The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I'm sure there will be one surprise song no matter what. Maybe 2.

I wouldn't expect it to be announced beforehand.

Michele
Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 PM

They are going to open with Holiday Road, Michele!! lol
Old 09-13-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
And Stevie will do the barking noises.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats a setlist that could change a few minds. I had to correct my misspelling from setlust... lol, that was another thread, wasn't it?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

I got a good laugh with that. Stevie would be horrified. Cue her "Not gonna happen" gif.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I got a good laugh with that. Stevie would be horrified. Cue her "Not gonna happen" gif.
You called?

And don't forget THEIR 'not gonna happen' gif...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I think you're onto something here. I smell a rat. I can't see "You Make Loving Fun" being the second song in the set, right after "The Chain". That doesn't follow their predictable pattern. AND, as much as I DON'T think "Stand Back" belongs in a Fleetwood Mac set, I can't see them dropping it. I agree that "Don't Stop" comes too early. Time will tell.
I hope the set list is not a predictable pattern! Isn't enough that most of the set list is stuck in the mud? The easiest thing they could do to refresh the same old songs is to rearrange their sequence, giving them a new context. They are not performing a play, where there is set structure to

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-13-2014 at 10:46 PM..
Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It just seems too short...

Also, I think it rocks up until Big Love... Oh, little lies is cool too!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
You called?

And don't forget THEIR 'not gonna happen' gif...

Haha.. You waited all day for that cue...
Old 09-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I don't think it's trolled. It's too close to what we would expect from them. 23 songs, songs in the right places, little to no changes from last time, no probing the back catalogue.

Right now there are only 7 songs different from the 2013 tour. That's unacceptable. It shows how much Stevie and Lindsey are stuck in their ways, and frankly how little time and effort they spend preparing for these tours. With so much of the same, they'll be sleepwalking through the songs.
I sometimes think they are too used to performing well-worn songs because they can sleepwalk; it's easier. Why should I try to breaking in these new stiff shoes, when my old shoes are just comfortable and familiar? My identity is defined by this style.They expect me to look this way. I might upset and confuse them if I wear something different.

Aren't they just pleasing a particular fan mindset that might want them to stay stuck in their ways?

"They have to play this song or I won't be happy."
"This song has to follow this other song."
"This song has to open the show."
"They should't perform this song; doesn't translate."

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-13-2014 at 11:42 PM..
Old 09-14-2014, 12:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Not sure if we can take this setlist as the official one as we have no confirmation. Having said that...

Fleetwood Mac is truly a band where history is the best predictor of future behaviour.

If you look at all of their tours, even those going back to the late 70s/early 80s, the band has always used the same formula in their concerts. If there is a new album to promote, the new material is never put up front and centre and these songs usually do not even make an appearance until after 3-5 classic songs have been played. If there is no new album, it is simply hit after hit after hit - with some new songs (usually without studio recordings) thrown in. [To be fair, the EP with 4 new tracks was out of the norm for the band and was a step in the right direction].

Stevie and Lindsay have had two tours without Christine. These tours would have been a perfect time to mix the set up completely; neither of them had nearly as many 'hits' as Christine and therefore they really could have gone into their back catalogue and created a very different set. Sadly, they stuck to the tried and tested 'Rumours is supreme mode, and we all know the rest. Rare tracks like Storms, Beautiful Child, Sisters Of The Moon, Not That Funny, Oh Well were added (not all during the same tour and sets, of course) for the true Fleetwood Mac fans, however we are certainly in the minority. This is exactly how classic rock bands do, and arguably should, tour. The majority of people there are those that want the hits, want the songs that are constantly on classic rock radio. If all of the aforementioned rare songs, or other album tracks, were played during the same set the majority of the crowd would leave feeling disappointed.

Fleetwood Mac charge a lot to see them. They know what the vast majority of people want and expect. They have known this tour after tour, and therefore what else should we expect? I think we should enjoy the fact that Brown Eyes is back in, as well as 'rare' tracks like Sisters Of The Moon and I Know I'm Not Wrong. It shows that the band wants to at least signify the 'true' fans in the audience (though I would agree that they could stretch to songs that were not played over the last two tours).

