User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac Musical

I was always a big ABBA fan - namely of Benny Andersson, the pianist and the main music writer. He of course also wrote the musical CHESS (with Bjorn Ulvaeus and Tim Rice on lyrics) and some classical style Swedish folk musical opera thing called Anna Karenina or something (not that I guess!).

Anyway I was not surprised when they turned the formidable ABBA ourve into a musical. Mamma Mia! It's in Brisbane at the moment. It's touring thru the US atm isn't it? A very successful venture nonetheless.

Now Ben Elton has strung together the hits of Queen into musical form a'la the Mamma Mia! musical.

SO.... A MUSICAL featuring the MUSIC of FLEETWOOD MAC !!!!

What's your opinion? Reaction?- "He's crazy!" or "Great idea!"?
I've already thought and plotted a lot about it, but what i really want is to oopen up discussion with you guys. I think this is a viable topic.

BTW just to clarify, if you're wondering where I'm coming from (but it may not be your idea of a Mac Musical) I maintain the following precepts:

- story comes first (it has to if it is to endure and be taken seriously, which it should be IMHO)
- no 'Rumours' album songs heh heh. That's just my idea. Maybe some of you might see where I'm coming from. Mind you I've found that YMLF still deserves a place. Plus an encore of GYOW and Don't Stop with only semi-characterization and possible audience boogie-ing in the aisles
- my song list (about 23) includes two Peter Green songs, but the rest is Rumours lineup.
- rock-orchestrated rearrangements of the songs, not just replication of the songs that you can get by pressing play on the CD player. I'm thinking Webber's Phantom/JC Superstar/Joseph.
- inventive theatrical innovations, especially to somehow get drum sounds through the whole theatre. Perhaps drums located around the place, or slightly vibrating floor Especially for Sara
oh and, er...copyright this idea!:s:S:S
Old 08-15-2002, 02:17 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks Adam ... so I'm not completely crazy

Yes I see the best thing as an original love story.
HOWEVER, the story I thought worked best is basically that which asks - what if one of Buckingham Nicks had decided not to run off to California and pursue their dreams, and instead stayed on to complete their uni degrees, or been forced to by their family? Then years later they meet up...

Sort of Grease crossed with Phantom of the Opera :s:S
Old 08-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi!

Im an ABBA fan too! I went to the Mamma Mia premiere in NY last October!

I want to go to the premiere in Las Vegas too LOL!

Anyway, they could surely do a musical/play on the album Rumours and Rusk together. Those two seem to go together...love lost/gettingover it.

Good idea!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:47 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.