The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What other bands have notable anniversaries this year?

I was just reading The KLF have given a cryptic message they may be active this year (as a celebration of their conception back in 1987). I remember KLF having a string of hit singles in my youth ending with their last (and best) hit 'Justified and Ancient' featuring Tammy Wynette way back in 1991. If they reformed this year it would be a really big thing for me... good memories of those times.

With Fleetwood Mac likely to be active this year, coinciding with their golden jubilee, I was wondering what other notable bands (in any form) would celebrate major milestones this year and what the likelihood would be that they'd tour or release music in some form.

Green= Very likely/certain, Amber= Possible, Red= Highly unlikely/no chance

50 years;
Blue Oyster Cult (A), Chicago (R), Creedance Clearwater Revival (R), Fairport Convention (A), Genesis (A), Jethro Tull (R), Procol Harem G), REO Speedwagon (G), Sly & the Family Stone (R)

40 years;
The Fall (A), Human League (A), The Police (R), Adam & the Ants (R), Def Leppard (G), Dire Straits (R), Simple Minds (G), INXS (R), Toto (G), Thompson Twins (R)

30 years;
Ace of Bass (A), Gin Blossoms (G), KLF (A), Ugly Kid Joe (A)

20 years;
Destiny's Child (R), Elbow (G), Kaiser Chiefs (G), Kasabian (G), Keane A), White Stripes R)

Of all the bands that could tour/release albums/reform Fleetwood Mac would undoubtedly be the biggest though I suppose (though highly unlikely) CCW, S&TFS or The Police would be the most headline grabbing if they did.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Green= Very likely/certain, Amber= Possible, Red= Highly unlikely/no chance

50 years;
Chicago (R), Fairport Convention (A), Genesis (A)
Chicago was on CNN's NYE show, and it sounded like there would be a tour. Genesis (trio) is planning a tour this year. Fairport Convention has an annual festival called Fairport's Cropredy Convention, and it looks like they're having Richard Thompson, Ashley Hutchinson, Judy Dyble, and Ian Matthews from the very early years performing specifically in celebration of the their 50th.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Chicago was on CNN's NYE show, and it sounded like there would be a tour. Genesis (trio) is planning a tour this year. Fairport Convention has an annual festival called Fairport's Cropredy Convention, and it looks like they're having Richard Thompson, Ashley Hutchinson, Judy Dyble, and Ian Matthews from the very early years performing specifically in celebration of the their 50th.

Not sure where you heard about Genesis. I know Phil Collins is doing some shows this year but I'd not heard anything about Genesis- It'd be great if they got together.

On another note, I've never been a fan but I understand The Doors just did a reunion gig to celebrate their 50 years.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't forget Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, also turns 50 this year :-)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
Don't forget Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, also turns 50 this year :-)
July 6 will be the 60th anniversary of John Lennon meeting Paul McCartney.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Interesting looking back. Rumours was released February 4, 1977. The first single was released in December 1976. Its fun to remember back in the days of no internet or other ways of knowing a group's new album (other than the radio) how far apart the single and album were. Today isn't the album released almost the same day. The norm was usually around 2 weeks in the 1980's.
I guess there was no reason to rush the album until the public was well aware there was new music and there was a hit from the album.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Interesting looking back. Rumours was released February 4, 1977. The first single was released in December 1976. Its fun to remember back in the days of no internet or other ways of knowing a group's new album (other than the radio) how far apart the single and album were. Today isn't the album released almost the same day. The norm was usually around 2 weeks in the 1980's.
I guess there was no reason to rush the album until the public was well aware there was new music and there was a hit from the album.
I've never really quite understood the idea of releasing an album and a single simultaneously. Surely most of the people that buy an album probably aren't going to buy a single as well. Much better to release a single, get some chart awareness and then release an album on the back of it. Then, people are more likely to buy both. Of course, the exception was with the Beatles who mostly released non-album songs in support of an album. Can you imagine a band leaving such great songs off albums nowadays?