Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Ledgie

Question Kids at Concerts

I'm sure there are other parents out there. I have a 3 1/2 year old who loves FM. She actually sings Say You Will and Peacekeeper. I'm thinking about taking her to one of the concerts. She loves the idea. Of course, if she becomes unhappy at the concert we'll go outside to make sure we don't upset any of the fans. I was wondering if anyone has had this experience and can offer some advice.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Mmm....thats a tough one. Its like watching all the semi-fans there drinking beer and getting faced. That's no way to respect fellow people there to watch the show, or the band. If your kid if fond of whining...I'd leave 'em home. At any rate, the first show I went to on this tour, I sat next to an 11 year old who's favorite song was "My Little Demon" of ALL things! His parents were nice, and he was bummed to see them not play the song. He was a cool kid...and I dont care for children that much. They irritate me. Anyways...! I'm not normally this crotchety.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Spending all that money for a concert the child will not remember? And to have to leave if the kid whines? I have seen lots of kids at concerts, and frankly I don't think they belong there. I will never understand why parents just don't get a babysitter and enjoy a night out together. Leave the kids home!!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's sooooo loud in there for little ones. Ouch.

I took my 13 year old to a concert for the first time last week and it was even a bit loud for him. It's a tough call.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Make sure...

to provide proper hearing protection for your child...The Mac be quite loud these days.

Btw, At the OKC concert there was a youngster (I say she was about 10-11 years old) who sat 2-3 seats to my right who sang the along with the songs word-for-word...We kept making eye contact and nodding our heads in agreement as we rocked out...Shows there is hope for the future of the world afterall...lol!!!!

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sara loves singing to FM and Stevie! Isn't that cool? However, she gets mad at me for not taking her. She'll be 5 in November, but she gets bored easily, and I don't think she would last for 2 hours. I think it depends on the kid. I had a 9 year old sitting in front of us at the Chicago show, and noticed mom had to take her out once or twice for whatever reason. But, she seemed to be a good kid and enjoyed herself! Anyhow, take into consideration on how quickly your child gets bored. Plus, how is she around large crowds? I completely understand you wanting to take her because I'm dying to take Sara to "see Stevie". I just don't think she can handle it yet.

Maria
Old 09-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know Rhiannon would love to see Stevie sing 'her song' but at 7 I think she is too young. The price is the main thing but also I know she would get board after a while and want to leave. And imagine if she needed the toilet during Landslide! Hah!

Pip
Old 09-20-2003, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mmmmm..

I had thought of taking Harriet as I did promise I would take her she is 7 too but can't cope with sudden loud noise....it terrifies her. You can imagine can't you.....The Chain starts and Harriet panics...eek that would be the rest of the show spent out back...

Bless her...I hope that she will forgive me one day. I hate breaking promises.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Mmmmm..

Quote:
Originally posted by highpriestess53
I had thought of taking Harriet as I did promise I would take her she is 7 too but can't cope with sudden loud noise....it terrifies her. You can imagine can't you.....The Chain starts and Harriet panics...eek that would be the rest of the show spent out back...

Bless her...I hope that she will forgive me one day. I hate breaking promises.
She probably won't even remember! I mean lets face it... we do tend to force our love of FM on the kids whether they like it or not!

Pip
Old 09-20-2003, 07:02 AM

I would say 3 1/2 is waaay too young for a rock concert. I'm sure your intentions are very good and you are excited to share this experience with your daughter, but I'd strongly advise against it.

I remember my son at this age and he couldn't even sit through the circus without wanting to leave!! Once he saw what he wanted to see, that was it....he was bored.

Between the loud noise...late hours...money spent on a ticket for a seat she probably won't even sit in...and trying to keep your daughter occupied....There just seems to be so many "cons" to this!!

Perhaps there will be the PBS special or watch a DVD that you and your daughter could make a 'special night' out of...you'll be home in front of the TV...turn the lights out....make her favorite snacks...sit on the floor and 'rock out' in the comfort of your own home...She'll get to see everything....hear without damaging her hearing and you can sing and dance with her at your leisure

Our kids never cease to amaze us...you know when we expect them to be on their best behavior they turn into 'little demons' and when we expect them to be monsters they turn into angels
Old 09-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Leave her home.

I wasnt 10 until my parents FINALLY took me to a concert even though I was ready a few years before, but 3 1/2 is just way too young, especially when you consider how much money you're spending with the possibility that she could start whining about the noise or get bored.

I wouldn't chance it. Like others said just catch the PBS special or make some special time with her and bake cookies and watch the Dance together.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think 3 1/2 is way too young for an indoor concert. We started taking our twins to outdoor venues at around the age of 4. Their first concert was the VH1 barbeque with the B-52's and they loved it! It was outside, and they could run around, though. That helped alot. They are 11 now, and only one has the same musical interest as I do. She has seen Springsteen several times and is going to her 2nd FM concert (if I can get "good" seats!) at the end of the month. She is very good natured, knows all the songs, and would rather pee her pants than leave in the middle of a song! Her sister, however, I probably wouldn't take to an indoor arena yet, because she gets bored easily, and would be distracting to those around her - a big no-no in my book. I would tell your child that this concert is for adults, and take her to The Wiggles when they do a show in your town.

