Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Didn't Mick do a graveyard~horror movie themed video for The Zoo's
I WANT YOU BACK?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come to think of it, the initial drums sound like the drums on Stand Back and they continue through most of the song. I do like this song though. In fact, I used to think his line:

I turn around when you walk by
You'e just the kind of thing to catch my eye
I come up fast, I go down slow
So tell me darlin? Do you want to go

was a response to "no one looked as I walked by - just an invitation would have been just fine . . . . "

Who knows though.

I also often wonder if the lines:

The nighttime filled with the cold winter chill
The rain is music on my window sill

refer to rain from his rain room.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Starring Mick's (now deceased) sister, Susan Fleetwood, trained at the RADA & respected classical & contemporary stage actress. I was just watching a British Austen adaptation (PERSUASION) the other day from the 1990s, & Susan was in it, playing Lady Russell with a calm center & an empathetic attachment to the protagonist. It was her final role.

I look forward to seeing Fleetwood as the suffering, stoic wife in the Billington adaptation of Ford Madox Ford's THE GOOD SOLDIER, made in the early 1980s. The novel is absolutely central to the cauldron of literary modernism, & has long been one of my three or four favorite novels of the 20th century.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Come to think of it, the initial drums sound like the drums on Stand Back and they continue through most of the song.
They probably used the same Linn LM-1 drum machine.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
To me, the Slow Dancing video was just a little too silly and frivolous. I liked the song's sensual side and would have preferred a more somber video. Although, judging from the Big Love clinch, Lindsey would portray sensuality a little awkwardly on camera, so maybe it's just as well.

Also, I don't mind seeing Lindsey depicted as a sort of vampire. I like vampires.

Michele

I loved the ghostly gothicy idea but all the ghosts apart from the lady should have been left out.

As for Vampire Lindsey ... mmh.... yum.

PS: The very first thread I posted to on the Ledge was about Slow Dancing! *reminiscing*
Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Come to think of it, the initial drums sound like the drums on Stand Back and they continue through most of the song. I do like this song though. In fact, I used to think his line:

was a response to "no one looked as I walked by - just an invitation would have been just fine . . . . "

Who knows though.
Oooh, I like that.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Who knows though.

I also often wonder if the lines:

The nighttime filled with the cold winter chill
The rain is music on my window sill

refer to rain from his rain room.
I love spotting patterns in their songs, as if they're answering each other. Even if they're probably not...!
Interesting point, though.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
I love spotting patterns in their songs, as if they're answering each other. Even if they're probably not...!
Interesting point, though.

Me too. And I like themes in their own songs, even if Lindsey doesn't realize he is using "faces of glass" again.

My favorite is Lindsey's DLMDA, "there's one thing I'd like you to know. I've got no more to lose if you go."

Which is converted to SHN: "One thing I think you should know, I ain't gonna miss you when you go."

Michele
Old 04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christian Science Monitor, December 4, 1984

Review by: David Hugh Smith

Lindsey Buckingham: ''Go Insane.'' (Elektra/Asylum 60363-1) - Lindsey Buckingham's ''Go Insane'' is by far the most imaginative and musically innovative solo effort in the past couple years by a Fleetwood Mac-er. While this music certainly doesn't have the warm, comfortable feeling Christine McVie gave us on her fine LP from earlier this year, Buckingham has shown here a genius for experimentation that's still well within the pop idiom. Among the most striking cuts is ''Play in the Rain.'' Using repetition, water noises, and other sounds, along with his own voice - filled at times with self-pity - the result is a highly evocative song of loneliness. All this isn't to say Buckingham has jettisoned pop melodies. The romantic, fast-tempoed ''Slow Dancing,'' for instance, packs an acceptable pop tune. It then fades out with a few moments of dreamy acoustic guitar which, for an instant, brings into sharp focus the central themes of longing and unhappiness. Buckingham's versatility (he did almost all the instrumentals) is clearly seen in the different shapes his voice takes - now husky with excitement, now soft with sorrow, now blended electronically into a cheerful chorus.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

People Magazine Review, October 1, 1984

By: David Hiltbrand

BODY:
Buckingham -- along with his former girlfriend, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie -- provided the composing talent that boosted Fleetwood Mac to such overwhelming success in the '70s. Go Insane, Lindsey's second solo album, is a manifesto of his intent to remain a rock 'n' roll force, even while the group itself seems to be a tabled proposition. The record is studded with power pop gems such as the title cut and I Want You, as well as Slow Dancing and Loving Cup. All of these continue in the tradition of songs that sold 35 million Fleetwood Mac albums after Buckingham joined the group in 1974. (Kind of makes you wonder why Mick Fleetwood has filed for bankruptcy.) Lindsey flies off the handle of mainstream appeal with D.W. Suite, a seven-minute eulogy for Dennis Wilson that mixes Beach Boys-influenced harmonies with elements of prayer and traditional Irish music. There is also Play in the Rain, which closes out one side and continues as the opening cut on the other. An off-the-wall composition, it begins with high-tech surrealism before hitting a funk groove tinged with Indian sitar sounds. Those are, however, the only indications that Buckingham is indeed going off his commercial rocker. (Elektra/Asylum)