User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1 View Post
dead shrimp blues is a Robert Johnson song rec. 27 may 68 and broadcast on top gear june 2 1968. it has appeared on a number of boots.
Dino's right- curly was recorded twice,first for saturday club on 23 jan 67 and again on feb 3 1967 for the bbc world service show Rhythm and Blues broadcast 27 feb 67
Anyone know which of the two "Curly" recordings is from which session? One has John Mayall on rhythm guitar while the other does not. And as I recall, Peter uses a fuzzbox on the recording that includes Mayall on guitar - so perhaps that's more likely to be the later session?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Piano on BBC sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Hello again, Mr. Spencer,

This has always bugged me, because it seems that whenever there is piano heard on a BBC recording of the band during the Green era, it is automatically assumed it must have been Christine McVie playing.
There are maybe a couple of BBC sessions where Christine McVie is listed as having been part of the session - yet, I can hear no evidence of her presence on any of the available recordings - the few tracks featuring piano on the sessions is demonstrably you -
That would seem to settle the question except for the fact that there is always at least one track from each of the sessions which are not available, leaving open the (imho,slight) possibility that she may have played on that particular missing track -

So my question to you is, Do you have any memory of Christine ever having joined the band (prior to Green's leaving) for any BBC sessions?

Also, do you have any recollection of you, alone, having played with Alexis Korner, backing Duster Bennett on his instrumental, "Hot Roddin'" for a BBC session? The session in question was from March of 1969. (one of those Christine is said to have played on) There is no piano on this track, you would have been on guitar, along with Korner, but the poor quality of the bootleg makes distinguishing the guitar work rather difficult, and it just struck me as surprising that you, who have often stated that you were not always keen on "sitting in" would have done so on this occasion.

There is also another recording where both you and Green back Alexis Korner, singing Leadbelly's "Good Morning Blues"; you are on piano and Green is on guitar. I have not been able to find a listing anywhere for this particular track.
The obvious answer would be that it was recorded during the same session as the Bennett track above, only that was done for Symonds on Sunday, and the DJ who speaks to Green and Korner on this "mystery" track is Brian Matthews.

Any idea at all? I do realize that this was forty years ago and probably just an impromptu session done for the radio.

thanks as always
Hello BB,
Sorry for the late reply, I was starting to forget the title of this thread!
I have no recollection of Christine showing up for any of those early BBC recordings, but she was of course present for a couple of them before I left when she had joined the band.
As far as the Alexis Korner session, I have no recollection of that either. I did play slide on a Duster Bennet track which I believe was for that show, which we recorded quickly while he was waiting for Pete to show up.
Sorry I can't be more of a help.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Always a thrill to have you here, whenever you can stop by

The slide on "Shady Little Baby" is just sublime - the playing has an almost Robert Johnson feel to it - beautiful

Thank you also for clarifying the question of whether or not Christine Perfect had played on the early Fleetwood Mac BBC sessions - I never understood why she would have, but all the books and liner notes list her on certain sessions and that information, incorrect or not, just gets repeated, with each iteration citing a previous "incorrect" listing as source - never checking for themselves

There is a complete "hidden" history of the band (and your work in particular) to be found mining the BBC sessions - it really is worth the effort to get past the surface noise and speed fluctuations to hear it - the concert bootlegs have their revelations also, but the BBC sessions deserve a wider audience

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 12-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Ledgie

Dear Jeremy. Maybe you've been asked about this many times before, but..

How did you experience Danny Kirwan as a person? for example, when you did the Kiln House tour together?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeremy, Can you please tell me 5 of your favorite songs of all time by other artists in any genre?

Also thanks for the thanks. It's an honor to support you.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Junior Ledgie

How do you feel about the blues "rebirth" throughout the eighties, by namely Stevie Ray Vaughan. In many ways it's hurt and helped the blues survive as a somewhat viable music form it's also caused a lot of people to start playing guitar.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would ask: Jeremy, do you have any specific memories of the last gig with Green in Bath May 23 1970? Or has it mostly faded from memory?
Do you remember if the band did any more gigs before the US tour in late August?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default 80's blues 'rebirth'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutYou View Post
How do you feel about the blues "rebirth" throughout the eighties, by namely Stevie Ray Vaughan. In many ways it's hurt and helped the blues survive as a somewhat viable music form it's also caused a lot of people to start playing guitar.
Good question, Without You. I was unaware of it at the time, as I was living in the far East. But since learning of it and hearing it, I have mixed feelings, as although Stevie was undoubtably good, his style seemed to generate only a slew of would-be SRV copies wearing black troubador hats playing non-stop runs on tuned-down beat up strats through vintage Fender tweed amps.
I only hope it at least made young musicians aware of players like Alberts King and Collins who played with selective taste, (although I still wonder
Okay, you could probably apply the same criterion to me sitting in a glass house years ago playing my attempts at Elmore James!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's be fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Spencer View Post
Good question, Without You. I was unaware of it at the time, as I was living in the far East. But since learning of it and hearing it, I have mixed feelings, as although Stevie was undoubtably good, his style seemed to generate only a slew of would-be SRV copies wearing black troubador hats playing non-stop runs on tuned-down beat up strats through vintage Fender tweed amps.
I only hope it at least made young musicians aware of players like Alberts King and Collins who played with selective taste, (although I still wonder
Okay, you could probably apply the same criterion to me sitting in a glass house years ago playing my attempts at Elmore James!
SRV wrote "Lenny", it's his finest composition. It combines the guitar of Jimi Hendrix ("Little Wing") yet includes far more complex chord structures than your run of the mill average blues guitarist. If you even care Jeremy (and I think you do not ) SRV liked Peter Green very much. To emote the emotion he displayed, he knew what time it was. I was told that SRV met Peter Green in New York City late 1989. I've been an SRV fan since the 80's. It's when I discovered Peter Green, I knew he was the missing link between Hendrix and SRV. SRV's emotional feel is his gift. He didn't get it from outer space.