Eileen
You only said you'd never leave me

~SN, Rose Garden~
Old 09-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know many of you are saying that 3 1/2 is too young to go to a concert. Let me speak from experience....I took a 4 year old to a Stevie concert and she is now 21 and still remembers it like it was yesterday. We were front row and she danced and sang along, Stevie would look down and smile at her. It was very cool.

I was very young (3 or 4) when I attended my first concert and I still remember it.

The crowd is usually very respectful to someone with a child and they give you your space so as to not crowd the child.

If you think your child can handle the crowd scene (based on their personality) I say take your child!! If she loves Stevie she will never forget the experience.

A word of advice: Just make sure you have good seats, otherwise if the child is too far away she will become bored because its not like going to a circus where any seat can see all the action. She needs to be relatively close to the stage, either floor or the sections next to the stage. Unlike adults, they are not there for "just the music" and any seat will do, children are very visual and need to "see" the concert in order to get full enjoyment of the concert experience.

Last edited by reebokandlace; 09-20-2003 at 09:02 AM..
Old 09-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

This is a tough call, I agonized over it for a while before finally deciding to take my 4 year old to FM a few months ago. She loved it! Like your daughter, she can sing along with several songs, and loves to dance around while watching The Dance, so I figured why not. She sang, she danced, had a great time, and wants to go again.

We were lucky in that we had seats on the aisle, so I knew we could get up and walk around if we needed to (which we didn't) without bothering a whole row of people to do so. She got tired towards the end, and we left after GYOW. That worked out pretty well though, as we beat the crowd and zoomed right out of the parking lot.

I think that as long as you're prepared to not focus on the show 100%, why not try it? She'll remember it and love it.

-Lisa

P.S. As we were leaving the concert, we ran into another family, who had taken their 4 year old daughter too!

P.P.S. Make sure to take snacks and your camera

You might say that I can't take it, I can't take it, Lord I swear I just can't take it no more."

-Boz Scaggs
Old 09-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by reebokandlace
I know many of you are saying that 3 1/2 is too young to go to a concert. Let me speak from experience....I took a 4 year old to a Stevie concert and she is now 21 and still remembers it like it was yesterday. We were front row and she danced and sang along, Stevie would look down and smile at her. It was very cool.

I was very young (3 or 4) when I attended my first concert and I still remember it.

The crowd is usually very respectful to someone with a child and they give you your space so as to not crowd the child.

If you think your child can handle the crowd scene (based on their personality) I say take your child!! If she loves Stevie she will never forget the experience.

A word of advice: Just make sure you have good seats, otherwise if the child is too far away she will become bored because its not like going to a circus where any seat can see all the action. She needs to be relatively close to the stage, either floor or the sections next to the stage. Unlike adults, they are not there for "just the music" and any seat will do, children are very visual and need to "see" the concert in order to get full enjoyment of the concert experience.
Yes. Good seats might make the difference. Front row would be less boring, but each child is an individual. You know your child best. Maybe it would work out well in your case?

I'm just reminded of a show not too long ago. I was second row and a little 4-5 year old girl was in the front row with her parents. Neil Diamond was on stage and singing to a 100% sold out arena. It wasn't rock show loud, but just right. The child was well behaved at first. She seemed interested in the show until Neil came close and sang right to her. He held out his hand in her direction. The song was quiet and slow, so what happened next was really upsetting to everyone around. The little girl let out a scream and burst out crying as he came near her for some special attention.

The whole thing backfired. You could tell Neil felt very bad about the little girl crying. He immediately turned attention toward the mother instead but the girl acted like she was going to be kidnapped from the stage. She kept crying and trying to leave her seat until Neil abruptly went the other direction and her dad picked her up and pinned her to his chest. She stayed there in his lap the rest of the night. She never seemed to recover. I think she cried herself to sleep eventually.

I couldn't help but think...what a waste of a front row seat. It was empty most of the night. Everyone around the stage seemed tense after that becasue this little girl had to remain somewhere she obviously didn't want to be. Unfortunately it put a damper on the night. The parents probably didn't forsee this happening, but with little kids you never know how all the commotion and unfamiliar things going on will affect their emotions.

I was also at a Bette Midler concert a few years ago and Bette was scolding people in the front rows for bringing little ones. She said, herself, the show was not appropriate for small children and told the adults they were crazy for spending money on good seats for kids who should be home in bed. She was not kidding either.

It's really a tough call. If she goes, let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by glitter_fades; 09-20-2003 at 04:27 PM..