The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably my first memory was the Gypsy video but I really remember seeing the Little Lies video all the time. I remember being confused too because there were two blond haired women in the video and I thought that was weird.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My first memory of Fleetwood Mac was hearing Dreams on the radio and suddenly being aware that I knew the lyrics to the chorus, it was the first one I learned. Also, the song gave me a very good feeling, I was probably about 6 or 7. The first image of Stevie I recall is the Gypsy video, I loved it and it inspired me to be a gypsy for Halloween that year, although my costume wasn't quite the gauzy dream I'd had in mind. Then the Hold Me video, she is so stunning in that but you hardly get to see her. I wanted to look just like her! cool:

~Susan:
Old 12-26-2003, 07:14 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

About six years old; "Everywhere" was on a cassette tape that my dad had of songs he liked from the radio. I loved that one too... with my sharp voice then I went all day: "oh IIIIIIIIIII"...

...well I do not like the song that much these days, but of course it brings up some memories. The funny part is that I never knew it was a Fleetwood Mac song until I bought the Greatest Hits CD about three years ago... Damn ingnorance.

If you count that, I watched an old "Dreams" performance in an oldies show from chilean television and thought "that girl is beautiful". I was about 12 years old.

Song of the moment - Gold Dust Woman
Old 12-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Snippets of memories...

I remember when Rumours came out, my dad had the album and the 8-track. I wasn't allowed to touch the stereo. (I was 7 at that time). I remember the album with the "yellow" cover as being off-limits, and I remember hearing "Dreams." That was the "big people's music." I stuck to my Disco Duck.

My parents divorced that same year. So later on, after my dad moved into his apartment, I associated "You Make Lovin' Fun" with that time period. It must have been playing on the radio when he picked me up one day or something...but that memory is crystal clear.

I do recall seeing the "Hold Me" and "Gypsy" videos in the early 80s, but my first "on my own" Stevie/Fleetwood Mac moment was my purchase of the "Stand Back" 45. I had known about the Stevie witch rumour by then, but I don't think I associated her with Fleetwood Mac at that point. But, anyway, I thought I was pretty cool for having that 45!!

Then in 1987, I heard "Big Love" on the radio....and saw Lindsey pouting sexily in the video...and that, ladies and gentlemen, was that.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Watching "The Dance" video at my grandma's and hearing my mom and uncles go on about how old the band looks.

Why wasn't I born 20 years earlier?

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Siri Ruane
Why wasn't I born 20 years earlier?
I feel your pain!
Old 12-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Hmmm......

Well, I do recall hearing Dreams, GYOW, GDW, Hold Me (which I heard in Kohls yesterday!!), Rhiannon, Gypsy and Little Lies on the radio when I was a kid PRIOR to my discovering FM in 2001 for REAL.

In 2000, I remember hearing Landslide from the Dance on my local soft rock station and just LOVING that song to death!! This was before I liked FM around March/April 2001!!

It was meant to be...Destiny Rules.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Talking about those 180 degree turnarounds.

Six years earlier I turned on the radio just to hear this middle-of-the-road fodder called "Little Lies" come out of the radio. I disliked the song immediately as I pretty much disliked any mainstream song that came from the '80s and '90s at the time. I thought it sounded like something that only soulless robots could do.

Now it is one of the very best songs any incarnation of FM has released, and I can state that while being completely objective.

I thought there would be stuff like this in the thread:

"The first song I heard was 'Brown Eyes'; my mother played it to me while I was still in the womb."

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember the videos on MTV as a kid. I remember watching Gypsy and my mom telling me not to like Stevie because she's a witch. I remember that image of her walking then her face in the end and thinking weird because I really wondered if she was a witch. I'm sure my older sister liked her and she'd let me watch the videos.

My mom to this day hates Stevie for some reason. I just don't understand.

When I saw Gypsy years later --I totally remembered it and it didn't send me weird chills anymore.

Yeah, it sucks for us young'ns We missed it all. I was born the same year Rumours came out so that didn't leave me much of a chance to become a real true fan until the Dance.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also remember listening to the White cassette, like when I was six. I remember ISA the most, I thought the organ (or whatever it is) was awsome...
Old 12-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really don't have any Mac memories before The Dance came out....my mom and I watched it on VH1, bought the video at Best Buy, and listened to the tape in the car all the time. I think I might have also listened to FM Live 1980 (which I also loved!)BEFORE the Dance came out, but it's vague.

My mom and I have completely worn out the Dance video....we have watched it literally atleast 100 times.....

adam
Old 12-31-2003, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default First Mac Memory

I used to wake up at 6 a.m. every Sunday morning to hear Casey Kasem count down Billboard's Top 40 on the radio (loved those cheesy "long distance dedications" That was the first time I heard a Fleetwood Mac song, Hold Me, which was stuck at #4 for like seven weeks in 1982 I think I was 11 at the time.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do remember hearing FM's songs all over the radio without knowing who they were. I didn't care to find out because they weren't disco so they weren't cool! ;-) However, I do remember that Bob Welch's solo version of "Sentimental Lady" was a big hit and I really liked it. Anyway, I remember going to the store when I was around 6 or 7 and seeing this display of albums in the music department. I just remembered there were a bunch of albums in the display with naked people on the cover, one of whom was really hairy. I was aghast and thought these people were dirty. When I asked what this was, I was told by my older sister that it was Fleetwood Mac. I vowed never to like these obscene, filthy naked people. ;-) Of course it wasn't until several years later that I realized I was so traumatized by the sight of the Buckingham Nicks album cover (which had just been re-released at the time).
Old 12-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My second Mac memory was when my uncle brought his copy of Rumours over to our house when I was 9 years old. He forgot it in the CD player, so my mom put it up to give it back to him. But I snatched it and didn't give it back till two years later when I realized that was wrong.

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.