It's the reason John Mayer (an SRV fan who is a pure phony), recorded a song that mimics "I Need Your Love So Bad".

You misspelled "troubadour", the real JS doesn't misspell his words. Whoever gets this, I hope it sends a message.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default The ONE question you don't ask when it's the only one you can ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussion View Post
Dear Jeremy. Maybe you've been asked about this many times before, but..

How did you experience Danny Kirwan as a person? for example, when you did the Kiln House tour together?
Joanne Woodward: What was it like living with Paul Newman?
Mitch Mitchell: What was it like playing with Jimi Hendrix?
Ginger Baker: How did you experience Eric Clapton as a person?

But in answer to yours: Rough.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Oops I knew I was in a glass house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
SRV wrote "Lenny", it's his finest composition. It combines the guitar of Jimi Hendrix ("Little Wing") yet includes far more complex chord structures than your run of the mill average blues guitarist. If you even care Jeremy (and I think you do not ) SRV liked Peter Green very much. To emote the emotion he displayed, he knew what time it was. I was told that SRV met Peter Green in New York City late 1989. I've been an SRV fan since the 80's. It's when I discovered Peter Green, I knew he was the missing link between Hendrix and SRV. SRV's emotional feel is his gift. He didn't get it from outer space.

It's the reason John Mayer (an SRV fan who is a pure phony), recorded a song that mimics "I Need Your Love So Bad".

You misspelled "troubadour", the real JS doesn't misspell his words. Whoever gets this, I hope it sends a message.
Maybe I should duck!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default 5 Favourites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Jeremy, Can you please tell me 5 of your favorite songs of all time by other artists in any genre?

Also thanks for the thanks. It's an honor to support you.
It's a tough call, Viv, and I've had to take some time to think about it. But I'll just list five that have stuck out over the last say, 30 years. Hope I don't get stoned for these! It seems it happens often in these PC days once I stick my opionated neck out.
Anyway, here goes:

I Wannna Know Where Love Is: Foreigner.
Gloria: Laura Brannigan
Like a Prayer: Madonna
Done With Bonaparte: Mark Knofler
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen

and two more for good measure:
Spanish Eyes: Madonna
Don't Leave Home: Dido

No blues? Odd, you may say. But the above moved me to tears.
God bless you, Viv! What a thread! Gets feathers ruffled!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
Maybe I should duck!

It's your opinion, and granted (just needed to make sure). Your favorite songs today ring true with FM doing Tim Hardin's "Hang On To a Dream" at your suggestion for the BBC. Since at that time FM was probably the best commercial cover band around, you could've had a niche' offering non blues/50's songs for performance. You could've played Beatles tunes (aside from the "Twist and Shout" cover), since the Beatles in retrospect gave FM the nod for "Sun King" through "Albatross".

On a side note: I wasn't alive when the likes of Fabian dominated the radio airwaves in the states. The original "Tiger" (Youtube) is a complete joke compared to how you changed it into a true rocker.

I know you and Peter wanted out, but looking back, the fan of that original band wants to slam their head against a brick wall in frustration of what could've been.

Do you deny had Peter Green stayed in FM another six months:

1) FM would've done a four month US tour during the summer of 1970 complete with a double LP live album from the Boston Tea Party?

2) The success of the Boston Tea Party concerts would've elevated the band to the next level?

Who am I fooling, it'll take cash to get JS to answer those questions.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It's a tough call, Viv, and I've had to take some time to think about it. But I'll just list five that have stuck out over the last say, 30 years. Hope I don't get stoned for these! It seems it happens often in these PC days once I stick my opionated neck out.
Anyway, here goes:

I am surprised by the list. I never would have guessed!! These are all great songs. All beautiful songs. You have very good taste, Jeremy.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyway, here goes:

Interesting list, Jeremy - should have expected nothing less! Curious about any influence Mark Knopfler's playing might have had on yours, as many people (including me) thought that your playing on the track "Precious Little" sounded a lot like Knopfler.

A side comment - I've thought Knopfler's work hasn't been the most consistent but he's had some brilliant moments, and some of the tracks from his recent Get Lucky album are among his best solo work. Particularly like "So Far From The Clyde." Have you heard that album, Jeremy?