The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2004, 01:27 PM

When I bought my bottle of water, the girl behind the counter said, "We have to take the cap off." I thought I'd misheard her and, quite eloquently, stuck my neck toward her and grunted, "Huh?" She repeated that the cap had to come off.

I said, "Fine," and took my capless bottle.

Clearly, plastic bottle caps are a serious terror threat these days!
Old 06-07-2004, 01:44 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
When I bought my bottle of water, the girl behind the counter said, "We have to take the cap off." I thought I'd misheard her and, quite eloquently, stuck my neck toward her and grunted, "Huh?" She repeated that the cap had to come off.

you know, the girl told me the same thing. i discussed this with my coworker and we basically figured it was because the bottle can become a weapon with the cap on. think about it....however, my camera and lenses could be a more dangerous weapon! it's really silly.

so, next time, remember to bring your own caps!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
i thought stevie looked and sounded phenomenal. i even thought "dreams" wasn't boring. i don't know if it's the combination of the haircut and outfits, or her energy level, but if it was the last time i ever see them or her, i'd be happy. she definately kicked it up a lot last night. i could tell as soon as she came out. lindsey did seem more subdued. he still pulled out the punches like last year, but just seemed preoccupied.
The dropping of "Silver Springs" has tilted the scales way over into Lindseyland... Now there is a solid fifteen-minute stretch between "I'm So Afraid" and "Tusk" where Stevie twirls in for the occasional harmony and then vanishes away or hides in the shadows- it's almost like she is barely there. They really need to bring back SS or some other Stevie song as a counterpoint to all of the beat-heavy songs at the end of the set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
she looked much more classy than last year. no sign of "black dress"!!! i have ZERO complaints about her wardrobe. i liked the black duster coat thing with the pink salmon design. it's basically the one she wore for the '98 "stand back" Leno or Letterman performance. the thing she brought out for "don't stop" looked pretty much like the one she wore in the Red Rocks video during "outside the rain/dreams". i totally forgot to look for the boots during "sara". i did notice the ones she wore at the end.
I know I will be thrashed for this, but I thought the new accessories were kind of tacky. She looked like a little mannequin in a vintage store that was buried under too many layers of non-matching Victorian garments. I know each piece individually would have been quite stunning, put all together it looked like a big mess. I was wondering what her stylist must have been thinking to let her go on stage like that! I did like the new hairstyle, even though it seemed a tad too bleached and over-extensioned. But the wispy/frizzy curly bangs reminded me of her "Wild Heart" look. Of course this was probably inadvertent since the weather was probably wreaking havoc on the hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
what else....oh, "stand back" had to be one of the best ones i've seen in years. i know everyone says that but, it really kicked ass. oh, for some reason, "say you will" sounded like it was in a higher key. did they change the key for this leg? i'll have to check the bootlegs.
Yes, I noticed the same thing about "Say You Will!" I think it works better in the higher key (just like I liked the higher key for the live version of "Destiny Rules" before it was dropped), but the choruses sounded even more munchkiny unfortunately. I suspect the "munchkins" are coming from the keyboard rather than a live singing munchkin. ;-)

I also thought it was a great show, and even a downright bizarre show. The three new songs, which ard kind of oddball choices, have a surprising impact on the show as a whole. "Red Rover" especially sounds even more left-of-center in the stripped-down live version. And "I Know I'm Not Wrong" works so well live that one wonders why it was never performed in concert before.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:25 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC
The dropping of "Silver Springs" has tilted the scales way over into Lindseyland... Now there is a solid fifteen-minute stretch between "I'm So Afraid" and "Tusk" where Stevie twirls in for the occasional harmony and then vanishes away or hides in the shadows- it's almost like she is barely there. They really need to bring back SS or some other Stevie song as a counterpoint to all of the beat-heavy songs at the end of the set!

yeah, "silver springs" is missed. if you want my opinion, i'd rather like to hear "silver springs" than "stand back". you'll NEVER hear "silver springs" at a solo stevie show, unlike "stand back". how many thousands of times have we heard "stand back"? it's funny, as i was leaving the parking lot i heard someone playing "silver springs" and i thought they must be real disappointed that it was nixed. it's kind of silly for them to drop it as it was a comeback single for them that many fans these days recognize them for. it would be like eric clapton dropping "layla" from his set in 1992 (or around that time) after he had reintroduced it as an acoustic piece.

