User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
AGAIN with that danmed reissue bull****. I refuse to believe that even exists until we get some further developments. I'm really pumped for that too. Whats the danmed hold up.
That's what I'd like to know.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Any news??? How did the show go? Did it happen?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It happened alright.... Silver Springs was dropped! Show ended with the one normal encore. Last song Don't Stop.

Aside from that - the show looked and sounded pretty normal to me based on what I've seen and heard online. Sounds way better in person mind you and as good as some of these boots of the tour sound, they don't fully capture it. You have to experience it live.

But anyway, if multiple people were ill you wouldn't have none it... Stevie if anything looked a little rough... There is something definitely going on with her... I don't know what it is. It's the eyes, and like I said before, it's either her foot/feet or her hips. She looks to me like she has a bit of a limp... I don't know. No boots, just boks. But with the eyes she looks half asleep up there - maybe it's the lights. During Gold Dust Woman near the end of the song her eyes were closed for so long - I kept thinking, you better open your eyes before you fall over, cause she was swaying around with the mic at the same time as she was singing... But vocally, she's very strong. If she was the one that was sick it didn't affect her voice at all.

Lindsey sounded good vocally too... He ditched the red shirt, wore a black look alike, and blue jeans - same leather jacket. This is for sure the Lindsey Buckingham Show.... But it's well deserved. He's a mad man up there.... He's just awesome plain and simple and the audience ate it up. I would even venture to say that he got more of a crowd reaction on his songs then Stevie did... It's just interesting to see that knowing that Stevie has had so much of the popularity over the years. The place was packed and to me it was a very enthusiastic crowd.... One thing that was kind of cool to see is during GYOW when Stevie was facing the crowd on her side waving her tamborine in the air... she had the crowd all up the side jumping up and down at the same time... It was neat! She started jumping up and down in place on the stage and on her side they followed suit. It just looked pretty cool.

Hi-lights for me were Oh Well & Gold Dust Woman.

Anyway.... a fairly normal show I think... I'm tired though, so excuse this short review.... I'll end it there.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac
GM Place Vancouver
FIONA MORROW
Globe and Mail

Things started out a little flat for Fleetwood Mac at GM Place Friday night. The band had cancelled concerts earlier in the week in both Calgary and Edmonton, due to sickness, with unconfirmed media reports suggesting it was Stevie Nicks who was suffering.

Certainly the 60-year-old singer appeared a tad fragile onstage, moving rather gingerly and avoiding the high notes on "Dreams" completely. Not that the enthusiastic crowd seemed to mind — their combined voices made sure the lyrics rang out loud and clear.

If Nicks was under-the-weather, she still brightened up proceedings — a fact made abundantly obvious whenever she headed to the wings to let Lindsey Buckingham have his songs in the spotlight. Somehow we made it through a dreary rendition of "Go Insane" from his solo album, most notable for a thunderous roar of reverb that rattled the stadium's stands. He fairly screamed an acoustic version of "Big Love," beating his guitar into submission, determined to prove he's still a rock star — V-neck and medallion notwithstanding. He positively mangled "Never Going Back Again," turning it into something a drunk uncle might embarrass himself with at a family wedding. Though she was there, Nicks couldn't help him out on that one.

Neither could the pair invoke the spirit or sound of Christine McVie when they ventured into her traditional territory briefly with "Say You Love Me."

Other McVie classics were noticeably absent, but it's hard to imagine the likes of "Songbird" or "You Make Loving Fun" without her anyway. Quite what it would have been like had Sheryl Crow been part of the combo (an early possibility when the tour was being planned) plain boggles the mind.

With a couple of costume changes during a two-hour set, Nicks showed she hasn't relinquished her hippie roots. Bedecked in scarves and fringes, she played with silver chains draped around the microphone stand. For "Gold Dust Woman" she was wrapped in a gold shawl; on "Go Your Own Way" she sported a black top hat.

There was little personal interaction between the band — perhaps to be expected given their tumultuous history — save for an obviously orchestrated lean into each other by Nicks and Buckingham at the closing bars of "Sara." For their parts, Mick Fleetwood bounced around the drums gamely, while bass player John McVie spent the night at the back of the stage in the shadows. In contrast, Buckingham, was in his element, his ego unbridled as he practically climbed into the front row, encouraging them to touch him and his guitar.

