stage, I can identify:

Jerry Garcia (way in the back), Bill Kreutzman (drums), Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks (drums), Phil Lesh.

The two people on stage I can't identify are...the guy standing up playing tambourine between Berry Oakley & Butch Trucks...and the guy with his back turned, behind & to the right of Gregg Allman (obviously with a drumstick in hand...possibly it is Mickey Hart?)

No sign of Danny Kirwan or Dickey Betts, that I can see.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting this beautiful picture, Cussion!

Lucky audience there to have experienced such a show.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Junior Ledgie

Using Cussion's information, I located the Grateful Dead concert that includes Pete and Duane: February 11, 1970. The link takes you to the Internet Archive of the sound recordings of the concert in MP3 and other formats. (Over 3,000 other Grateful Dead concerts are archived there. I'm a relatively new convert to the Grateful Dead. Any GD fans know of a concise or searchable repository of guest musicians at GD concerts? Without Cussion's information, it would have just been blind luck to stumble on a concert that had Peter Green.)

From the recording notes:
Quote:
COMMENTS Late Show. Total time 1:26:37 +. Duane Allman's guitar is audible from near the beginning of Dark Star through the end of the set; Gregg Allman adds organ & vocals during Lovelight, and Berry Oakley plays a second bass on Lovelight. According to Kenny Schachat, who attended the show, the guitarist audible starting about 2:30 into Dark Star and for several minutes thereafter is Peter Green, not Duane, who enters around the middle of Dark Star.
"Spanish Jam" (follows "Dark Star") sounds like live Fleetwood Mac, although Pete's guitar (I assume) is faint. Perhaps someone with a better ear for guitar players can listen to "Dark Star" on and tell us when to listen for Peter's playing.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ok, across the front of the stage (left to right) I can make out:

Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, Pig-Pen (Ron McKernan), Bob Weir, Duane Allman, Gregg Allman

At the rear of the stage, I can identify:

Jerry Garcia (way in the back), Bill Kreutzman (drums), Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks (drums), Phil Lesh.

The two people on stage I can't identify are...the guy standing up playing tambourine between Berry Oakley & Butch Trucks...and the guy with his back turned, behind & to the right of Gregg Allman (obviously with a drumstick in hand...possibly it is Mickey Hart?)

No sign of Danny Kirwan or Dickey Betts, that I can see.
diggin'up the dirt. that is figgin' impressive Steve!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Ledgie

so what ever happened to the muscle shoals tapes?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsess5 View Post
Using Cussion's information, I located the Grateful Dead concert that includes Pete and Duane: February 11, 1970. The link takes you to the Internet Archive of the sound recordings of the concert in MP3 and other formats. (Over 3,000 other Grateful Dead concerts are archived there. I'm a relatively new convert to the Grateful Dead. Any GD fans know of a concise or searchable repository of guest musicians at GD concerts? Without Cussion's information, it would have just been blind luck to stumble on a concert that had Peter Green.)

From the recording notes:

"Spanish Jam" (follows "Dark Star") sounds like live Fleetwood Mac, although Pete's guitar (I assume) is faint. Perhaps someone with a better ear for guitar players can listen to "Dark Star" on and tell us when to listen for Peter's playing.
Then there is also the following show from feb. 1, 1970 wher Peter joined on Turn On Your Lovelight
Here's the link: http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-...629.sbeok.shnf

Old 05-30-2016, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Digging up an old thread here, but I just came upon a photo that helps clarify who is in the famous Mac/Dead/Allmans photo above. This one shows just the Dead from what's supposed to be the same evening:

And more of a close-up view of the group jam shot here:

So that's clearly Mickey Hart on the far right of the photo showing members of all three bands. And it's almost certainly Danny Kirwan with his back to the camera, between Bob Weir and Gregg Allman. And that's got to be Duane Allman rather than Phil Lesh right behind Gregg (he's playing a guitar, not a bass), so Phil Lesh doesn't seem to be in the shot.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post

So that's clearly Mickey Hart on the far right of the photo showing members of all three bands. And it's almost certainly Danny Kirwan with his back to the camera, between Bob Weir and Gregg Allman. And that's got to be Duane Allman rather than Phil Lesh right behind Gregg (he's playing a guitar, not a bass), so Phil Lesh doesn't seem to be in the shot.
i don't wanna make matters any worse and i certainly don't think i can qualify for being any more in the know - but to my weary old eyes the identities of danny k. and duane a. look just the other way round to your opinion, sharksfan . . . ?!?!?!?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
i don't wanna make matters any worse and i certainly don't think i can qualify for being any more in the know - but to my weary old eyes the identities of danny k. and duane a. look just the other way round to your opinion, sharksfan . . . ?!?!?!?
Of course it's really hard to say without seeing their faces. A couple of things led me to think the guy with his back turned is Danny. I looked at a number of other photos of both Danny and Duane from that period, and Danny had straighter hair, like the guy in front. Also it seems more likely that Duane would have stuck closer to his other band members, and so being between Gregg and Butch Trucks in that photo makes sense. Peter and Mick are already in the front, so perhaps Danny too?

But I've certainly thought the same way you do, lazy poker...just leaning the other way right now.