The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like country!! Little known fact (outside of a few friends) about me there for you all But yeah, I actually got pretty excited about the whole "Stevie doing a country version of Rumours" thing and I for one hope she does.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=MikeVielhaber;894280]Well the Eagles seem to always be touring. Their album came out almost 3 years ago and they're still going on it. So maybe that has something to do with the lack of interest.[/QUOTE]

That and the fact that people are tired of paying $200 for a ticket these days!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
In my opinion, country music- since the 90's-- has approximated the feel of rock and pop music, there aren't many new rock stars, but there seems to be tons of new country stars, and they are now promoted, marketed, the same way the rock acts of the 70s were- tons of media saturation, lots of radio airplay, and the acts play the big stadiums.
I don't dislike or like country music, to me, a good voice or a good song can transcend genre, but I don't really appreciate how country has become the force that rock once was and the country touring bands, in the worst case scenario, sometimes border on 'This Is Spinal Tap' special effects on stage.
Someone wrote that this Eagles tour is tanking in some markets? I think they've kind of worn out their welcome in the big dollar arenas, haven't they been doing this since 'Hell Freezes Over' circa 1994? Sixteen YEARS is a long time to milk 'we're baaack!!' Though, to the credit of The Eagles, they did release a well-received cd of new music 'Long Road...Eden' whatever- I have the ltd. edition red copy with some bonus tracks, or maybe it's just deluxe packaging- but I've never made it past five songs on the cd, it just didn't hold my interest, but that's probably ADD, I'll spin it again!

tanking.. is that what it is ??? if anyone's interested ticketmaster now selling seats for June 10 at The Meadowlands in the section i paid $$ 225 per ticket for - GET THIS - for $ 59.00 each and TWO FOR ONE !!! ... sit tight, by tomorrow maybe they will be paying folks to come so as to not embarass the bands !
Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
tanking.. is that what it is ??? if anyone's interested ticketmaster now selling seats for June 10 at The Meadowlands in the section i paid $$ 225 per ticket for - GET THIS - for $ 59.00 each and TWO FOR ONE !!! ... sit tight, by tomorrow maybe they will be paying folks to come so as to not embarass the bands !
Perhaps it was not such a good idea to have this kind of concert on a Thursday night, especially when the show starts at 4:30! I can see why Fleetwood Mac bailed- Mama doesn't get out of bed until after Oprah is finished.

In addition to the 2-for-1 deal, I saw front row seats in the top level of the stadium for $20. Wow. For a triple bill of arena-sized acts, that's pretty incredible- haven't seen ticket prices like that since the 80's. I mean, parking probably costs more than that. I would maybe consider checking this out if I only had some reassurance that Keith Urban was going on first and that I would have time to take public transit out to the stadium after work in time to catch some of the DC (supposedly there is a direct rail link from NY Penn??). It's a brand new stadium too, so that alone is worth checking out as well. Or would I rather stay home and watch the Real Housewives of New York City reunion? Decisions, decisions...
Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
In my opinion, country music- since the 90's-- has approximated the feel of rock and pop music, there aren't many new rock stars, but there seems to be tons of new country stars, and they are now promoted, marketed, the same way the rock acts of the 70s were- tons of media saturation, lots of radio airplay, and the acts play the big stadiums.
I don't dislike or like country music, to me, a good voice or a good song can transcend genre, but I don't really appreciate how country has become the force that rock once was and the country touring bands, in the worst case scenario, sometimes border on 'This Is Spinal Tap' special effects on stage.
Someone wrote that this Eagles tour is tanking in some markets? I think they've kind of worn out their welcome in the big dollar arenas, haven't they been doing this since 'Hell Freezes Over' circa 1994? Sixteen YEARS is a long time to milk 'we're baaack!!' Though, to the credit of The Eagles, they did release a well-received cd of new music 'Long Road...Eden' whatever- I have the ltd. edition red copy with some bonus tracks, or maybe it's just deluxe packaging- but I've never made it past five songs on the cd, it just didn't hold my interest, but that's probably ADD, I'll spin it again!
I'm not a big Eagles fan....though it's possible I'm a bigger fan than I think I am. I've heard all their big hits, but I haven't heard any of their albums. I've maybe heard Hotel California once or twice. But I have heard Long Road Out of Eden a good 5 or 6 times and I really enjoy it. Sure it's got its filler as most double albums do, but there's a lot to like on it.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I'm not a big Eagles fan....though it's possible I'm a bigger fan than I think I am. I've heard all their big hits, but I haven't heard any of their albums. I've maybe heard Hotel California once or twice. But I have heard Long Road Out of Eden a good 5 or 6 times and I really enjoy it. Sure it's got its filler as most double albums do, but there's a lot to like on it.

Oh...I WANTED to hate Long Road Out Of Eden...I really did...but, damn it, I loved it (I don't think there's a "filler tune" on the entire thing)....just like I love ALL the Eagles' studio albums (not nearly as much as Fleetwood Mac, but I occasionally go on these Eagles binges and I end up playing every album all the way through a couple of times each)....I just think they SUCK THE BIG BANANA live. I saw 'em back when Hotel California was being released (of course, why they decided to book Los Angeles for four nights two months BEFORE the album's release, and not come back afterwards, has still got me scratchin' my head) Sure, they sound "just like the record" in concert, but what's the fun in that? (for the artists themselves, much less the audience!!) BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGGG!! Talk about your big ol' yawner concert.

And to toss in my 2 cents on this topic: I don't mind country music...I "drank from the Kool-Aid" back in the '90s and played in a couple of country cover bands. Have to say, I made more money playing country for those 5 years (and played more & BETTER gigs) than I have playing rock or blues in the other 40 years of my musical career combined. (and that INCLUDES touring with a rock band around Western Canada for two years in the '80s opening for the likes of The Guess Who's Burton Cummings on occasion) Problem is, the "country scene" in Southern California dried up quicker than a spilled beer in the Sahara during August. Oh, well...got me back into playing music closer to my soul...The Blues.