Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I Know I'm Not Wrong

Does anyone have any info or stories on this little gem? I always loved this song. I felt it was odd that the version on the first CD pressing was vastly different than the original. They put the original on the remastered CD, I think, although I actually liked the one from the first CD.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Are you sure? The vinyl version is vastly different but as far as I'm aware the CD versions have all been the same. I wish someone would post a good rip of the vinyl version, I've always prefered it.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ if i figure out how to use my USB record player (that i've had for 2 months ), i'll do that this weekend
Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Put the USB record player to good use, Carrie, and get me that MP3!!!

(thank you! )
Old 09-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
^ if i figure out how to use my USB record player (that i've had for 2 months ), i'll do that this weekend
not to get OT, but what kind do you have? i've been looking for one.

and, do you know.. if you set it and, say, let it play the entire record.. does it follow the track groove and separate each track individually as it records it, or is it straight into one long file that you have to separate? i think some of the older ones couldn't separate. i've found one that will go to cd and separate, but i'd prefer directly to .wav or whatever else.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Put the USB record player to good use, Carrie, and get me that MP3!!!

(thank you! )
hatechu sharon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
not to get OT, but what kind do you have? i've been looking for one.

and, do you know.. if you set it and, say, let it play the entire record.. does it follow the track groove and separate each track individually as it records it, or is it straight into one long file that you have to separate? i think some of the older ones couldn't separate. i've found one that will go to cd and separate, but i'd prefer directly to .wav or whatever else.
i'm gonna hook it up right now and find out! i'll let you know.

oh, and it's the ion iTTUSB.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I seriously need to get me one of those also. How much did you spend on it?

LOL, and now for something completely random. I was just listening to the radio and Mark Lennon from Venice was talking about how when he was young he could only do Fleetwood Mac covers of Stevie Nicks songs, because he had that really high nasal little boy's voice. He then proceeded to sing Dreams with that voice. Totally cracked me up.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I seriously need to get me one of those also. How much did you spend on it?

LOL, and now for something completely random. I was just listening to the radio and Mark Lennon from Venice was talking about how when he was young he could only do Fleetwood Mac covers of Stevie Nicks songs, because he had that really high nasal little boy's voice. He then proceeded to sing Dreams with that voice. Totally cracked me up.
it was a gift, so i'm not quite sure ... i think they spent around $140 on it, though.

and lol. poor stevie

ok, woot! i got it to work! it was so easy to do. here's the original IKINW: http://www.mediafire.com/?8thxe4f21so

and sarah - it does it as one big file, but with the program i'm using (audacity) it's not hard to split them up.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Awesome! Thank you Carrie!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Does anyone have any info or stories on this little gem? I always loved this song.
I checked Madnessfades.net & didn't see any commentary by the composer, & I don't remember anything else offhand. Some fans group this song -- I guess thematically -- with Not That Funny. Two sides of a coin, I guess. I think it has more in common with Save Me a Place in terms of pleading quality, tunefulness & warmth, despite the difference in tempo (which in itself creates varied emotional response). IKINW doesn't have that severely abrasive quality lyrically or musically, which is the essence of NTF. In the latter, the repetitive moving from tonic to subdominant & then from subdominant to dominant makes me think "pushing & shoving," emphasized by the deliberately unbeautiful vocal. But IKINW is more searching & yearning in its chord progression & in the temporal chord values: the chord changes seem to me to be engaging in a dialectic with the lyrics & the pretty melody line of the vocal. Fleetwood Mac rehearsed it in 1979 but I never had a concert recording of it from that time. It may have been tried at some point on tour, possibly in Europe (like That's Enough for Me), but I haven't found a record of it. (I've learned never to second-guess the Tusk tour.) As you probably know, Fleetwood did it live in 2004, but by that time, the band was no longer a chamber ensemble. It was a committee.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
As you probably know, Fleetwood did it live in 2004, but by that time, the band was no longer a chamber ensemble. It was a committee.
Too funny.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I checked Madnessfades.net & didn't see any commentary by the composer, & I don't remember anything else offhand. Some fans group this song -- I guess thematically -- with Not That Funny. Two sides of a coin, I guess. I think it has more in common with Save Me a Place in terms of pleading quality, tunefulness & warmth, despite the difference in tempo (which in itself creates varied emotional response). IKINW doesn't have that severely abrasive quality lyrically or musically, which is the essence of NTF. In the latter, the repetitive moving from tonic to subdominant & then from subdominant to dominant makes me think "pushing & shoving," emphasized by the deliberately unbeautiful vocal. But IKINW is more searching & yearning in its chord progression & in the temporal chord values: the chord changes seem to me to be engaging in a dialectic with the lyrics & the pretty melody line of the vocal. Fleetwood Mac rehearsed it in 1979 but I never had a concert recording of it from that time. It may have been tried at some point on tour, possibly in Europe (like That's Enough for Me), but I haven't found a record of it. (I've learned never to second-guess the Tusk tour.) As you probably know, Fleetwood did it live in 2004, but by that time, the band was no longer a chamber ensemble. It was a committee.
It was done better on Lindseys tour with just the four guys. I thought it was 10 times better.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
It was done better on Lindseys tour with just the four guys. I thought it was 10 times better.
I didn't catch the Lindsey tour. I hear he pulled out all the stops -- an expression that comes from organ playing.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i am sorry but i have never heard of that song. what album is that from?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thanks for this Carrie. IKINW is probably my all-time favourite Lindsey song. It's so stripped-down and catchy, I just love it.

Quote:
and sarah - it does it as one big file, but with the program i'm using (audacity) it's not hard to split them up.
I haven't used Audacity, but be careful when editing files that are already compressed, like MP3s. Most audio editing programs will recompress the resulting audio when you save it, so you'll get a worse quality sound file as a result. If you're recording from vinyl, save the original unedited file as uncompressed audio (e.g. WAV format) and then split it into individual tracks afterwards. If you only have a compressed source file (e.g. MP3) then you can use the freeware mp3DirectCut to split it without recompressing the output.