Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Break Down of Kiln House

I don't own this one so I'll just let you all start.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great-Station Man
Good-Blood On The Floor, Hi Ho Silver, Jewel Eyed Judy, Earl Gray, One Together, Tell Me All The Things You Do, Mission Bell
OK-This Is The Rock, Buddy's Song
Old 08-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Great: Hi Ho Silver, Earl Gray, Mission Bell
Good: This is the Rock, Station Man, Jewel Eyed Judy, Buddy's Song, Tell Me All the Things You Do
OK: One Together, Blood on the Floor

-Lis
Old 08-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Simply The Best: Jewel Eyed Judy

Great/Good: Station Man, Earl Gray, One Together, Mission Bell

Ok I guess: This Is The Rock, Hi Ho Silver, Buddy's Song, Tell Me All The Things You Do

Awful: Blood On The Floor
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Simply The Best: Jeremy Spencer shines!

Great: One Together, Mission Bell, Station Man, This Is The Rock, Jewel Eyed Judy

Good: Buddy's Song, Earl Gray, Tell Me All The Things You Do, Hi Ho Silver

Ok: Blood On The Floor (a parody-of-sorts in song, not bad either, with typical Spencer staging)

The whole album is solid :: no really weak tracks IMO

Of Note: Kirwan & Spencer's guitar magic, with some sweet backing vocals from Christie McVie

Last edited by snoot; 12-08-2008 at 11:14 PM..
Old 12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great: Station Man, Hi Ho Silver, Jewel-Eyed Judy, Buddy's Song, and Tell Men All the Things You Do

Good: This is the Rock, Earl Grey, One Together, Mission Bell

Passable: Blood on the Floor

Kiln House is one of those rare, earhty classics without any pretention or glitz. It's as authentic as anything on the Stones' Exile on Main Street--perhas more so, since FM weren't trying to be rootsy. They were just being themselves. All of the songs are catchy and played with an earnest charm so far removed from the Tango years you'd think it was not only a different band but a different century.

Incidentally, I love the BBC-live versions of Hi-Ho Silver (Honey Hush) and Buddy's Song. I also love the live versions of Station Man on Madison Blues, especially the second one, where Danny rips the **** out of the guitar solo.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great: This is the Rock, Station Man, Hi Ho Silver, Jewel-Eyed Judy, Buddy's Song, and Tell Me All the Things You Do

Good: Blood on the Floor, Earl Grey, One Together, Mission Bell

"Mission Bell" has grown on me over the years...I used to dislike it immensely, but then I heard the original '50s hit again...Fleetwood Mac does it much better; even though it's more than faithful to the original. I left "Earl Grey" in the "GOOD" section...it's far & away not the quality FMac instrumental like other both earlier AND later Kirwan instrumentals; but, it is an improvement over its earlier incarnation under the title "Farewell" on the Vaudeville Years set.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

aleuzzi: Kiln House is one of those rare, earthy classics without any pretention or glitz. All of the songs are catchy and played with an earnest charm so far removed from the Tango years you'd think it was not only a different band but a different century.

On the head! Refreshing, with a slight 50s-retro, country-tinged feel to it. You can also swing most of the GOOD songs to GREAT depending on your mood or time of day. I also like your "live" comments.

chiliD: "Mission Bell" has grown on me over the years...I used to dislike it immensely, but then I heard the original '50s hit again...Fleetwood Mac does it much better.

Funny you mention that. I remember going through a similar transformation, of not fully appreciating its charms initially (but that was a few decades back lol). But boy did that change as time went on. John carries that song with his gorgeous bass line, accented by taps and chimes. Jeremy's vocals are spot on, with Christy's additional backing sending it further skyward (including the opening refrain of "Say You Love Me" - how fitting). And then it ends! [the greatest gems always are short and sweet, you know]

Earl Gray - Danny continuing the tradition first set by PG with Albatross, Fleetwood Mac, Underway, etc., the instrumental interlude or closer. The tradition rolled on in Kirwan's My Dream and Sunny Side Of Heaven, then Welch's arpeggio laden Safe Harbor and spacey "semi" Coming Home. And lastly, Weston's ethereal Caught In The Rain from the Penguin project.

Hank Marvin & the Shadows' "Midnight" anyone?

