User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Hi everyone...a question

hello all!

my name is angie and i just wanted to introduce myself. i've been browsing around the ledge for a few weeks now and i'm finally able to post.
so this, my first post, is a question. you all seem so knowledgeable about everything fleetwood mac and i am sure someone will know the answer.
i downloaded a song with the title "just the wanting" from kazaa that lists stevie and lindsey as the artists. it is a duet and stevie's voice is definitely prominent throughout the song, but the male voice sounds nothing like lindsey. i'm almost positive it is not him. anyway, i was wondering if anyone knows the song i'm talking about and who the second voice is?

thanks from a new ledgie,
***angie

*Tolkien*
Old 07-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Welcome to the ledge!

Hi Angie,

That's a great song! You're right, it is called "Just the wanting" and it's by Walter Egan (Stevie is credited as "backing vocals" and Lindsey is credited as doing the solo). It's from Walter's 1978 album called "Not shy" (re-released on CD by Razor & Tie records). I highly recommend it. My favorite WE album and JTW is one of my favorite songs from the album as well! The general public remembers Walter as a "one hit wonder" with his song "Magnet and steel" (also on this album which reached #8 in the U.S. and he did a Q & A session here at The Penguin too (see the Q & A section of The Penguin website). If you do get this album, you may also recognize the Egan penned "Hot summer nights" which itself peaked at number 55 but charted at number 19 a year later when covered by a band called Night (fronted by ex-Manfred Mann's Earth Band lead vocalist Chris Thompson). If you need any other info, just let me (or anyone else here) know. I hope this was of some help to you and once again welcome to the ledgeboards!

John
Old 07-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Junior Ledgie

Smile

thanks so much for the info john
that really helps!

***angie

*Tolkien*
Old 07-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now, if we can just get some label to reissue the REST of Walter Egan's catalogue on CD, we'll be getting somewhere.

A bit MORE info to John's post, (hopefully 411 and not the overly "too much", 822), the Walter Egan album just prior to "Not Shy", titled "Fundamental Roll", also has many appearances by Lindsey & Stevie....in fact they're credited as co-producers.

Also, a bit more info on "Night" (originally named "Filthy McNasty"). In addition to Chris Thompson, Night's membership included:

Robbie McIntosh-guitar (ex-Pretenders, ex-Paul McCartney Band)
Nicky Hopkins-keyboards (session ace, played with Rolling Stones, a few ex-Beatles' solo albums, member of Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc, etc, etc)
Rick Marrotta-drums (session ace, toured with Linda Ronstadt in the 70's, his brother, Jerry, was Stevie's drummer on the "RAL" tour)
Bobby Kristian-bass
Stevie Lange-female vocals (a very soulful voice, not too unlike Bekka or Bonnie Bramlett)

With "guest appearances" by:
Steve Porcaro-synthesisers (Toto)
Michael McDonald-piano (Doobie Bros/Steely Dan)
Bobby LaKind-congas (Doobie Bros)

So, they were pretty much a "supergroup" without the "supergroup" media attention (and therefore, record sales)
Old 07-16-2002, 02:11 PM
Junior Ledgie

Talking ha ha ha...

822, i like that.
never too much fm related info!

***angie

*Tolkien*
Old 07-16-2002, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Welcome to The Ledge, Angie! Put your feet up, and make yourself at home! :-)

A question for John and chili.... was 'Fundamental Roll' *ever* available on CD? I have 'Not Shy,' but i'd love to track down 'Fundamental Roll' as well.
I love NS, and i love all the songs i've heard from FR (especially "Only The Lucky"), so I'd definitely like to get a hold of a copy.

Johnny Stew
Old 07-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not that I know of.

In fact, even "Walternative" that was available here at the Penguin just a couple of years ago is supposedly out-of-print now, too. According to the ArtistDirect website, only "Apocalypso Now", "The Lost Album" (aka "Mad Dog"), and "Not Shy" are available at all.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Ledgie

Cool LOL!

"Apocalypso Now..."
Old 07-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile JOHNNY STEW

I agree with Chili (in other words, I haven't heard of any such likelyhood either).

When "Hifi/Last stroll" was issued as a "2 on 1" CD about ten years ago in Germany, there were rumors that FR was also to be re-released on disc but I certainly never found a copy or I would've picked one up for sure too! Oh well, maybe now that Sony's merger is done and dusted (as far as I heard anyways) maybe it will turn up as a heftily priced Japanese import reissue if nothing else (but hopefully we can get it in a more domestic nature soon!)

John
Old 07-16-2002, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rick vs. Jerry

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Rick Marrotta-drums (session ace, toured with Linda Ronstadt in the 70's, his brother, Jerry, was Stevie's drummer on the "RAL" tour)
Actually, Rick was the Marotta who drummed for the RAL tour with Stevie. But I believe Jerry had some sort of connection to her, as well. Maybe one of our more intrepid Stevie Nicks fans can dig up the data? I think Jerry played on the album. Can someone verify?

The two guys look like identical twins. Check out: www.drummerworld.com/dpa46/rickjerry.jpg
Old 07-17-2002, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeez, ya see one drummer named Marotta, you've seen 'em both!

And, both the Marotta brothers look as though they share a bit of the same gene-pool with Lenny Castro, as well.

David, I'll take your word for it that Rick was the RAL drummer. I just looked up Jerry's discography...he played on Stevie's "The Other Side Of The Mirror" album (and, therefore, also is listed on "Timespace" & "Enchanted", as well)

So, there we have the answer to the trivia question:

Who played drums in between Russ Kunkel's two stints in Stevie's solo bands?

Last edited by chiliD; 07-17-2002 at 02:20 AM..