As for Stevie's songs, she has not been in rehearsal much so I do not think we should be surprised. For Lindsay, we can even look to his solo set lists to see that he always sticks with the hits. To be fair to Mr. Buckingham, when he tours behind a new album he does promote the heck out of it in his shows and is pretty good at splitting the concerts 50/50 between FM and solo. However, he is not known to go deep into his solo material either (i.e. very little from Out Of The Cradle, Gift Of Screws, or any of his 80s work is played). And as for Christine, she is back and therefore everyone will be wanting to hear the hits we have missed for so long.

Maybe the next tour, with a new album in the works, will be different. For now, I think it is best just to expect what we all know will be played. FM is lucky in that they have a brand new audience that wants to hear all these classic songs. I have seen them twice and have only been a fan since around 2006. For me, hearing these songs live is still a moving experience. I was at one of the London shows with Christine last year, and was not bored during any of the set. I am hoping to go to the Toronto show this tour, though do not have a ticket yet (if anyone has 1 or 2 decently priced tickets for the Toronto show, would be great to get a message!)

So rather than be cross or disappointed at a set list, embrace what you will be experiencing. If you have chosen to purchase a ticket to see them enjoy the fact that you are listening to a 2 hour+ show filled with incredible music that will still be played and respected long after the band's touring days are over.

Last edited by Andy Man; 09-14-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Old 09-14-2014, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The last few tours have been great for surprises; I Know I'm Not Wrong, Beautiful Child, Storms, Sisters, Oh Well, Sara, Monday Morning...

However, keep changing it up! Just because you brought back these wonderful songs does NOT mean they should stay in the set!

Swap I Know for What Makes You Think.
Swap Big Love for Never Going Back and then in the other spot give us Save Me A Place.
Swap I'm So Afraid for Tango.
Swap Sisters for Angel.

Just changing the placement of the songs (Like moving Don't Stop out of the encore section) shouldn't count as a surprise...
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I keep saying this but the most important song for me is Sara. I want to see it with Christine's piano so badly. It's like when I saw Crosby Stills & Nash a month ago and they didn't play Suite Judy Blue Eyes, I was so bummed. It was still a great show and I loved it but Suite Judy Blue Eyes was the most important song for me to see live from that band.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Registered

[QUOTE

Aren't they just pleasing a particular fan mindset that might want them to stay stuck in their ways?

[/I][/QUOTE]

the plan is probably bring back people who gave up on them ( I have friends who haven't seen them in decades buying tickets ) Reestablish themselves with the "hits" to get back into their conscious and then hope they are interested in the new cd when it comes out It's the Music BUSINESS after all

as for the Set List just because it's on the Interwebs Doesn't make it true .... so don't get your (collective) panties all twisted
Old 09-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
don't know but the last tour had 24 i think.

setlist seems close to correct, because those are the songs announced on that FM instagram account in the last day (although they've been pulled since?), as well as order being visible in that RS pic. i think any one of us who paid attention would probably construct this exact same setlist.

so yes, the person who posted it can be a troll or in the know, really hard to tell when all the info is already out there, other than what songs were rehearsed.

anyway there seems to be 0 surprises in that setlist. possibly Little Lies was a bit unexpected because they've never played it live with LB, but it was one of their biggest hits so would make sense for a yet another Greatest Hits tour. and i was really hoping for Hold Me, also a huge hit, so that's a disappointment not seeing it mentioned in any announcements.
I think what we can see in the Rolling Stone photo is a safe bet, but I can see them switching the order around. When the "Say You Will Corkboard Setlist" was posted, they had "Eyes of the World" as the opener, which we know changed after opening night.

Now, the person who posted the second half of the set "Little Lies," "Gypsy," "Gold Dust" could be trolling. I think someone got overexcited when they saw the picture from RS.