Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's talk about Say You Will marking FM's legacy

Hi all,

The last studio album by Fleetwood Mac was Buckingham McVie. Oh, sorry, my mistake - it was Say You Will. Apart from a 17 minute EP they haven't released new music or even live recordings apart from Live in Boston (2003) since then.

So how does Say You Will stack up? Does it cement their legacy as a confessional songwriting team? An adult contemporary pop music powerhouse?

I'm going to give my opinion in answer to those questions, but only because I want to hear yours too.

Say You Will is my second favourite Fleetwood Mac album. Tusk is my favourite but I've heard it too much. I've listened to Say You Will many times, it is in heavy rotation on my car CD player currently. I think is a brilliant, creative, challenging album. I think the band, including Christine (for her keyboards and backing vocals on two songs) can be very proud of their efforts. John McVie's bass line on Smile at You is genius. All the band members produced great works of art. Nicks could have written more than four new songs but other than that I can't complain. I think Say You Will has stood the test of time. 14 years later it sounds incredible to me still with every listen, though I first heard it in 2012.

Extended Play was good too but it doesn't count as an album and SYW ****s all over it.

But here's a curly one: what's a better legacy, Buckingham McVie (If it had been say, On With the Show by Fleetwood Mac) or Say You Will?

I'm curious to hear your answers to that one for sure!