The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard that the audio issues weren't 'repaired' either. Pretty disappointing as the last thing I want to do when watching a dvd is continually make audio adjustments. The best dvd I've ever seen is coldplay live.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What audio issues? I never change the volume while watching it. I've not got the DVD yet though (damn amazon...) just a boot of HDNet showing.

Last edited by Peestie; 04-01-2008 at 04:07 AM..
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
What audio issues? I never change the volume while watching it. I've not got the DVD yet though (damn amazon...) just a boot of HDNet showing.
There are audio issues with the boot I recd and I was told that those issues are present with the official dvd. I haven't watched the concert yet so I should not have mentioned them or my disappointment. Anyway, I find the mini-doc "NTL" quite interesting; although various visuals had my head ready to spin seizure with the rapid shots. Not too keen on Kirsten's unsteady hand for a number of the package/insert stills. Bottom line, I would have paid $$ for the doc on its own...priceless.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
Anyway, I find the mini-doc "NTL" quite interesting; although various visuals had my head ready to spin seizure with the rapid shots. Not too keen on Kirsten's unsteady hand for a number of the package/insert stills. Bottom line, I would have paid $$ for the doc on its own...priceless.
One thing that annoys me about the doc. is the shots of the ground in the middle of a part where, instead, we could see Lindsey talking, playing guitar, working on his album, etc. Those shots where it appears someone stuck a camera out the car window to film the ground bother me- but maybe it's my vapid interpretation. Perhaps this is art and I'm just clueless.

I think the concert is great, great, great. It's weird...sometimes Lindsey's voice doesn't translate on film as well as it does in person. He sounded fantastic at all the shows I went to, but I can hear some glitches here and there in his voice on the DVD. Nothing severe. I keep forgetting the man is, like, 60.

I love Kristen's cover shot. He looks like 40 in that picture. lol!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 04-01-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
One thing that annoys me about the doc. is the shots of the ground in the middle of a part where, instead, we could see Lindsey talking, playing guitar, working on his album, etc. Those shots where it appears someone stuck a camera out the car window to film the ground bother me- but maybe it's my vapid interpretation. Perhaps this is art and I'm just clueless.

I think the concert is great, great, great. It's weird...sometimes Lindsey's voice doesn't translate on film as well as it does in person. He sounded fantastic at all the shows I went to, but I can hear some glitches here and there in his voice on the DVD. Nothing severe. I keep forgetting the man is, like, 60.

I love Kristen's cover shot. He looks like 40 in that picture. lol!

Well, I absolutely love Lindsey's voice on the doc and will prob burn audio for my listening pleasure. I will also add that I was rather hoping for some footage of the actual 'making' of UTS - editing...splicing...layering tracks...all those madscientist details I am a freak for. ohwell.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just wanted to add that I picked up the CD/DVD set and really like it. Glad to have a DVD memory of this tour. It's been awhile... and where is that other album?

Couldn't help but notice the editing errors when Lindsey was playing an acoustic.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Received it and just watched the doc, so some thoughts.

Concert: Definitely will get extra play over here again, good audio overall. Can't beat the Philly boot though.

Doc: Highlights (apart from the ones we had already seen) were indeed the different version of CAD and the small guitar instrumental at the end (with the SUD chord structure, I think). The other guitar doodles with Surrender The Rain type speeches on top aren't much to write home about, honestly.

I didn't find the editing and the shaky footage annoying myself. Biggest gripes so far are the overall seriousness (surprise) and his phone conversations. Seriously, this is the 21st century and by now artists are taking back the control that the record industry used to have. So do something or shut up about it!

Packaging: Looks nice otherwise, but the booklet's a bit too thin. Should've made a bigger one or printed all the info on the case itself.

Thank you Lindsey, but you should really put the next album out soon!

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing this doc! Should be any day now.

BTFLCHLD, what exactly are the audio issues you were talking about?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
BTFLCHLD, what exactly are the audio issues you were talking about?
um don't make me sorry I even mentioned it!

If I recall correctly, on the boot there are one or two of the later songs where there is a severe drop in the level of volume...forcing an adjustment if you want to hear properly. Then again, my ears may just be hyper-sensi.

FYI on edit - that KISS! on the end must be habit...

Last edited by BTFLCHLD; 04-02-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: :o
Old 04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Well that's what I thought when I first saw the music videos. But then I figured that Warner Bros. didn't give him any money to work with, so he was just a man, doing what he can.

The documentary is done the same way as those videos, using the same footage over and over again to simulate continued action. It gets old. One part that I really like is when it looks like he is driving home and the ghost image of his childhood home is superimposed over the tree-lined route to his house in the present day and that sort of gets to me.

Makes me wonder why he didn't throw Flying Down Juniper into the documentary!

Michele
Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It isn't that I didn't enjoy the home-made quality of the doc. Actually, that's what appeals to me- but I would have preferred more footage of Lindsey working on the album, editing, recording, etc. instead of so many cuts of grass/ground shots. But it's a minor complaint. I'm honestly happy with the overall quality of this release and if Lindsey wanted to make another one with shots of the wall, his bathroom, potholes...I'd probably love that as well. As long as he has his music in it, I'm set.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

BTW, the DVD supports regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 - if regions are a problem to anyone in this day and age that is!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
BTW, the DVD supports regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 - if regions are a problem to anyone in this day and age that is!
FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS!

I put this disc on my Netflix queue. It says it will be a long wait, but I intend to watch it carefully & write a lengthy "review" of it for the Ledge, eschewing circumlocution, periphrasis & my inveterate penchant for sesquipedality.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
eschewing circumlocution, periphrasis & my inveterate penchant for sesquipedality.
Oh David. You puzzle me.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS! FACE OF GLASS!
What do you think about Robert Fink's theory that Americans are particularly fond of minimalism because it sounds exactly like their lives - the repetition of the media with its commercialized messages is actually a soothing process just like Terry Riley pounding away on a Hohner pianet in a performance of In C?

In any case, what I'm about to say will be familiar to you and make you feel comfortable: GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER! GET DVD DECRYPTER!