Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Ledgie

Default Questions about FM crowds.

To begin, unlike some bitter ledge members (no offense). I have come to terms, and I understand there was a Fleetwood Mac before Lindsey, and there can be one after. It may feel odd seeing Neil and Mike at first, but I’ve chosen to embrace them. So I have decided to attend the tour.
Now, I am considered extremely young to be a Fleetwood Mac fan (19). The first show of the tour is in my state of Oklahoma. This will be my first Fleetwood Mac show.

I have been to plenty of concerts, and of course I like to stand, cheer, sing along with (not obnoxiously) and have a good time. I’ve read online that some FM crowds aren’t always so nice and can get agitated if you’re standing in front of their seat during a ballad, or even at all. I’m seated in the lower bowl at the back of the house just behind the floor. I’ll be attending alone.

I was wondering if anyone has had poor experiences with this?
Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had a terrible experience in a second level tier Lindsey side. The people behind us were miserable.

I now purposely look for front or last row of a section so I don't have to put up with the crankiness of at least one row of people who could've stayed home and watched a DVD.

I'm going to see the current Mac lineup and am keeping an open mind. I passed up my tickets to what would be TP&HB's last tour. Won't make that mistake with my favorite band!
Old 08-31-2018, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i think it's really hard to say. FM attracts many rich old people who want to sit, watch, drink beer.

during Lindsey tenure, he would demand that energetic (usually younger) people be let upfront to dance and sing because he likes the energy of the crowd. at his solo shows, usually everyone who wants can go upfront, if not before then during Go Your Own Way and people love to strum his guitar for the solo. i have to assume that with Lindsey gone, probably everyone upfront will need to sit down and won't be allowed to dance or interact. but who knows. that's why this thread should be in post-Rumours forum because the rules and experiences that applied since 1998 will not be applicable anymore.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-31-2018, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Good question. The Mac has had a very long career. Most of their shows have pretty tame crowds. On With The Show tour was the first time many on the floor and close to the stage stood the entire show or most of the show. I even heard Lindsey comment on how much excitement with everyone standing most of the show.
If you are far back, I imagine most will not be standing so if you stand up, you may get people upset with you. However, you are in OK and you know OK people better than us
Old 08-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s all over the place at their shows.When I go see my favorite band (and solo) I stand, Dance and sit whenever I want. I agree watch a DVD at home if you want a private showing or pay for VIP tix......I also resent the comment “rich old people like to sit”.........Not all of them! 😎
Old 08-31-2018, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOfTheNight View Post
To begin, unlike some bitter ledge members (no offense). I have come to terms, and I understand there was a Fleetwood Mac before Lindsey, and there can be one after. It may feel odd seeing Neil and Mike at first, but I’ve chosen to embrace them. So I have decided to attend the tour.
Now, I am considered extremely young to be a Fleetwood Mac fan (19). The first show of the tour is in my state of Oklahoma. This will be my first Fleetwood Mac show.

I have been to plenty of concerts, and of course I like to stand, cheer, sing along with (not obnoxiously) and have a good time. I’ve read online that some FM crowds aren’t always so nice and can get agitated if you’re standing in front of their seat during a ballad, or even at all. I’m seated in the lower bowl at the back of the house just behind the floor. I’ll be attending alone.

