The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Those on the fence for setlist reasons: what’s your minimum requirements?

I know i may come across as mildly excited about this shake up, and in my mind this is no different then every other line up change. But that’s only if it’s done the right way. The more I think about it, the less likely I feel it will be the reality, but stranger things have already happened so I’m not giving up.

If this tour is marketed as a full 50 plus year career retrospective tour (farewell or otherwise, although personally I hope it’s farewell) then this line up works for me. it’s like the concert we’ve talked about many times throughout the years on this board of an all 16 (or at least most of them) member concert. This could be a compromise. I hope Neil Finn primarily is used as a voice to sing peter and bob songs. Lindsey songs should be kept to the bare minimum, since he is still active and Bob/Peter aren’t. Go Your Own Way only. None of those signature uniquely Lindsey songs (Tusk, in fact no tusk songs at all, so afraid, big love) go your own way has always been more about Mick and ajohn to me anyway. It’s just a generic break up song compared to the vast majority of Lindsey’s career. So go your own way should be the sole Lindsey song as a nod to him, but let the man himself handle performing the majority of those songs one his solo tour this year.

I hope if the set is 25 songs long
it looks something like this:

At least 8 songs from pre 1975 (and at least 2 of those from Christine) ebony eyes would qualify for this category.

No more then 1 Neil Finn song

No more then 3 Tom Petty Related songs (sang by Stevie or Neil) this included SDMHA

At least 2 stevie/Christine alone on stage performances

- 1 “new” song a piece from stevie and Christine. Christine plays one of her 5 buckvie songs and stevie a song from In Your Dreams. I think that could tie into the above scenerio. I feel a Christine/stevie only version of Moonlight would steal the show and have even I’d say at least half of the biggest critics of this tour change their minds after witnessing that done right.

- 2 “demo/outtake” versions of songs done. With all the reissues lately,
Pretty much every song has at least 2 officially released versions out there. This could also be a big crossover category since there are many good stevie piano only demos. #1 on the wishlist is the piano demo version of planets of the universe. But even more enticing would be Smile At You done Mirage outtake style.

Or and this is a lot of set space to devote to one song, but I would commit to buying a ticket at any price now if they did:

the Chain Stevie Demo
Keep Me There Christine outtake
the Chain normal version
Not doing the mcvie bass solo, guitar solo twice, just during the Chain.

No Stand Back! This is forgivable if the rest of the set is great, but this the Last solo song i think should be played. First off, musically I think this new band should not be wasted on Stand Back. They should do one her many heartbreaker connected songs. SDMHA is an obvious choice but even Outside the Rain features MC in the original version and features those Dreams drums. The OTR/Dreams combo comes and goes so much now that I wouldn’t hate hearing that transition with Mick at the drums finally.

I have a lot of really specific yet vague broad requests tha can go a lot of different ways and make me happy or unhappy but there are probably 5 specific songs that I want to see enough that any one of their appearance in the set would get me to buy a ticket. They are:

1. Smile At You- close to one of the mirage outtakes style
2. The full chain experience mentioned above
3. Green Manalishi- with stevie giving some kind of wail at the end.
4. Any song that is actually brand new. Slated to go on this new line ups upcoming album.
5. Moonlight as a duet with Christine as Stevie’s solo contribution

So basically what would make me join the haters about this tour and sit this out would be if in this same 25 song setlist scenerio it breaks down more like this:

20 standard hits/concert staples

Neil Finns voice is used primarily to do Lindsey’s parts on songs and the set is still filled with SHN, Monday Morning, NGBA (a song that I now realize is right up neil Finns alley, finally hearing some of his stuff) And he only does
Oh Well from before 1975.

The Deep cuts done are anything done since The Dance:

So Storms and Beautiful Child won’t cut it for me As the depth of theses cuts I’m all for hearing at least one of these in the set, especially as a closer instead of Silver Springs, but it’s not worth cutting lindsey and that being the only pay off. These deep cuts must be more plentiful then 5, cover multiple eras of the band, and I want some creative arrangements done. And repeated from above any song that somehow indicates they’ve been considering making an album forgives all the other rules.