But for all the Brit guitarist's pumped-up adrenaline, the show at times felt weirdly sombre. Their best work behind them, there was an air of desperation about this presumably lucrative endeavour. In the end, Fleetwood's bonkers, blissed-out extended drum solo — complete with whoops and howls — on encore track "World Turning" was the most authentic moment of the night. And with it, he more than earned his cut.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Brit Guitarist huh? As Chris Farley once said, "get it right moron!"
Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I certaintly hope SS isn't dropped for good. That would suck tremendously. I loved that song as the show closer, I though it was so powerful. If it is gone for good, they need to replace it. One encore doesn't cut it for a FM show, especially at these ticket prices!!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 05-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Brit Guitarist huh? As Chris Farley once said, "get it right moron!"
Hey David... Don't ya just love these reporters??? LOLOLOL I do love it though, when they actually have something nice to say about the band..

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
It happened alright.... Silver Springs was dropped! Show ended with the one normal encore. Last song Don't Stop.

Aside from that - the show looked and sounded pretty normal to me based on what I've seen and heard online. Sounds way better in person mind you and as good as some of these boots of the tour sound, they don't fully capture it. You have to experience it live.

But anyway, if multiple people were ill you wouldn't have none it... Stevie if anything looked a little rough... There is something definitely going on with her... I don't know what it is. It's the eyes, and like I said before, it's either her foot/feet or her hips. She looks to me like she has a bit of a limp... I don't know. No boots, just boks. But with the eyes she looks half asleep up there - maybe it's the lights. During Gold Dust Woman near the end of the song her eyes were closed for so long - I kept thinking, you better open your eyes before you fall over, cause she was swaying around with the mic at the same time as she was singing... But vocally, she's very strong. If she was the one that was sick it didn't affect her voice at all.

Lindsey sounded good vocally too... He ditched the red shirt, wore a black look alike, and blue jeans - same leather jacket. This is for sure the Lindsey Buckingham Show.... But it's well deserved. He's a mad man up there.... He's just awesome plain and simple and the audience ate it up. I would even venture to say that he got more of a crowd reaction on his songs then Stevie did... It's just interesting to see that knowing that Stevie has had so much of the popularity over the years. The place was packed and to me it was a very enthusiastic crowd.... One thing that was kind of cool to see is during GYOW when Stevie was facing the crowd on her side waving her tamborine in the air... she had the crowd all up the side jumping up and down at the same time... It was neat! She started jumping up and down in place on the stage and on her side they followed suit. It just looked pretty cool.

Hi-lights for me were Oh Well & Gold Dust Woman.

Anyway.... a fairly normal show I think... I'm tired though, so excuse this short review.... I'll end it there.
I think so too, that's the light. Because when she did those recent interview's she had them open I use to perform on stage and the light is very bright, so I guess it's just the light

Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna93 View Post
I think so too, that's the light. Because when she did those recent interview's she had them open I use to perform on stage and the light is very bright, so I guess it's just the light
If it was just the light, then she would look half asleep on every tour she's ever done.

I don't know what's up with her, but something definitely is.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

she did the closed eye thing in omaha too~ my hubby said she looked tired when she did that, but great otherwise~

i took it as her getting into the music~ but the shuffling across stage had me more worried than the eyes~ she looked to be in pain~
Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by equeen102289 View Post
If it was just the light, then she would look half asleep on every tour she's ever done.
True, but as you get older you're more irritable to light. (Well that's what I hear anyway )

Anyways, I can't believe that they dropped "Silver Springs" for now. I guess Stevie just wasn't up to it. I really am starting to feel bad for her... it sounds like she's really not enjoying herself on this tour. At least we know that Lindsey will give his 150% each night. Bless his heart. He's having to really go above and beyond.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
One thing that was kind of cool to see is during GYOW when Stevie was facing the crowd on her side waving her tamborine in the air... she had the crowd all up the side jumping up and down at the same time... It was neat! She started jumping up and down in place on the stage and on her side they followed suit. It just looked pretty cool.
That sounds like an interesting little phenomenon. Now that would be a nice moment to have captured. I also wanted them to bring a strobe light in at one point, because she captured the crowd so well at Tom Petty's show when she danced with the strobe lights hitting her, giving the start/stop motion effect. An FM crowd would eat that up.

Thanks for the review. I stayed up a little late waiting for you guys to get back from the concert, but in the end I couldn't hold out, so it was great to get here now and see your post first thing!

Michele
Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertai...970/story.html

VANCOUVER - As has been noted countless times since Fleetwood Mac announced their intention to head back out on the road in 2009, Fleetwood Mac: Unleashed is the first tour the band have done without a record to promote. Call it a greatest hits tour, if you must, but the remaining members of the group — Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, and the man who started it all, Mick Fleetwood — have been on record as saying they’ll play what they please.