Last edited by snoot; 12-12-2008 at 11:30 PM..
Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ps

And lest someone call me on it, how could I overlook "World In Harmony", the only track ever to receive a "Kirwan, Green" joint songwriting credit (though it sounds a tad more K than G to these ears).
Old 12-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Great: This is the Rock, Station Man, Hi Ho Silver, Jewel-Eyed Judy, Buddy's Song, and Tell Me All the Things You Do

Good: Blood on the Floor, Earl Grey, One Together, Mission Bell

"Mission Bell" has grown on me over the years...I used to dislike it immensely, but then I heard the original '50s hit again...Fleetwood Mac does it much better;
What I like about Mission Bell is the first 15-20 seconds. With Christine McVie singing back-up, it sounds like a Marty Balin/Grace Slick Jefferson Airplane song. That's what Kirwan brought to FM, his pop sensibilities.

I let a friend borrow Kiln House who happens to like the Green/Kirwan era. I was trying to point out that there was life after Green's departure. When he heard Tell Me All the Things You Do, he thought the song was incomplete. I think he has a point, it's just a verse without a chorus or bridge. I already knew that, yet I still love the song.

Last edited by slipkid; 12-13-2008 at 12:56 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
And lest someone call me on it, how could I overlook "World In Harmony", the only track ever to receive a "Kirwan, Green" joint songwriting credit (though it sounds a tad more K than G to these ears).
It was the B-side to "The Green Manalishi". You're right that it's more Kirwan than Green, Kirwan had the original idea.

My greats and goods:

Great: Station Man, Jewel Eyed Judy, Earl Grey, This is the Rock, Hi-Ho Silver, Tell Me All the Things You Do

Good: Blood on the Floor, Mission Bell (after the intro), One Together, Buddy's Song (I'd rather have Linda on this album)

Call me crazy but, I think Jewel Eyed Judy had an influence on Freddie Mercury and Brian May. Along with The Green Manalishi, I think both future members of Queen were listening to this period of FM. Kirwan's use of dynamics in the chorus of Jewel Eyed Judy is what Queen borrowed in later years. DK took Green's solo approach as a guitarist, and applied it to songwriting.

Last edited by slipkid; 12-13-2008 at 12:41 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Kiln House...such a transitory album - and the first to feature Christine - as a sessions player! I have a friend in her 50's . When she found out I was a Fleetwood Mac fan, she immediately mentioned the Kiln House album. She is just a passing fan, but she said that album was very popular among her friends when it came out. (I burned her a copy. ) She was really sentimental about it (Sentimental Lady... but that's another album). It was such an out-of-left-field moment.
I love that the Rumours era band early on covered Station Man & Tell Me All The Things They Do. They certainly BuckinghamNicksed them.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-13-2008 at 01:25 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
[Mission Bell] With Christine McVie singing back-up, it sounds like a Marty Balin/Grace Slick Jefferson Airplane song.
Marty Balin/Grace Slick <=> Jeremy Spencer/Christie McVie might be even more apropos me thinks.
Don't forget David LaFlamme/Pattie Santos, another dynamite duo from the city by the bay.

When he heard Tell Me All the Things You Do, he thought the song was incomplete. I think he has a point, it's just a verse without a chorus or bridge. I already knew that, yet I still love the song.

Same here. Hot guitar licks, nice pump, but the song is only a B compositionally. That's why I rated it as Good only. Earl Gray was toughest for me. That could go on either side of the fence, in fact it really should be Great but for its melancholy aura.

It was the B-side to "The Green Manalishi". You're right that it's more Kirwan than Green, Kirwan had the original idea.

Ah good to know. Peter probably rounded it out a bit.

Call me crazy but, I think Jewel Eyed Judy had an influence on Freddie Mercury and Brian May.

Interesting notion. Brian had such a unique guitar tone and style, and of course Freddie with his theatrical pop embrace... I can see shades of what you're getting at. Call it the intersection where May meets McCartney = *Kirwan Boulevard* lol

Hey slipkid, consider revisiting the 'Interesting Read' thread and tossing in your 2 cents on the question I left there at the end re the Welch+Weston duo. I'd be interested in your take on MTM, and why so many blues purists - bless their pointed little heads - are such snobs when it comes to giving "Welch love." Make sure you put a good ear to MTM before casting your pearls.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I love Kiln House...such a transitory album - and the first to feature Christine - as a sessions player!
Hey PenguinHead, you can't post to a thread like this one without playin' the ranking game. You know the rules.

But more importantly, inquiring minds would love to know.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I love Kiln House...such a transitory album - and the first to feature Christine - as a sessions player!
CORRECTION: Christine's first Fleetwood Mac album as a session player was Mr. Wonderful. In fact, to date, the only Fleetwood Mac albums she's not on are Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and Blues Jam Session At Chess/Fleetwood Mac In Chicago.

THE Stephen Hopkins