He Will Burn You Down

Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-22-2018 at 09:31 PM..
Old 04-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I know i may come across as mildly excited about this shake up, and in my mind this is no different then every other line up change. But that’s only if it’s done the right way. The more I think about it, the less likely I feel it will be the reality, but stranger things have already happened so I’m not giving up.

If this tour is marketed as a full 50 plus year career retrospective tour (farewell or otherwise, although personally I hope it’s farewell) then this line up works for me. it’s like the concert we’ve talked about many times throughout the years on this board of an all 16 (or at least most of them) member concert. This could be a compromise. I hope Neil Finn primarily is used as a voice to sing peter and bob songs. Lindsey songs should be kept to the bare minimum, since he is still active and Bob/Peter aren’t. Go Your Own Way only. None of those signature uniquely Lindsey songs (Tusk, in fact no tusk songs at all, so afraid, big love) go your own way has always been more about Mick and ajohn to me anyway. It’s just a generic break up song compared to the vast majority of Lindsey’s career. So go your own way should be the sole Lindsey song as a nod to him, but let the man himself handle performing the majority of those songs one his solo tour this year.

I hope if the set is 25 songs long
it looks something like this:

At least 8 songs from pre 1975 (and at least 2 of those from Christine) ebony eyes would qualify for this category.

No more then 1 Neil Finn song

No more then 3 Tom Petty Related songs (sang by Stevie or Neil) this included SDMHA

At least 2 stevie/Christine alone on stage performances

- 1 “new” song a piece from stevie and Christine. Christine plays one of her 5 buckvie songs and stevie a song from In Your Dreams. I think that could tie into the above scenerio. I feel a Christine/stevie only version of Moonlight would steal the show and have even I’d say at least half of the biggest critics of this tour change their minds after witnessing that done right.

- 2 “demo/outtake” versions of songs done. With all the reissues lately,
Pretty much every song has at least 2 officially released versions out there. This could also be a big crossover category since there are many good stevie piano only demos. #1 on the wishlist is the piano demo version of planets of the universe. But even more enticing would be Smile At You done Mirage outtake style.

Or and this is a lot of set space to devote to one song, but I would commit to buying a ticket at any price now if they did:

the Chain Stevie Demo
Keep Me There Christine outtake
the Chain normal version
Not doing the mcvie bass solo, guitar solo twice, just during the Chain.

No Stand Back! This is forgivable if the rest of the set is great, but this the Last solo song i think should be played. First off, musically I think this new band should not be wasted on Stand Back. They should do one her many heartbreaker connected songs. SDMHA is an obvious choice but even Outside the Rain features MC in the original version and features those Dreams drums. The OTR/Dreams combo comes and goes so much now that I wouldn’t hate hearing that transition with Mick at the drums finally.

I have a lot of really specific yet vague broad requests tha can go a lot of different ways and make me happy or unhappy but there are probably 5 specific songs that I want to see enough that any one of their appearance in the set would get me to buy a ticket. They are:

1. Smile At You- close to one of the mirage outtakes style
2. The full chain experience mentioned above
3. Green Manalishi- with stevie giving some kind of wail at the end.
4. Any song that is actually brand new. Slated to go on this new line ups upcoming album.
5. Moonlight as a duet with Christine as Stevie’s solo contribution

So basically what would make me join the haters about this tour and sit this out would be if in this same 25 song setlist scenerio it breaks down more like this:

20 standard hits/concert staples

Neil Finns voice is used primarily to do Lindsey’s parts on songs and the set is still filled with SHN, Monday Morning, NGBA (a song that I now realize is right up neil Finns alley, finally hearing some of his stuff) And he only does
Oh Well from before 1975.

