User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Is Stevie still writing songs?

Hello all

This thread is to discuss Stevie's writing. Is Stevie Nicks still writing songs? I read on Fleetwood Mac News a while back that she had written a new song for Fleetwood Mac in memory of her mother called My Mother's Rings. Do we know if there is any truth in that?

If it's not true, as far as I can tell, Stevie hasn't written a new song since 2010, which is kind of sad.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder this too. If she is actually writing songs, it is odd because she will not record them. There is not sign and little hope of a new album from her. If there is anything I guarantee it will be 24KG2, which is a really long shot, or yet another retrospective/greatest hits thing. Plus she is not interested in recording with FM. No room in there for any new songs.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think You Can't Fix This is the most recent thing she wrote?

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
I think You Can't Fix This is the most recent thing she wrote?
I think so. And wasn't that just lyrics to someone else's melody?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On the last 2 albums IYD and 24KG we had little to nothing really new from Stevie. 24KG was all written long ago, with 2 tracks I Don't Care and Hard Advice from somewhere in the 90's, and one song from Vanessa Carlton. IYD was almost all lyrics to Dave Stewart or some else's melodies or versions of hidden oldies such as Annabel Lee and Secret Love. The only thing I can find there which is newer and fully crafted by Stevie is Soldier's Angel and the chorus of Moonlight! I think if she writes at all it is just journal entries in the form of fragments of possible lyrics.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t think Stevie writes songs these days....maybe bits of prose.

I also think that is the reason she did not wish to make a new Album
with Fleetwood Mac, she has no new material.

Sad, but that’s how it is.......unless, well, all she has to do is write with someone.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM

I agree Sue. I wanted Stevie on the last record so badly (after the last tour)..

I guess maybe she doesn't want to write new material. it happens to the best of us. And it's not good to force.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I remember a recent (in last few years) article where she mentioned writing songs about Game of Thrones characters... If we take her at her word, she is always writing, just does not want to record.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Technically, the last song Stevie had a hand in writing was "Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems", which she wrote with Lana Del Rey, Rick Nowles and Justin Parker. From what I can tell via interviews, Lana had written a version of the song in 2016 but wanted another female perspective, which is where Stevie came in. Stevie met up with Lana and Rick in early 2017, at which time she contributed lyrics and vocals.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The last significant blast of writing was for Say You Will, which yielded Say You Will (the song), Silver Girl, Illume, and Destiny Rules. The next time we saw Stevie was for Live in Chicago, which featured no new songs but covers. I bet she could write a few great songs now, but seems truly determined not to record anymore. I wonder if the great success of the 24KG tour might prompt her to give it one more shot, with older demos redone again? Together with some other retrospective stuff in a big package?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think she does. Or not really. She probably still writes her poems about whatever she wishes but I don't thinks she writes actual songs anymore. I believe a recent-ish interview she even said she doesn't write much lately.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would lay money that she will surprise us and release another album after the Fleetwood Mac tour ends. I think it will be a combination of new and older songs.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Ledgie

Of course she still writes. It's just in a more literal and concise manner ala "You Can't Fix This". Her life is different now. She isn't on drugs and she isn't pining for " love". We, the fans, are her love at this point hence the constant touring. She has said herself that she can't write in the same manner that she used to. She has different priorities.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only one who can truly answer this is Stevie. She is a writer, so I am pretty sure she is still writing. Whether or not we get to hear/see what she is writing is the real question. I think the Game of Thrones poetry she wrote after her mother died may still be too painful to share yet. Who knows. She could also be working on her drawings/paintings. There are many ways to be creative. The fact that she had a ball on her last tour signifies to me she is still finding joy/inspiration!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We ALL change with time and age. Few of us over 45 are still pondering life and circumstances with the same perspective that we had in our 20s/30s. I can certainly understand her current state of output (or lack thereof). The older I get, the less frills that I need. Downsizing works for me these days.

That being said, it would have been fairly simple to put out a Fleetwood Mac record. There are numerous quality vault songs that have yet to receive a proper studio recording.

Record "Julia", "Space Needle", "Joan of Arc" and one new song and you've got Stevie's part of the album done.