Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Two Kinds of Love......

TKOL came on my random play today and I forgot how much I love that song. It’s a great duet and vocal by Stevie and Bruce Hornsby. The addition to the horns by Kenny G gives a little jazz feel. Stevie’s lead and background vocals are amazing......Discuss.😎
Old 02-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
TKOL came on my random play today and I forgot how much I love that song. It’s a great duet and vocal by Stevie and Bruce Hornsby. The addition to the horns by Kenny G gives a little jazz feel. Stevie’s lead and background vocals are amazing......Discuss.��
I always loved this song and I actually heard it in the grocery store like 2 months ago! I was pleasantly suprised. I like the collaboration with Bruce Hornsby and Kenny G. I know this probably in another thread but I wonder who the famous friend was that she talked to in the song? Tom Petty??
Old 02-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite song off the album, and to me, the highlight of the 1989 tour I saw in Saratoga Springs, NY, and at the Great Woods venue in MA (she did 2 shows there from what I remember).
Old 02-01-2019, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hate the song. Weak lyrics and a blatant attempt for a hit.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Most people seem to hate this song. I am not one of them. I admit that the first few times I played OSOTM the song was one of my least favorites. But it grew on me very fast. I think people look past it because its not your typical pop song. Its very intricate in its layers which is why it really tanked live (IMHO).
Its SO written from the heart and its rare to get such a powerful love song from Stevie. This is not If Anyone Falls in Love. Two Kinds of Love is very intense. Its very magical too. I really enjoyed the song more when I heard Stevie explain it. The two kinds of love are 1. How you love somebody 2. The love you have (lust) when you see someone just walk away from you. (Picturing their buns moving lol). That "great temptation" LOL
This is probably the few/first times Stevie indirectly mentions lust in her songs. Its indirect but her explanation of the love/lust part of loving someone is quite interesting.
Also, the song is very autobiographical which I assume is about Joe Walsh. I love how she refers to someone as her "famous friend." There is also a subtle line about their intense drug addition and party lifestyle. "My third day up, his second nighter" When you are coked out of your mind, you do stay up days at a time. The word nighter could refer to a party where you stay up all night.
When you tie all the pieces of this song together, its really magical. Some don't get the magic on TOSOTM. But I get it big time. It also features big 80s stars Bruce Hornsby and Kenny G. Bruce sings good. He is not trying to steal anyone's thunder and puts in a good performance. The guy who sang it live was a joke. It sounded like he was auditioning for American Idol (in a bad way).

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-01-2019 at 06:04 AM..
Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 AM
Senior Ledgie

One of my favorite lines ever 'Who in the world do you think that you are fooling".
Old 02-02-2019, 05:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryderi View Post
One of my favorite lines ever 'Who in the world do you think that you are fooling".
I've already done everything you are doing

Don't you know, as you walk on by, the great temptations never really die
Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Hate the song. Weak lyrics and a blatant attempt for a hit.
Love the song, but she ruined it in concert for me. She treated it like a throwaway. ("So just how many kinds of love ARE there? Well, in Texas, they would say there are TWO kinds!" )

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-03-2019, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always felt like this song is kind of underrated. I don't think it's great but something about it draws me in whenever I hear it. It's really dated though and I hate the Kenny G sax
Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Love the song, but she ruined it in concert for me. She treated it like a throwaway. ("So just how many kinds of love ARE there? Well, in Texas, they would say there are TWO kinds!" )
LOL She never said that at the show I saw. But I know what you are referring to because she says it at the San Jose show that was recorded.
In fact she never said a word the entire concert except for introducing her band. She stood at the mic and stared way out there the entire time. The next day, the local paper reviewed the concert by asking "Why did Stevie not move the entire concert" Response: Her reps said she recently broke her foot and was favoring it"
She was zonked out on klonopin.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
LOL She never said that at the show I saw. But I know what you are referring to because she says it at the San Jose show that was recorded.
In fact she never said a word the entire concert except for introducing her band. She stood at the mic and stared way out there the entire time. The next day, the local paper reviewed the concert by asking "Why did Stevie not move the entire concert" Response: Her reps said she recently broke her foot and was favoring it"
She was zonked out on klonopin.
Actually, the only time Stevie says the line about "... in Texas, they would say there are TWO kinds!" was at The Summit, Houston, Texas, October 6, 1989 (the live show that was recorded for broadcast)
It would be too silly (even for Stevie!) to say that line in San Jose
Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
Actually, the only time Stevie says the line about "... in Texas, they would say there are TWO kinds!" was at The Summit, Houston, Texas, October 6, 1989 (the live show that was recorded for broadcast)
It would be too silly (even for Stevie!) to say that line in San Jose
Well here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojxn1bFWUzA

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-05-2019 at 06:12 AM..
Old 02-06-2019, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

some good lines, but the payoff as you wait for her to explain what are these two kinds of love comes down to "one for the way you walk, one for the way you love me"

and the "I talked to my famous friend last night" is a bit rich.

"He says how do you do what you do, how do you let the world in?" seems also a bit exaggerated...if anyone lived in a rock star bubble, out of reality, it was Stevie, especially during that time.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the chorus. The verses and saxophone suck.