User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali101 View Post
Her songs will be with you and in your life forever, and I think that is what gives Stevie a great pride. And at over 8000 posts you should also be proud of your contribution and generosity! Its what makes this forum so very interesting and enjoyable.

Your post hit a chord with me directly because I also got hooked at an early age 11/12 and I'm still going at 45!
What a very kind thing to say! Thank you!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dianna Agron interview with Nylon Magazine

On her actual high school persona:
"We watched Practical Magic and all of those movies, like The Craft. My friend's mom had all these Stevie Nicks outfits, and we'd gypsy dance in her living room and have seances. We'd mix all these things from the refrigerator together and we'd look at it and be like, 'This means you're going to find true love when you'r 18 years old'."

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...#ixzz1fJgLq4JQ
Old 12-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Holiday shoppers. Has anyone seen the Let's Rock Elmo doll? Why did I immediately think of Stevie when Elmo says, "Let's Rawk!"

I may have to buy it.....

Oh, and he also sings "It Takes Two."
Didn't Stevie sing that song somewhere?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fashion taking Stevie Nick's gothic goddess lead From: The Daily Telegraph December 03, 2011 12:00AM

FOR a woman whose wardrobe has been decidedly trapped in a 1970s time warp, visiting gothic goddess Stevie Nicks must be pretty chuffed
Her status has increased from rock 'n' roll siren to contemporary style icon.

While forever lauded for her gypsy look and mystical image - billowing dresses, layers of lace, suede platforms and that lion's mane of golden hair - it was much more individual than mainstream, until the hippie revival started drenching catwalk collections the world over late last year.

During New York Fashion Week in September, Italian fashion house Pucci paraded a series of maxi dresses down the runway that would not be out of place on Nick's latest tour In Your Dreams, which has received rave reviews.

Locally, Zimmerman is championing the trend this summer, while Miss Unkon has always had that ethereal flavour.

"Stevie Nicks remains an inspiration to Miss Unkon every season," general manager of the brand, Alanda Noble, said yesterday.

"We reference so much in each collection from her ethereal style and free spirited way of being. I always remember visualising her, long blonde hair, billowing dresses and a tambourine in her hand. She is so beautiful and dreamy."

Ain't that the truth.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1226212696891
Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an interview with Jesus Rivera who puts the ice down at the Huntington Center arena.
http://www.toledoblade.com/local/201...us-Rivera.html

Do you get behind-the-scene access?
No not really. It’s a professional facility. I meet people on the job. I remember passing Stevie Nicks in the hall and thinking, ‘Oh there goes Stevie Nicks.’ But usually I’m just so busy. We want them to come back for another show.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Queen of rock rolls with career's punches
BY STUART WALMSLEY
08 Dec, 2011

Rolling Stone once dubbed her the ''reigning queen of rock and roll'', and while Stevie Nicks may no longer sit on the throne, she continues to influence those who do.
Artists like Sheryl Crow, Courtney Love and even the Dixie Chicks have cited her as an inspiration - not bad for a girl who was only added to Fleetwood Mac after then boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham insisted they came as a package deal.

The long, flowing skirts and tassles remain at age 63, but the feverish on-stage antics have given way to a slow twirl. She may be moving with less verve, but Nicks showed fans at the AIS Arena last night that her songwriting ability is far from on the wane.

Nearing the end of an Australian tour to promote her latest album In Your Dreams, Nicks only borrowed sparingly from her Fleetwood Mac days and past solo career, preferring new material co-written in 2010 with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics fame.

In Your Dreams has been widely lauded as her best collection of songs since the '80s and she told fans last night that the experience of making the album with Stewart at her Santa Monica home was ''the best year of my life''.

And Nicks has had some tough ones. She battled cocaine addiction during her Fleetwood Mac days, dependence on tranquilisers after she began her solo career in 1981 and has had a string of failed romances and one divorce.

But she doesn't hide from her past - openly declaring after the first track Stand Back last night that she was almost certain she'd never been to Canberra before, unless it was some time during the '70s, ''and you all know why I might not remember that''.

A glitter-clad Stewart made sporadic appearances during the show, but allowed Nicks centre stage to perform her greatest hit Dreams, to this day Fleetwood Mac's only US No.1 hit.

