The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anyone else love Welcome to the Room... Sara????

I love this song and actually think it is one of my favorite Stwvie song. Am I the only one who thinks this? It seems like I have never heard anyone talk highly of this song but it is a favorite of mine.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never heard it but I'm gonna download it and see what I think. I'll let you know.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lala
I've never heard it but I'm gonna download it and see what I think. I'll let you know.
Cool...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-31-2003, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I like the song, espcecially the "in the never forgotten words" lyric and "when you hang up that phone, you cease to exist."
Old 08-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is one of my favorite Stevie songs too. It seems that people generally beat up on this song and its sister song "When I See You Again." But if you ask me, there are two very awesome Stevie songs. I think WTTRS's highlight is during the beginning where she goes "ooh...missionary." that just sends chills down my spine.... I love it...
Old 08-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason T.
This is one of my favorite Stevie songs too. It seems that people generally beat up on this song and its sister song "When I See You Again." But if you ask me, there are two very awesome Stevie songs. I think WTTRS's highlight is during the beginning where she goes "ooh...missionary." that just sends chills down my spine.... I love it...
I know exactly what you mean. And even though everyone seems to think that Stevie's songs from Tango are really bad, I think they are some of the best of her career. Maybe I just really like 80's music or something. And I will admit they are not as good as some of her earlier work, but for my personal taste they are a great batch of songs!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-31-2003, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

While it may not be one of her strongest songs musically... it's definitely one of her most revealing and personal. She's talking about being in rehab... and some "missionary" put her there. Makes me wonder who this person was... and if they're still on speaking terms! Besides Smile At You... this has got to be one of her most blunt angry songs. I guess this song, more than anything, makes me appreciate how she lives her life so openly . I can't wait for that autobiography!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 05:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

Cool

It is my favourite Stevie song, and favourite FM song period! I really LOVE the beginning instrumentation, and I love the additional ad-libbing vox of Lindsey and Christine on the song. I love the bit where Christine pitches in "for Scarlett"... and where Lindsey croons "welcome to the room..." right at the end. One of the few songs on TITN where it's a true group effort (even Mick's drumming is spot-on), and so it's the highlight of the album for me...
Old 08-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song too I don't get why most people don't like it...the lyrics are awesome (if you know what she's talking about ) and I like the music too. I love the line "this is a dream, right? Deja vu....." And I agree that Stevie' songs on TITN are very good....."and the dream says I want you....and the dream is gone..." Greatness!

adam
Old 08-31-2003, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like this song, too, especially the beginning and ending lines. The This is a dream right, deja-vu, and oh-oh are like she's coming out of her funk wondering what the hell's going on, and she doesn't like it.
Have you heard Blue Lamp yet? Some of the lyrics are the same. It's like she was reaching for the comfort of the lamp while she was at BF.

- Jake
Old 08-31-2003, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by louielouie2000
While it may not be one of her strongest songs musically... it's definitely one of her most revealing and personal. She's talking about being in rehab... and some "missionary" put her there. Makes me wonder who this person was... and if they're still on speaking terms! Besides Smile At You... this has got to be one of her most blunt angry songs. I guess this song, more than anything, makes me appreciate how she lives her life so openly . I can't wait for that autobiography!!!
I always thought the missionary her. "She was like some missionary dancing to the beat of some man's ancient drum."
Old 08-31-2003, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
I always thought the missionary her. "She was like some missionary dancing to the beat of some man's ancient drum."
Interesting take.
I thought the missionary was the person who started the intervention & told her not to hang up the phone with a drug rehab program.

- Jake
Old 08-31-2003, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Ooooh
Missionary
Well I will be different
When I get back
And you can take all of the credit
You say everything's fine, baby
But sometimes at night

Sounds to me like she's been put in rehab by this "missionary"... and she's telling him/her that they can tell everyone in the world that they were the one to intervene, and "save" Stevie from her drug addictions. Anyone else sense some bitterness here?
Old 08-31-2003, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, that's what I mean.
We know she fired Frontline after they pressured her, but I doubt they're the "friend" to whom the phone lyric refers.

- Jake
Old 08-31-2003, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I see that point, but I think Stevie could be hailing her second self here like she does in SOTM. After all her alter ego in SOTM was supposed to be her sister and take care of her because Stevie was not taking very good care of herself. So, I think when she says:

oohh
Missionary
Well I will be different
When I get back
And you can take all of the credit

She is really talking to herself via this twin she made up in the 70's. That makes the song far heavier and deeper to me.

You say everything's fine, baby
But sometimes at night

I think this is about her wanting the coke and high of the adulation she experienced at a concert while on it. At night and alone in the Betty Ford Center, she was missing that.

My $0.02

save the cheerleader - save the world