Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default we just disagree

I was just wondering how high this tune got on the charts?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I don't know, but it's strange you mentioned it. I just started hearing it on the radio, and it's was stuck in my head for a couple days. I hadn't heard it in a very long time, and was very happy when I did.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-26-2005, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

FM Legacy has the chart information at: http://www.fmlegacy.com/charts/DMUScharts.html. So it hit #12 and thus was Dave's highest charting single.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of that song ... Dave Mason is coming to a small venue about 2 miles from me in August ... I am on the fence about going. That's the only song I know by him! (But I really really like it!)
Old 06-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, this is very cool. This whole time I didn't realize this was the same song that Billy Dean covered years ago. I love the song. Was Dave the first person to record it?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Oh, this is very cool. This whole time I didn't realize this was the same song that Billy Dean covered years ago. I love the song. Was Dave the first person to record it?
I believe Dave & his friend Jim wrote it. Dave was the first to record it. It was a big hit in the 1970s. Billy Dean just covered an old song.

Fleetwood mac played a nice version of it on tour in 1994 & 1995: they omitted the full drum kit, played the strings on synth & let the acoustic guitars & piano carry the rhythm. It was nice hearing three technically proficient singers -- Billy, Bekka (how do you spell her name?) & Dave -- harmonize.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I believe Dave & his friend Jim wrote it. Dave was the first to record it. It was a big hit in the 1970s. Billy Dean just covered an old song.

Fleetwood mac played a nice version of it on tour in 1994 & 1995: they omitted the full drum kit, played the strings on synth & let the acoustic guitars & piano carry the rhythm. It was nice hearing three technically proficient singers -- Billy, Bekka (how do you spell her name?) & Dave -- harmonize.
This is very neat to know. I just heard Dave's version and I love it. I always knew that Billy Dean was covering an older version that was more famous originally but I never knew it was a Mac person who did it! Thanks for the info. I bet it sounded absolutely fantastic with Billy, Bekka, and Dave harmonizing, too.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie
Speaking of that song ... Dave Mason is coming to a small venue about 2 miles from me in August ... I am on the fence about going. That's the only song I know by him! (But I really really like it!)
You might know a few other songs. He usually plays "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Feelin' Alright" from his Traffic days. The latter is better known as a hit song by Joe Cocker as well as Grand Funk Railroad. He also usually plays "All Along The Watchtower," a Bob Dylan classic best known as a hit for Jimi Hendrix (Dave played acoustic on the Jimi Hendrix version). And, a lot of his set is made up of songs from his "Alone Together" album, which Lindsey cites as a major influence on his songwriting. So really, you can't go wrong.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
FM Legacy has the chart information at: http://www.fmlegacy.com/charts/DMUScharts.html. So it hit #12 and thus was Dave's highest charting single.
How ironic...his biggest hit came in 1977, and it was a song about a no-fault divorce. Hmmm, that sounds very familiar...
Quote:
I believe Dave & his friend Jim wrote it. Dave was the first to record it.
Actually, it was just written by Jim Krueger. Dave recorded it first, though Jim recorded a version a year later on his "Sweet Salvation" album. Jim's version is similar to what the "Time" band did live, in that it just had the acoustic guitars and strings. BTW, Jim had a GREAT voice.
Quote:
When I first saw the "Time" band, they opened for Crosby, Stills, and Nash. CSN's keyboardist was none other than Mike Finnigan, who was the keyboardist for the Dave Mason when "We Just Disagree" came out, and he sang harmony on the song. Anyway, Mike actually came out and harmonized with Bekka and Dave in Cincy in 1994. It was VERY cool.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I was just wondering how high this tune got on the charts?
my son is 6 & this was the 1st song he learned all the words to , i will put the cd on & just watch him belt it out!!!~
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
You might know a few other songs. He usually plays "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Feelin' Alright" from his Traffic days. The latter is better known as a hit song by Joe Cocker as well as Grand Funk Railroad. He also usually plays "All Along The Watchtower," a Bob Dylan classic best known as a hit for Jimi Hendrix (Dave played acoustic on the Jimi Hendrix version). And, a lot of his set is made up of songs from his "Alone Together" album, which Lindsey cites as a major influence on his songwriting. So really, you can't go wrong.

Let's not forget that it was Dave's tune that made Delaney & Bonnie famous:

"Only You Know & I Know"

Not that it REALLY matters, but I just wonder what Dave's facination with "Dear Mr. Fantasy" is. He wasn't in Traffic when they recorded it, he didn't write it, he basically had nothing to do with it. (I also find it hilarious that the Traffic albums that Dave is on, he's not pictured on the cover, but the ones he isn't, his photo is included.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Not that it REALLY matters, but I just wonder what Dave's facination with "Dear Mr. Fantasy" is. He wasn't in Traffic when they recorded it, he didn't write it, he basically had nothing to do with it.
Well, he DID play on it on the "Welcome To The Canteen" live album.
Quote:
(I also find it hilarious that the Traffic albums that Dave is on, he's not pictured on the cover, but the ones he isn't, his photo is included.
I think you'd better look again. He's on the cover of "Mr. Fantasy," "Traffic," "Best Of," "Last Exit," and "Welcome To The Canteen."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I think you'd better look again. He's on the cover of "Mr. Fantasy," "Traffic," "Best Of," "Last Exit," and "Welcome To The Canteen."
Umm...not on MY cover of Mr. Fantasy; it is just Chris, Steve & Jim...yep, he's pictured ON Traffic (aka Heaven Is In Your Mind) but he's wasn't a member of the band at the time, nor did he appear on the album...nor is he pictured on my copy of Last Exit. (I've got the original US released LPs)
Old 07-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Let's not forget that it was Dave's tune that made Delaney & Bonnie famous:

"Only You Know & I Know"
Now I finally know who they are.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Umm...not on MY cover of Mr. Fantasy; it is just Chris, Steve & Jim...yep, he's pictured ON Traffic (aka Heaven Is In Your Mind) but he's wasn't a member of the band at the time, nor did he appear on the album...nor is he pictured on my copy of Last Exit. (I've got the original US released LPs)
I think I'm beginning to see the problems. "Heaven Is In Your Mind" was the the band's American debut album, released when Dave Mason split the first time, and is the alterntate version of "Mr Fantasy." Dave Is on that cover, right under the window. "Traffic" was only released as "Traffic." Dave was out of the group when he ran into them in NYC. They then reunited, but I think it was over by the time the album was released. As for "Last Exit," I think that' Dave playing bass.

THE Stephen Hopkins