Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I didn’t see that tour, but I read some really positive reviews of it. Not that I disagree with your premise that Lindsey doing the tour wouldn’t have been great, but I don’t recall the words slick or underwhelming being used to describe it.
I saw the tour and it was actually really good. My only complaint was the classic Mac songs were a bit conservative for a live performance. But that's understandable since there were 2 new guys. IMHO they did clever ways to spruce up the set in the absence of Lindsey:
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You (Christine on grand piano was........grand)
Stand Back - a surprise and a first time novelty
Don't Let Me Down Again - Buckingham/Nicks returns to the Mac
Brown Eyes - Their only song from Tusk
Blue Letter - Great encore
Isn't It Midnight

They did Sara in Europe and sadly there are no recordings of this floating around. I never cared for their version of the chain. It lacked intensity IMHO. I believe Lindsey's parts were sung by both Rick and Billy which made it sound cheezy IMHO. I could be wrong but I think the BTM tour, Lindsey's parts were only sung by Billy. Big improvement IMHO.
Having said all this, both tours without Lindsey never got great reviews. There was the constant "it takes 2 guitarists to replace Lindsey." Even in 1990 when they added a few more licks to their playing I remember the Pittsburgh Press making fun of Billy and Rick's bad Italian haircuts. It just was brutal. I love Lindsey and prefer him in the band but the farewell concert in late 1990 was one of my favorite Mac concerts of all time. So much energy and Chris and Stevie in their mini skirts. They were all having fun on stage. That was the last time to maybe On With the Show tour were they were having fun on stage. The Dance Christine was miserable and even Lindsey did not seem happy and going through the motions. When you watch some of those BTM shows on youtube, it truly was the last time everyone was having fun and the last of the arena rock days. By the time the late 90s came along, technology took over and everyone wanted to play live and sound like the record.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-07-2021 at 11:39 AM..
Old 11-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Everywhere
Gypsy
Eyes of the World
Little Lies

Love in Store
Book of Love
That’s Alright
Tango in the Night
Hold Me
Wish You Were Here
I love that you included “Book of Love,” that’s such an under appreciated gem IMO. Not sure how well all this would hang together as an album though. I think it’d feel more like just highlights of Mirage and Tango mooshed together. Pulling from the solo albums to add to Mirage would probably sound more cohesive.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
I love that you included “Book of Love,” that’s such an under appreciated gem IMO. Not sure how well all this would hang together as an album though. I think it’d feel more like just highlights of Mirage and Tango mooshed together. Pulling from the solo albums to add to Mirage would probably sound more cohesive.

I really like the Book of Love version on the alt box set with Stevie’s voice more prominent …..kind like I feel about the Oh Daddy and I know I’m not Wrong alt versions.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn’t see that tour, but I read some really positive reviews of it. Not that I disagree with your premise that Lindsey doing the tour wouldn’t have been great, but I don’t recall the words slick or underwhelming being used to describe it.
I’ve seen the video special of it and heard several songs from the tour. Slick and underwhelming are my words. And I stand by them.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What if there had been a cure for schizophrenia in the ‘70s and the band decided to fire Lindsey during the Tusk tour?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The “what if” I often imagine is Lindsey actually fulfilling his tour commitment for TANGO. Just think of how exciting and cool that would have been, instead of the slick, wholly functional yet underwhelming experience it actually was.
I love the album Tango in the Night. I too wish he would have toured it. I might have changed the history of the band.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
What if there had been a cure for schizophrenia in the ‘70s and the band decided to fire Lindsey during the Tusk tour?
Not related with this post but when I read the word "schizophrenia" reminded me something I read in Mick's book. It was during the Rumours tour:

After twenty-three shows with only a day off here and there, traveling the length and breadth of the land, we were almost spent. Lindsey was so exhausted from fronting the band that he passed out in the shower in his Philadelphia hotel suite and was later diagnosed as having a mild form of epilepsy.

I'm not a doctor but does that exist? "mild epilepsy"? Can that appear when somebody is already an adult? It sounds to me more like a heavy stress. Is he still suffering that "mild" epilepsy?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Not related with this post but when I read the word "schizophrenia" reminded me something I read in Mick's book. It was during the Rumours tour:

After twenty-three shows with only a day off here and there, traveling the length and breadth of the land, we were almost spent. Lindsey was so exhausted from fronting the band that he passed out in the shower in his Philadelphia hotel suite and was later diagnosed as having a mild form of epilepsy.

I'm not a doctor but does that exist? "mild epilepsy"? Can that appear when somebody is already an adult? It sounds to me more like a heavy stress. Is he still suffering that "mild" epilepsy?
I think seizure was the word SteveMacD meant to use in his post, but schizophrenia came up instead. And I love the way Mick phrased the incident, but he also could have added “Lindsey was so exhausted from fronting the band (and abusing drugs) that he passed out in the shower…” Just to be clear, it’s very possible that the seizure was solely medically related, but rampant drug use alongside all that could have also caused the seizure, especially if Lindsey had quit using for a bit and then started up again. Also, I think the incident occurred during the Tusk tour.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. Also, I think the incident occurred during the Tusk tour.
I thought it, too. But when I looked for that episode in the book, the following paragraph says:

We finished the American leg of the Rumours tour and took a few days off in October, during which time Jenny moved us from rustic-but-removed Topanga to a New England colonial white clapboard home on Bellagio Drive in Bel Air.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rolling Stone mag ran a Random Note about it (remember the Random Notes column?). I think they called it an epileptic seizure. It was at the Philadelphia stop on the 1978 tour. Fleetwood postponed a couple of big stadium shows.

There’s very little in Mick’s 1990 book that isn’t lifted from old magazines.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-08-2021, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Rolling Stone mag ran a Random Note about it (remember the Random Notes column?). I think they called it an epileptic seizure. It was at the Philadelphia stop on the 1978 tour. Fleetwood postponed a couple of big stadium shows.

There’s very little in Mick’s 1990 book that isn’t lifted from old magazines.
One of the most interesting parts of his 1990 book was his stalker who eventually catches him The Gatorade inspections in Australia was entertaining too
Old 11-08-2021, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
One of the most interesting parts of his 1990 book was his stalker who eventually catches him The Gatorade inspections in Australia was entertaining too
MF is an extra tall bag of lying sh*t. Stupid drama queen.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You're just jealous Oh Daddy was written about him
Old 11-09-2021, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Probably. With everything now we know, it's hard to trust in Mick, to say the least. However those episodes Macfan4life mentions are not that uncommon in rock guys or famous people. They may be true.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Probably. With everything now we know, it's hard to trust in Mick, to say the least. However those episodes Macfan4life mentions are not that uncommon in rock guys or famous people. They may be true.
A lot of his book was true. Quite a bit of it was not or at least embellished. I need to read his 2nd book, at some point. Maybe I'll read two books at once and knock it out. But, there are so many other fruitful things to read.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 11-09-2021 at 08:27 AM..