I was wondering if anyone has had poor experiences with this?
Just ask the people sitting behind you if it will bother them if you to "stand, cheer, sing along with (not obnoxiously) and have a good time." You may find you are seated by people of like minds. If your enthusiasm would bother them, maybe you can switch seats with someone further down the row. Sometimes you can find a compromise. Whatever happens, have a great time!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm, it seems to vary from place to place, and one group of people to another. Sometimes even in the same person. I've been on both sides of the fence. I've stood up and swayed (not certain I have enough rhythm to claim it as dancing )and sung and I've also had more relaxed shows where I just wanted to hang back and had to deal with rowdy dancers blocking the view and sloshing beer all over me. Might be a good idea to check with your seatmates in advance. Sometimes whole blocks of people in front of you stand up and it starts a wave of standing. No matter what happens, I hope you have a fantastic time!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I saw FM in 1990, people were rushing the stage and on their feet. Yes, even without Lindsey LOL! When I saw FM for the Dance, the audience was more subdued, perhaps because the concert was a virtual repeat of the MTV special, right down to Lindsey saying "isn't that we-i-rd?" For Say You Will and Unleashed, the audience seemed more energetic and was comprised of a lot of white people; some were there to get drunk and be obnoxious, others were dressed in suits and determined to remain seated at all times, and some hardcore fans. Surprisingly, a decent amount of young folks, some with their parents.

Hope you enjoy your first FM show!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOfTheNight View Post
Since you'll be at their first show, I really hope you'll share your experience with us! I think everyone will be excited to hear your thoughts.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At one concert at MSG a few years ago a grouchy older couple sat next to me (they complained about everything under the sun before the show started) and a very young couple sat in the seats in front of us. The boyfriend sat in front of the lady and the girlfriend sat in front of me. Every time the couple got up and to dance the lady would tap on the boyfriend’s shoulder and tell him to sit down and he would, which annoyed the girlfriend. When Stand Back came on it happened again and the girlfriend grabbed her boyfriend and changed places and told the woman no when she asked her to sit down. I was laughing hysterically. That girl was going to DANCE to Stand Back. The grouchy people left before they realized there would be several encore songs which made me laugh again. I was not going to tell them to stay!

Enjoy your concert!
Old 09-01-2018, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Large-scale (rock) concerts in The Netherlands usually have 'general admission' on the floor. So show up early and you'll have the best spot and the best of times singing, dancing, cheering, partying. Saw The Mac (as well as Stevie) that way (even without LB) up to 10 times since 1990.

I also saw them a couple of times from the seats on the sides in some German and Belgium arena's .... most people keep seated and it weren't really encouraged to stand up and dance and stuff ... like watching a movie ... a different concert-experience if you'd ask me ... most of the people stayed seated (while I saw McCartney, Roger Waters, Paul Simon, Florence & The Machine and many others that way, where it wasn't the case).

Next march I'll be seeing them in MSG ... very curious towards the crowd-behaviour ...
Old 09-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
At one concert at MSG a few years ago a grouchy older couple sat next to me (they complained about everything under the sun before the show started) and a very young couple sat in the seats in front of us. The boyfriend sat in front of the lady and the girlfriend sat in front of me. Every time the couple got up and to dance the lady would tap on the boyfriend’s shoulder and tell him to sit down and he would, which annoyed the girlfriend. When Stand Back came on it happened again and the girlfriend grabbed her boyfriend and changed places and told the woman no when she asked her to sit down. I was laughing hysterically. That girl was going to DANCE to Stand Back. The grouchy people left before they realized there would be several encore songs which made me laugh again. I was not going to tell them to stay!

Enjoy your concert!
StevieandChris, you were sitting behind me! I'm pretty sure that was me and my niece!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It usually depends on how much alcohol the people behind you have consumed. If it's too much, they will abuse you for standing and blocking their view. If they are standing, you can stand and no one will care either way. Really though, you can do what you feel like doing while you are there. If you stand for the whole show which I have done many times, you may be yelled at a few times but my best advice is just to ignore it. There is always at least one really tall person in my line of sight and it annoys me but I would never be so rude as to abuse em for it or call anyone names for any reason at all.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you have floor seats you’ll probably stand. If you have non floor you’ll sit 90% of the time. If you dress up like a witch you’ll have 500 65 year old twins.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
If you have floor seats you’ll probably stand. If you have non floor you’ll sit 90% of the time. If you dress up like a witch you’ll have 500 65 year old twins.
This sounds right, based on my experience.