The Deep cuts done are anything done since The Dance:

So Storms and Beautiful Child won’t cut it for me As the depth of theses cuts I’m all for hearing at least one of these in the set, especially as a closer instead of Silver Springs, but it’s not worth cutting lindsey and that being the only pay off. These deep cuts must be more plentiful then 5, cover multiple eras of the band, and I want some creative arrangements done. And repeated from above any song that somehow indicates they’ve been considering making an album forgives all the other rules.
I compiled a joke setlist in a previous thread (and no one noticed, or no one cared, lol). A setlist that guarantees my ticket purchase would look something like this:

1. The Chain
2. Green Manalishi
3. Save Me
4. Gold Dust Woman
5. Black Magic Woman
6. As Long As You Follow
7. I Loved Another Woman
8. Say You Love Me
9. Smile At You
10. Love Is Dangerous
11. You Make Loving Fun
12. Bright Fire
13. Hold Me
14. Freedom
15. Hyonotized
16. Spare Me A Little
17. Straight Back
18. Station Man
19. I Need To Know
20. Don't Stop

Encore 1
21. Albatross
22. Oh Well
23. Dreams

Encore 2:
24. Tango In The Night (Neil/Stevie vocal)
25. Songbird

Last edited by HoursAndHours; 04-22-2018 at 10:42 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Nothing from Behind the Mask will be played
Nothing from Say You Will will be played
No Lindsey songs will be played (Lindsey singing parts Chain, etc will be sung)
No Bob Welch songs will be played (good grief Bob sued them and the band did not acknowledge him in his last 10 years on earth)

What I expect is 2 pre-Nicks songs to be played
Possible one Heartbreaker song
Stevie solo song
Possible Crowded House song

This tour will crank out the hits more than ever. Since Lindsey songs are gone, the band will rely on Rumours songs. Expect Oh Daddy back in the set. A surprise could be Love in Store. The band will not try to replicate Lindsey. If they wanted to play Behind the Mask, they would have hired Rick and Billy.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-23-2018 at 07:33 AM..
Old 04-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd put a substantial amount of money on you being totally incorrect, Macfan4life. Songs from Behind the Mask, Say You Will, and even Lindsey songs will absolutely be played. This will be a career retrospective and will be far more interesting than anything they've ever done. I Can't Wait! (maybe they'll even play that, lol).

In fact, since this is a wishlist thread, here's a slightly revised setlist, because I always wanted to hear Stevie do this song by Bekka:

1. The Chain
2. Green Manalishi
3. Save Me
4. Gold Dust Woman
5. Black Magic Woman
6. As Long As You Follow
7. I Loved Another Woman
8. Say You Love Me
9. Smile At You
10. Love Is Dangerous
11. You Make Loving Fun
12. Bright Fire
13. Hold Me
14. Freedom
15. Hyonotized
16. Spare Me A Little
17. Straight Back
18. Station Man
19. Winds Of Change (Stevie vocal)
20. Don't Stop

Encore 1
21. Tango In The Night (Neil/Stevie vocal)
22. Oh Well
23. Dreams

Encore 2:
24. Albatross
25. Songbird

Last edited by HoursAndHours; 04-23-2018 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary asterisk
Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
I'd put a substantial amount of money on you being totally incorrect, Macfan4life. Songs from Behind the Mask, Say You Will, and even Lindsey songs will absolutely be played. This will be a career retrospective and will be far more interesting than anything they've ever done. I Can't Wait! (maybe they'll even play that, lol).
I will eat my shoe on Facebook Live if anything from Behind the Mask or Say You Will is played. Those songs are more foreign to the masses than Oh Well or other classic Mac songs. Those albums were not considered commercially successful. I love Street Angel but I know not to expect any songs from the album on Stevie's solo tours.
The band is not going to dig deep into unknown albums. What next? Something from Time?