The faith she has in the new material was demonstrated by the fact Nicks performed Love Is from In Your Dreams as an encore and the smattering of teens in the AIS Arena crowd was proof her appeal is not just restricted to those approaching pension age.

A recent appearance on the popular American musical television series Glee shows Nicks has the potential to inspire a whole new generation.

That's great news for fans, and also the owners of heritage clothing stores.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...s/2385611.aspx
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Karinthy Connection with Bern
13 December 2011 , 7:08 PM by Bernadette Young

In 1929, Hungarian writer and poet Frigyes Karinthy wrote a short story called "Chains".

Few people know of the book or the author but you would know the phrase he coined, "six degrees of separation". This is The Karinthy Connection.

Every Tuesday after 5.30pm, a music lover is invited onto Drive with Bernadette Young to continue the musical chain. It's taken all year but finally Bern can be a guest on her own segment! With Trevor Jackson playing the role of host.

Last week's Karinthy guest, Russell Thomas left us with The Motels, Total Control.

When the Motels started out in 71 they were originally called The Warfield Foxes .. they disbanded in 77 citing the classic "musical differences" .. the following year Martha Davis got together with Jeff Jourard who was formerly with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers before they became famous .. I have to concede I haven't found too many articles to confirm exactly how long he played with them .. I have a suspicion it was a small role .. but it's enough to allow me to play Stop Dragging My Heart Around by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty.

I first discovered Stevie Nicks and that song from an end of year compilation 1981 Over The Top. Every Christmas it was a tradition that we'd get a record as a family present. If ABBA didn't have a new release that year, then it would be a compilation of some kind. Weirdly there's a Dave Stewart track on that album too but it's a completely different Dave Stewart to the one I'm connecting to. Dave A Stewart seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment and certainly Stevie Nicks says her latest album simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Dave, who co-wrote several songs, produced and sang on her new album In Your Dreams. His most famous pairing is with Annie Lennox in The Eurythmics but before that he and Annie and Peet Coombes were The Tourists - I Only Want To Be With You (1979)

Back in 1971 when Dave was 19 he managed to get his then band, Longdancer, signed to Rocket Records, Elton John's record label. They didn't achieve any great success but it did open Dave's eyes to the world of rock n roll excess. I'm told by a reliable source that Elton said to Dave one day "What's your thing? What do you like?" and Dave told him he liked old American comics. So next thing you know a box of comic books is delivered to his hotel room and he finds himself on a bed with Elton ... reading comics. Elton John - Too Low For Zero

There's an extra connection here back to The Motels because Australian film maker Russell Mulcahy did the film clip for Only the Lonely as well as Elton's I'm Still Standing from the Too Low For Zero album. But my connection is tapes!! I remember the Too Low For Zero tour in 1984 because it was one of the first, if not the first, to be simulcast on what was then Brisbane's first FM rock station 104.5. We bought the best tapes money could buy to ensure the best sound as we taped it off the radio. It's hilarious to me that we thought more expensive tapes would go the distance! But I was still taping music off the radio into the 90's and still believing that expensive tapes would last. I distinctly remember running out the door one Saturday desperate to buy some blank tapes to record a triple j concert (I think it was for a safe sex campaign from memory) and Crowded House were playing. Better Be Home Soon (Live 1996)

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2...with-bern.html
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Queen of rock rolls with career's punches
BY STUART WALMSLEY
08 Dec, 2011

Rolling Stone once dubbed her the ''reigning queen of rock and roll'', and while Stevie Nicks may no longer sit on the throne, she continues to influence those who do.
Artists like Sheryl Crow, Courtney Love and even the Dixie Chicks have cited her as an inspiration - not bad for a girl who was only added to Fleetwood Mac after then boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham insisted they came as a package deal.

The long, flowing skirts and tassles remain at age 63, but the feverish on-stage antics have given way to a slow twirl. She may be moving with less verve, but Nicks showed fans at the AIS Arena last night that her songwriting ability is far from on the wane.

Nearing the end of an Australian tour to promote her latest album In Your Dreams, Nicks only borrowed sparingly from her Fleetwood Mac days and past solo career, preferring new material co-written in 2010 with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics fame.

