User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Christine and Lindsey seem like private people to me. I think many of their demos were done behind closed doors with only a few people in attendance.
Christine works quite differently than Stevie. She has commented about how she generally only writes songs when she knows there is going to be an album. She takes a very workman like approach to her craft: she writes songs for the project at hand.

Stevie (and Lindsey to a lesser extent) just writes, produces,and gathers a variety of demos/songs in a nebulous manner; the possibility being that they might be offered to other artists, her solo albums, soundtracks, or to Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-06-2014 at 04:28 AM..
Old 12-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

"Blue Turns to Grey," "Gotta Get Away," "Deep Dense," "Given Thing" and "The Singer Not the Song," are the only tracks left that have not made it onto an official studio album. "My Little Demon" in a way did since it was on The Dance, although that's a live version of the song. I honestly believe that "Steve's Riff (Wear You Down)" was made into what we know now as "Sleeping Around the Corner." The beat sounds very similar even though the chorus is completely different. And who knows, there are probably other tracks from that era that are still lying around that we haven't even heard.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
"Blue Turns to Grey," "Gotta Get Away," "Deep Dense," "Given Thing" and "The Singer Not the Song," are the only tracks left that have not made it onto an official studio album. "My Little Demon" in a way did since it was on The Dance, although that's a live version of the song. I honestly believe that "Steve's Riff (Wear You Down)" was made into what we know now as "Sleeping Around the Corner." The beat sounds very similar even though the chorus is completely different. And who knows, there are probably other tracks from that era that are still lying around that we haven't even heard.
yeah it's a very different song. Steve's Riff is still out there.

Gotta Get Away and The Singer Not the song are finished and mixed, just not mastered.... the other songs you list are really demos.

also, people from LB's "guitar army" band in early 90s have posted pics of all of them in HI (or somewhere like that?) and said Lindsey took that whole band there for a period of time and they recorded bunch of tracks which were supposed to be his next solo album. and that none of these tracks ever showed up anywhere.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
also, people from LB's "guitar army" band in early 90s have posted pics of all of them in HI (or somewhere like that?) and said Lindsey took that whole band there for a period of time and they recorded bunch of tracks which were supposed to be his next solo album. and that none of these tracks ever showed up anywhere.
Do you know if Lindsey's ever commented on these HI songs in a Q & A?

Michele
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Do you know if Lindsey's ever commented on these HI songs in a Q & A?

Michele
i don't. you mean at m&gs or is there some q&a here or some other place on the internet you can link me to?

the only time i heard of these songs was from his guitar army band members on fb... i think maybe 2 or 3 of them commented on it, there were some pics of all of them on the beach, snorkeling, etc.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i don't. you mean at m&gs or is there some q&a here or some other place on the internet you can link me to?
Yes, I was thinking about those meet and greets and wondered if the subject came up.

There's lots of unheard music out there. Michele
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Christine works quite differently than Stevie. She has commented about how she generally only writes songs when she knows there is going to be an album. She takes a very workman like approach to her craft: she writes songs for the project at hand.
But at the time of the Dance, on the Best Buy CD, Christine said that she had lots of songs piled up, so once her life stopped being so busy, she apparently started to write songs without an album project or other goal in sight as well.

Michele
Old 12-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you are missing out. way more songs than what ended up on SYW, and songs fit so much better together. would have been epic album if it ever came out that way.

other than GOS1 which was more-less done songs that were presented to the record company (so anybody could have probably leaked it at that point), there are a number of leaked real demos - several different Deep Dense demos, Given Thing, Steve's Riff, Blue Turns to Grey, all in different stages of being unfinished.

and whoever said that LB never allows demo versions of his songs to be heard, guess they didn't hear officially released Rumours or Tusk song demos from few years ago. he may have cared much more in the past about non-finished versions being released than these days.

of course, other than his 3 songs released on the EP, we haven't heard any of his or Christine's new FM music recorded in 2012 and 2014, either leaked or officially released. he's been almost as prolific and productive in the last 2 years as in the previous 5, yet unlike when he was solo or collaborating with other artists which was all released in short order, we've heard none of his most recent music. and people are wondering why we are upset over no new album and say to just wait and be happy??
That's exactly why no new album is driving me crazy! I must admit I am more excited to hear Christine's new songs than Lindsey's new songs. But still, it is just wrong that 5 of the 8 new songs Lindsey, Mick and John recorded and finished in 2012 still have not been released to the public two years later.