If Christine plays Nights in Estoril (Time) I will definitely buy a ticket.
Ain't gonna happen
Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Ledgie

Well I'm not on the fence as far as going. I could find out they're playing YMLF, Rhiannon, SYLM and Landslide on repeat for two hours and I'd still go, but there are some things I'd really like to hear.

As much as I hope for a shake up, I expect probably a good 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the set will be the songs that they think are *must plays* for the casual Mac/Classic Rock fans. It's the remainder of the set where I hope things get more interesting. I expect some pre-BN era stuff, maybe Oh Well and Station Man (and I'd love Why, but am not holding my breath). Then maybe some more "rare" gems from Stevie and Christine; my dream set would have these be As Long and You Follow, That's Alright/Straight Back and maybe a return of Think About Me and Angel. I expect maybe they'll include something from the new guys, like Don't Dream It's Over and something from the Heartbreakers (You Need to Know), related to the Heartbreakers (Stop Draggin') or in tribute to Tom (Free Fallin'). If it's Stop Draggin'..., maybe no Stand Back (I expect one Stevie solo song).

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they go way out of the box and adventurous with the set list...in the meantime, it's fun to think of the possibilities.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post

In fact, since this is a wishlist thread, here's a slightly revised setlist, because I always wanted to hear Stevie do this song by Bekka:

1. The Chain
2. Green Manalishi
3. Save Me
4. Gold Dust Woman
5. Black Magic Woman
6. As Long As You Follow
7. I Loved Another Woman
8. Say You Love Me
9. Smile At You
10. Love Is Dangerous
11. You Make Loving Fun
12. Bright Fire
13. Hold Me
14. Freedom*
15. Hyonotized
16. Spare Me A Little
17. Straight Back
18. Station Man
19. Winds Of Change (Stevie vocal)
20. Don't Stop

Encore 1
21. Tango In The Night (Neil/Stevie vocal)
22. Oh Well
23. Dreams

Encore 2:
24. Albatross
25. Songbird

(In a southern US drawl)

Merle, you son of a bitch you promised me Fleetwoo' Mac. This ain' no Fleetwoo' Mac. Whachya gonna do 'bout it Merle?
Don'tcha worry Patty Mae. We're gonna sue that goddamn Mick Fleetwoo's ass off honey-bunny.

(no offence intended y'all).

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I will eat my shoe on Facebook Live if anything from Behind the Mask or Say You Will is played. Those songs are more foreign to the masses than Oh Well or other classic Mac songs. Those albums were not considered commercially successful. I love Street Angel but I know not to expect any songs from the album on Stevie's solo tours.
The band is not going to dig deep into unknown albums. What next? Something from Time?

Ain't gonna happen
My wishlist was amended to include a song from Time.

I almost included Nights in Estoril too, but figured Spare Me a Little was more likely. I'd take Why or Behind The Mask or just about any other deep cut from Chris.

I'm just not interested in the same old setlist. I intend to stick to my assessment on this until an actual setlist proves me wrong. I won't eat my shoe if that happens, though, I just won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by HoursAndHours; 04-23-2018 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Estoril =/= Estonia, lol.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

Ain't gonna happen
I don't know, Macfan4life... FM Greatest Hits is the 2nd best selling FM ever, so As Long As You Follow is probably more familiar to the casual FM fan than you think. And Save Me was their last top 40 hit and it did get a lot of airplay on MTV and VH1, so again, it's probably more familiar to casual fans than Why or Come a Little Bit Closer or even Oh Well.

Hey, I know it's a real long shot, anything's possible!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie mentioned a couple of songs in the Rolling Stone interview, including Oh Well, Rattlesnake Shake, and Station Man. And in the CBS interview, they were seen rehearsing The Chain.

*sigh*

For me, I really don't want to hear a lot of blues songs. That's a different genre. I mean, it's one thing to do a brief homage to their roots, but performing Oh Well, Another Woman, Black Magic Woman, Rattlesnake Shake, and possibly others, has me concerned. Plus, from what others have said, it sounds like Neil's voice would be better served singing songs by Bob Welch or Lindsey.