Quote:
I know I will be thrashed for this, but I thought the new accessories were kind of tacky. She looked like a little mannequin in a vintage store that was buried under too many layers of non-matching Victorian garments. I know each piece individually would have been quite stunning, put all together it looked like a big mess. I was wondering what her stylist must have been thinking to let her go on stage like that! I did like the new hairstyle, even though it seemed a tad too bleached and over-extensioned. But the wispy/frizzy curly bangs reminded me of her "Wild Heart" look. Of course this was probably inadvertent since the weather was probably wreaking havoc on the hair!
i won't thrash you. : ) yeah, she did seem bundled down at times....it was like she was trying to save time so she just threw everything on and peeled the top layers off as she went along. i really didn't have a problem with it though. i really liked seeing the different layers she had on. anything's better than black dress.

Quote:
Yes, I noticed the same thing about "Say You Will!" I think it works better in the higher key (just like I liked the higher key for the live version of "Destiny Rules" before it was dropped), but the choruses sounded even more munchkiny unfortunately. I suspect the "munchkins" are coming from the keyboard rather than a live singing munchkin. ;-)
ok, so i'm not crazy. i actually really liked it in the higher key. stevie doesn't sound so monotone and nasally when she ups the key of a song. i immediately thought she was doing this so it would help preserve her voice. it probably keeps it in shape when she uses those muscles. i think her voice coach (does she even have one now?) wanted her to raise the key on a song that didn't really fluctuate too much with highs and lows. "say you will" is pretty consistent. i like it in the new key much better.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like you guys had a great time at the show!! Unbelievable about the water bottles!! I remember I didn't have any water at the Albany show last year and by the time it was over I was PARCHED!!!!!!!!!!! After the show I found a vending machine and I downed 2 Dansani's in about 1 minute.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review! Thank you!!!

I'm glad that all seems to be going well now with Stevie.....I do hope it holds out.....

NO MORE SHOW CANCELLING!!!! I had the most horrible week last week....first the Pittsburgh show gets cancelled to reschedule another show....then I lost my job on Friday!!!! I just want to sit and cry....
Waiting for the Cleveland show is the only bright light I have right now....
Stay strong and healthy, Stevie!!

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 06-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Stephanie...

So sorry to hear about your job. Something better will come along!!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Ledgie

On GYOW, when Lindsey came to the audience to let them play his guitar, someone in the crowd gave him a necklace – actually slipped it over his head as he was playing. Pretty cool. And the Stand Back dance is still there, hot as ever.

That was me. He actually bent his head down for me to slip it over his neck, and then it got stuck around his ears, so he went to pull it down the rest of his head, and of course the darn thing broke, oh well, it was cool that he even tried to help me put it on him, so I ended up just playing the guitar after that.......what a show! Jill
Old 06-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
So sorry to hear about your job. Something better will come along!!
Hi...
Thanks for the encouraging words. It's just been so miserable lately. So much hard work and dedication gone down the tubes. The Mac is the ONLY thing I have to look forward to.....good thing the tickets were paid for already too, don't think I could do it on unemployment now!

Jill, that's so awesome that Lindsey let you put a necklace on him....betcha he felt bad when it broke!!!

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 06-08-2004, 10:32 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill
On GYOW, when Lindsey came to the audience to let them play his guitar, someone in the crowd gave him a necklace – actually slipped it over his head as he was playing. Pretty cool. And the Stand Back dance is still there, hot as ever.

That was me. He actually bent his head down for me to slip it over his neck, and then it got stuck around his ears, so he went to pull it down the rest of his head, and of course the darn thing broke, oh well, it was cool that he even tried to help me put it on him, so I ended up just playing the guitar after that.......what a show! Jill

I saw that.....cool!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca

OMG, this happened to me & hubby back in Summer 2001 when we went to see Stevie solo at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ. We were pretty upset about it. Just couldn't believe it.

Lee
Old 06-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Ledgie

Stephanie

So sorry to hear about your job loss. That part of the state is just being hammered right now. I hope you find a job you truely love. If anyone deserves to have a good time on Sunday it is you.

Good luck and enjoy the show.

Terri
Old 06-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quite kind of you, Terri....thank you!!

I hope we all get a great show and get to have the best time on Sunday!!!

Stephanie

Old 06-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

Right on!

I just got back to Toronto after spending the last few days in NYC to see the Mac. The concert was amazing! I'd already seen them in Buffalo and Toronto but the Jones Beach show was by far the best one yet!