And the only reason why those new songs have not been released? Because until Stevie adds her backing vocals to them, the band considers those 5 songs "unfinished".
Old 12-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
And the only reason why those new songs have not been released? Because until Stevie adds her backing vocals to them, the band considers those 5 songs "unfinished".
They should just call Susanna Hoffs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They should just call Susanna Hoffs.
You're funny! Susanna Hoffs is a great singer! But I think most people can tell the difference between Stevie and Susanna.

That's the band's conundrum. Hypothetically:

If Christine, Lindsey, Mick and John release an album that doesn't feature Stevie at all, who's going to answer the awkward questions from the media? The inevitable question would be: Why is Ms Nicks touring with you when she's not on this record? It would be very embarrassing and damaging to the band's reputation.

Just as if Christine had contributed to Say You Will album but not toured, inevitably the media would have asked, "What's going on?"

The band doesn't have any good answers to these questions it would seem. Other than the tired old line of, "We don't really get along", which if you are professionals (and they are) is a poor excuse.

I wish that Lindsey would release the songs that he, Mick and John recorded in 2012 as a solo EP or solo album. Especially when the titles of those songs are as tantalising as "Lay Down for Free"", "Hunger" and "Is it Right".

Remember that article from early 2014 about Christine's studio sessions with Lindsey, Mick and John? The journalist described Christine's song (she wrote the lyrics over Lindsey's music and presumably sings lead vocal on it) "Too Far Gone" as a danceable new Fleetwood Mac song. I want to dance to Fleetwood Mac's Too Far Gone before I die!

Last edited by secret love; 12-07-2014 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: Had some additional thoughts to share
Old 12-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Susanna Hoffs is a great singer! But I think most people can tell the difference between Stevie and Susanna.

Difference, yep. Better, nope.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

We have versions where Lindsey is just running through, playing with chords, with no lyrics making up stuff.

Michele
the garden?

i love Gift of Screws 1.0
but i love the polished version too
Old 12-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

Stevie (and Lindsey to a lesser extent) just writes, produces,and gathers a variety of demos/songs in a nebulous manner; the possibility being that they might be offered to other artists, her solo albums, soundtracks, or to Fleetwood Mac.
Perhaps this disciplined approach was instilled in her as a result of her childhood piano lessons!

I bought myself a piano lesson once (at age 20) and absolutely hated it. I already know how to read music: I learnt that in high school during two years compulsory music education.

So the teacher just had me practise playing old children's music over and over. Easy and boring! (I thought that he might be able to teach me how to go about composing piano music to go with the song lyrics I wrote.)

I don't know where to start and it's difficult because I'm working backwards: I have my lyrics written first and am yet to write any music to go with them. The piano teacher couldn't offer me any suggestions or advice at all.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
"The Singer Not the Song", "Blue Turns to Grey" and "Gotta Get Away" are all Rolling Stones covers, not original Buckingham compositions. I have watched a YouTube video of Lindsey performing "Deep Dense" live, which I think was taken from the same solo concert at which he performed "Steal Your Heart Away" live. The live SYHA took my breath away; I'm nonplussed as to why Lindsey would miss an opportunity to perform SYHA live with Christine back. Her vocals could be made more prominent in a live performance than they are on the Say You Will record and would sound great.

Deep Dense is quite good but not Lindsey's best work. I will search on YouTube for the other songs you've listed.

Last edited by secret love; 12-07-2014 at 01:57 AM..
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have watched a YouTube video of Lindsey performing "Deep Dense" live, which I think was taken from the same solo concert at which he performed "Steal Your Heart Away" live. The live SYHA took my breath away; I'm nonplussed as to why Lindsey would miss an opportunity to perform SYHA live with Christine back. Her vocals could be made more prominent in a live performance than they are on the Say You Will record and would sound great.
there's a video of Deep Dense live? never heard that he ever did that song live. maybe that's some other song from his Soundstage?