If they do perform earlier songs, I hope they stick to the well-known ones, like Black Magic Woman, Oh Well, Sentimental Lady, and Hypnotized. If Neil sang those, along with Don't Dream It's Over, Crystal, Blue Letter, Go Your Own Way, and sang on I Don't Want to Know, World Turning, the Chain, Don't Stop, and Hold Me, that seems like a decent mix of old and new, hits and deep tracks.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It just occured to me, maybe Stevie and Neil will sing Whenever I Call You Friend. I kind of think they would be smart to include as many songs as possible that have more than one singer.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Say You Love Me
  2. The Chain
  3. Dreams
  4. You Make Loving Fun
  5. Gypsy
  6. Everywhere
  7. Rhiannon
  8. The Green Manalishi/Oh Well (Mike)
  9. Too Far Gone (Buckingham McVie cover)
  10. Hold Me (Chris & Neil)
  11. Angel
  12. Don't Dream It's Over or Distant Sun (Neil, Crowded House cover)
  13. Gold Dust Woman
  14. Little Lies
  15. Stand Back
  16. Go Your Own Way (Neil)

Encore:
  17. World Turning (Chris & Mike)
  18. Don't Stop (Chris & Neil)
  19. Landslide
  20. Songbird
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as I really want to boycott by not attending, I'll probably break down and go. Fleetwood Mac's music is part of the fabric of my life. I have NEVER missed a tour since 1977, including the train wreck of the Behind The Mask/Time Tours. So, I'm sure I'll bite the bullet.

That being said, it's amusing to me that some people are speculating that the band will play tunes like "Freedom" and "Save Me" from that era. Uh, yeah, that's NOT going to happen. What we ARE likely to see is the same greatest hits set list with a few Pre-1975 songs thrown in. Neil will sing Lindsey's parts on "World Turning" and "Don't Stop". If they're really brave, they'll attempt "Go Your Own Way" with Neil and hope that no one throws tomatoes out of ironic anger. Oh, the irony!

The band will plow through "Oh Well" and another blues number like "Black Magic Woman. "Station Man" might make the final cut. I'm sorry, but this band has NO BUSINESS playing Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over". That would be a blasphemous lounge act, at best. Also, expect that bland overplayed disco number "Stand Back" to make a dreaded return to the set list.

What WILL be a true gem for me is to hear Christine play "Spare Me A Little of Your Love" and "Why". If they stand ANY chance at pleasing the true fans, I would suggesting pulling out one of these Pre-75 songs. Sharon Celani and the other "background girl singer of Stevie's choice" would add great harmony vocals to both of these tunes.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
For me, I really don't want to hear a lot of blues songs. That's a different genre. I mean, it's one thing to do a brief homage to their roots, but performing Oh Well, Another Woman, Black Magic Woman, Rattlesnake Shake, and possibly others, has me concerned.
You only listed one blues song. The only reason I Loved Another Woman was brought out was because John thought Black Magic Woman had become too associated with Santana, and ILAW was kind of similar. But Oh Well and Rattlesnake Shake are boogie-rock songs, not blues songs, and even Black Magic Woman wasn’t exactly a pure blues song.

Quote:
Plus, from what others have said, it sounds like Neil's voice would be better served singing songs by Bob Welch or Lindsey.
He’s closest to Danny Kirwan by a mile. I don’t hear a shred of similarity to Bob. Stevie sounds more like Bob Welch.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
.That being said, it's amusing to me that some people are speculating that the band will play tunes like "Freedom" and "Save Me" from that era. Uh, yeah, that's NOT going to happen.
Totally agree on “Save Me,” but I could see “Freedom” if only because it’s a SN-MC song. It connects MC to the band’s catalogue.

THE Stephen Hopkins