Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Why Didnt The Dance Win The Grammy

With so much being said that LB was upset at the Grammys, CM was mad at him, etc

Something that has always bothered me that night:

. Why didnt they win ? I mean, granted it was a live album of old stuff, but you promote them as part of the show, heavily, you slate them to perform, they do perform during the prime time rating part of it, they are interviewed tons before, heck Even VH1 did stuff with them, you give them a great intro, Kelsey Grammer, and then you show them, and you dont give them the award

I have noticed Grammys since , that the artists that are promoted big time, and perform, usually win 97 % of the time. If you werent going to give them the award, then why freaking ask them to be there, that to me never made sense

Im not saying that they should of won, but with how things usually go on these things, why ask them to show up if they dont win, for a old act I mean, I promise you if Paul Mccartney was up for a Grammy and was asked to perform that night and hes promoted, etc, that regardless of the album content, he would win

That never made sense to me, and a part of me understands why LB may have been upset. It seemed as a waste of the Macs time, hell at least the Brit awards got it right AND ALLOWED THEM TIME to perform, damn Grammy's gave the mac what 4 minutes maybe?

All that made no sense

I think the AMA with Say You Will did it right, meaning they won and performed, it just would have been nice to see them take the award, get a standing ovation and give the speech

Man, that never made sense to me, and it would have rocked had they played The Chain that night and really did it the old way, with long intro and guitar solo at the end, that place would have jumped out of their seats

oh well, mistake on the Grammy side if you ask me
Old 09-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was that the Grammy show where they came out & did a 3 song medley (of 3 songs that don't GO together as a medley)?

They were doing all that as promotion that the "band was back together" (and promotion for upcoming projects, too). Had no connection with whether they were going to win a Grammy. I think the Grammy nomination istelf was just a bone the Grammy people threw to them (no way was The Dance Grammy worthy), also as some kind of free promotional tool for upcoming projects. Since at the time Lindsey's supposed "solo album" (the aborted version of Gift Of Screws) was still on the table at WB...all that promotion was basically to get that album some pre-release promotion, as well. And, as we all know by now, none of that happened, plus Christine had already filled out & submitted her retirement papers, so everything became a moot point.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
(no way was The Dance Grammy worthy)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
You a bad man. You a very very bad man!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A View Post
With so much being said that LB was upset at the Grammys, CM was mad at him, etc......... and it would have rocked had they played "The Chain" that night and really did it the old way, with long intro and guitar solo at the end, that place would have jumped out of their seats

oh well, mistake on the Grammy side if you ask me
I TOTALLY agree. The band should have rocked out with "THE CHAIN" that night on the GRAMMY show. It would have sounded so much better than the "medley" that I'm sure THE PRODUCERS urged them to put together. Playing the "medley" made them come across as a dinosaur act that had nothing new to offer....If they were playing something old, THE CHAIN would have gained them much more respect.

I've never heard the story about Chris being mad and Lindsey at the show. Can you tell me that one?

THANKS
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They didn't deserve to win. As much as I love The Dance, it was, essentially, a live greatest hits package. Had the band come out with a new album of songs, or at least a live set in which most of the old songs were given radically new treatments (a la Say You Love Me) then I could see it.

I don't think JT should have won either. The honor should have gone to Paula Cole for This Fire.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Holy smokes, I didn't even realize that The Dance was nominated, although I do recall "Silver Springs" being nominated for Pop Performance or something like that. I agree with some of the others above that, although it's a very well-made live reunion album, The Dance wasn't really Grammy-worthy. "Silver Springs" is another story, though...I don't think any of the other nominees came close to this classic performance (I don't even remember who won in that category).
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

I've never heard the story about Chris being mad and Lindsey at the show. Can you tell me that one?

THANKS
We don't know the story. It's based on a vague comment Stevie made at a meet and greet. Here is a transcript that Elle prepared for us from the recording.

Chris started to get panic attacks in the last couple of years
course she didn't wanna fly
and when you tour like FM tours we the band can't go on the bus
b/c we'd be too tired to go on stage
so she got really afraid of flying
and she's been doing this since she was 14
i mean i started you know in my 20s
so since she's 14 she'd been in a band
and after The Dance we went to Grammys
and it wasn't we didn't win the grammy -
which we wanted to win really a lot for The Dance
and Lindsey got kinda mad
and she wasn't really happy with that situation

and basically when it was all over and everybody had gone home
she and i were doing some preps
she said to me "i quit"
and i'm and i was and i looked at her "really??"
because we had done 40 shows, in US,
we could have done you know 2 months in Australia, couple of months in Europe, we could have toured the whole world
we could have been out another year
and which would have been multi-million dollars
and, so i said "really??"
and she said "really."
and look in her eyes was like when somebody breaks up with you
and you know they are not kidding
and you know there are no reason for you to go but
so i said so you're done? and she said "i'm done."
and i said "well, who's telling them, me or you?"
and she said "no i'll tell them"
so band basically broke up
for until... until... until we went back together to do Say You Will
we, we really had to think for several many years whether or not we were gonna continue without her
or if we could
and i think the only reason that we could continue without her
was because the stage itself still looked very similar
because you have crazy Mick in the middle and Lindsey here
and me here and John here and the only thing was missing was Chris
who never wanted to be in the spotlight anyway
so she was way over on the side behind her big huge organ
and that's how she wanted it
she wanted... Chris always wanted to be one of the musicians
she never had any want to ever walk upfront and be center stage
so because of that
we could pretty much replicate the show without her
otherwise we wouldn't have been able to to continue."
Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A View Post

Why didnt they win ? I mean, granted it was a live album of old stuff...

I have noticed Grammys since , that the artists that are promoted big time, and perform, usually win 97 % of the time.

I think you answered your own question.

Ask my good friend Jack White about the
97%.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They did not win because the Grammys just don't award those who are truly deserving.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think The Dance deserved to win that Grammy simply because it's basically a greatest hits. If it were a new album with new songs (and not just those few new songs) they would have had a chance.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
I don't think The Dance deserved to win that Grammy simply because it's basically a greatest hits. If it were a new album with new songs (and not just those few new songs) they would have had a chance.
Well, "The Dance" did boast 3 new songs, plus the resurrected & sublime re-working of "Silver Springs".

I do think FM were snubbed a little. "Silver Springs" should have won.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Grammys often make retrospectively puzzling choices (especially in the Best New Artist category IIRC). I personally don't think The Dance should've won because as others said it was an album of almost all old songs, though I think a few performances made great new contributions ("Silver Springs" the most notorious, also a new life for "The Chain" and "Landslide"). But as for why the Grammy committee didn't award it, it was up against two Lilith Fest-type hits which were then in vogue (Paula Cole's and Sarah Maclachlan's current projects) and a Jamiroquai album that I've never listened to so I can't comment on it, and also James Taylor who did win, and you could say James Taylor is just as much a "legacy" rock act as the Mac and had the added bonus of having an album with all new material out, and had some of the "comeback" qualities of The Dance too. So maybe that won out in the end. Grammy votes, like Oscar votes, are kinda sometimes about politics and paying nod to as many different criteria that people want fulfilled as possible.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like I said in the Larry Hagman thread .I think these award shows are fixed and unfair to artists that really deserve the awards.

Every time I watch the shows they come up with an unknown unpopular uncharted name that nobody knows except the inner industry knows and a handful of fans.

Will known artists like Stevie and FM get hosed of getting nominated or winning the award.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016