In Your Dreams has been widely lauded as her best collection of songs since the '80s and she told fans last night that the experience of making the album with Stewart at her Santa Monica home was ''the best year of my life''.

And Nicks has had some tough ones. She battled cocaine addiction during her Fleetwood Mac days, dependence on tranquilisers after she began her solo career in 1981 and has had a string of failed romances and one divorce.

But she doesn't hide from her past - openly declaring after the first track Stand Back last night that she was almost certain she'd never been to Canberra before, unless it was some time during the '70s, ''and you all know why I might not remember that''.

A glitter-clad Stewart made sporadic appearances during the show, but allowed Nicks centre stage to perform her greatest hit Dreams, to this day Fleetwood Mac's only US No.1 hit.

The faith she has in the new material was demonstrated by the fact Nicks performed Love Is from In Your Dreams as an encore and the smattering of teens in the AIS Arena crowd was proof her appeal is not just restricted to those approaching pension age.

A recent appearance on the popular American musical television series Glee shows Nicks has the potential to inspire a whole new generation.

That's great news for fans, and also the owners of heritage clothing stores.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...s/2385611.aspx
Think they got their albums mixed up....
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From article on Mx Justin Vivian Bond in Theater Mania

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york...res_46375.html

Bond opens the show with a cover of LCD Soundsystem's "New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" which sets an irreverently melancholic tone for the evening, which includes songs by Nick Cave, Kate Bush, and Stevie Nicks. Bond sets up the Fleetwood Mac classic "Rhiannon," by describing seeing Nicks in concert at Jones Beach and being visited by the ghost of Edgar Allen Poe. V conjures both Nicks and Poe throughout the song, giving it a whimsical vibe while adding that it very well could all be a hallucination.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Discussion of Lana Del Rey's Video Games
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...ideo_games.php

If a listener squints her ears hard enough, she can almost sound like a Stevie Nicks impersonator who's prone to making herself seem different from her Night Of 1000 Stevies rivals by throwing a widdle bidda babee tawwk into her enunications now and then. The resulting song is all instrumental flourish, a mumblecore flick with a soundtrack by a Casio-core John Williams tribute band.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ouch.

20 biggest flops of 2011.

15. Stevie Nicks, 'In Your Dreams'

Despite a massive promotional blitz that included appearances on “Oprah,” “Ellen,” “Good Morning America” and “Dancing With the Stars”—not to mention a co-headlining tour with Rod Stewart and glowing reviews from Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone and the Boston Globe—the first album in a decade from rock’s legendary Gold Dust Woman was more dust than gold, falling off the Billboard 200 album chart after just 10 weeks with sales of only 127,000. Even Nicks’ last album, the decidedly mediocre “Trouble in Shangri-La,” sold five times that number.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Ouch.

20 biggest flops of 2011.

15. Stevie Nicks, 'In Your Dreams'

Despite a massive promotional blitz that included appearances on “Oprah,” “Ellen,” “Good Morning America” and “Dancing With the Stars”—not to mention a co-headlining tour with Rod Stewart and glowing reviews from Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone and the Boston Globe—the first album in a decade from rock’s legendary Gold Dust Woman was more dust than gold, falling off the Billboard 200 album chart after just 10 weeks with sales of only 127,000. Even Nicks’ last album, the decidedly mediocre “Trouble in Shangri-La,” sold five times that number.
That ___________blanking sucks.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I'd hardly call In Your Dreams a flop - especially compared to a lot of other albums that don't even chart. But whatever.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
^ I'd hardly call In Your Dreams a flop - especially compared to a lot of other albums that don't even chart. But whatever.
Any music industry insider will tell you that ANY album that sells over 100,000 copies in today's market is a hit. 127,000 copies is a major success for Stevie Nicks.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Any music industry insider will tell you that ANY album that sells over 100,000 copies in today's market is a hit. 127,000 copies is a major success for Stevie Nicks.
Exactly.

And that entire list was based on comparing albums to what people's last albums sold like 5+ years ago. Times are changing. No one was expecting Stevie to go platinum in 2011. She's gotten a lot of positive publicity and attention and tbh is more popular now than I think she has been in the past few years, so I don't see how IYD could be considered a flop at all.