From the opening salvo of Monday Morning as the group hit the GM Place stage Friday night, it was clear that the songs this incarnation of the group prefer are the ones that they wrote themselves. That Morning kicked off the set was likely no accident – the track opened Fleetwood Mac’s self-titled album (a.k.a. The White Album), the first marking the appearance of Buckingham and Nicks. Yes, the evening would draw on the “mega-band” era of the Mac, absent the songs of Miss Christine McVie, who for reasons known only to her still hasn’t come back to the fold

Morning was followed up by The Chain, laying waste to any doubt that the group would stray too far from their musical explorations at the top of the charts.

In short order, Nicks announced “Let’s get this party started!” before segueing into a somewhat anti-climactically loping version of Dreams. From the rasp in her already somewhat bleating voice, it was clear that Nicks is not yet fully recovered from the illness that caused the group to postpone its Calgary and Edmonton dates earlier last week. Though Nicks was clearly doing her best to “unleash the furies” as she’s so often been quoted as saying, the back-up singers did most of the heavy lifting, and the black-clad icon stayed well clear of the high notes.

While everyone in attendance expected the best of Fleetwood Mac, it was a little more surprising that the set took some time to highlight songs written outside the group. Buckingham, clad in a leather jacket and a deep v-neck that revealed a leathery California tan, delivered a cracking version of the title track from 1984’s Go Insane, while Nicks disappeared off stage, perhaps to light more incense or have a drink of throat coat.

The tambourine-wielding witchy woman was back in short order for Rhiannon, with Nicks again backing off the high notes. There's a reason this song is impossibly difficult to sing at karaoke, and anyone who ever clammed the high-notes on the chorus while singing along must have been slightly pleased to see Nicks staying in the lower ranges.

As much as the songwriters Nicks and Buckingham were the main attraction (this was made explicit with the pair shown split-screen on the Jumbotron nearly the entire show), McVie and Fleetwood, the group’s namesakes, are still as solid as ever. McVie stood stoically in place on stage, seemingly still clad in his –Rumours-era costume, and Fleetwood shone on the unbeatably catchy Tusk, the first song of the night that seemed to ignite the crowd of boomers.

For those in the crowd who didn’t get to see late‘70s line-up of Fleetwood Mac in their original glory, and know the band only through the pilfered record collections of parents and older siblings, there where a few moments when fidelity wasn’t exactly as hoped. Never Going Back Again. Buckingham’s lilting gem from Rumours started out a slow-ed down acoustic whisper, but, by the end, as the grey-haired tenor belted into the microphone, it brought to mind, again, slightly inebriated karaoke.

What still sticks out the most, however, is absence of Christine McVie. While the balladeering pianist has been gone for over ten years, her absence still made itself known: So Afraid and the monster rock jam of Oh Well drew the male majority of the group into sharp relief, and Say You Will, in particular, seemed patchy without McVie’s posh soprano and bouncy keys. A group of professionals to be sure, the four remaining quickly followed up with Gold Dust Woman a dyed-in-the-wool Stevie Nicks original — the kind that could almost make an audience ask "Christine who?"

To that end, by the time a top-hat clad Nicks and a pogo-ing Buckingham led the crowd through a sing-along of Go Your Own Way, it mattered not that the group showed a few bumps and bruises after 30 plus years. The songs themselves — always the raison d'ętre of Fleetwood Mac through its many members and four decades — are still fresh and phenomenally catchy, and, if a gleefully dancing house at GM Place was anything got go by, something much greater than the band itself.

As a final note, that Mick Fleetwood took a seven-minute drum solo in the middle of encore World Turning, was a bit of magic. After starting the band in ’67 and overseeing the comings and goings of some 17 members, the 61-year-old band leader certainly deserves to bang his epic kit for as long as he pleases. That it was enjoyable to listen to was merely a bonus, that he looked happiest when introducing the talent around him – backup singers and stars both — is perhaps the magic ingredient that has kept the group a draw for so many years.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The Vancouver Sun

What still sticks out the most, however, is absence of Christine McVie. While the balladeering pianist has been gone for over ten years, her absence still made itself known: So Afraid and the monster rock jam of Oh Well drew the male majority of the group into sharp relief, and Say You Will, in particular, seemed patchy without McVie’s posh soprano and bouncy keys.
I think the technical name of that song is Say You Will Love Me.

Ok, you singers. So, Christine is like a mezzo-soprano, right? What is Stevie exactly?

Michele
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, Lindsey - everyone's favourite drunk uncle.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."