User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album

Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album

On Monday Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album was a top story. Here is the recap: (Gibson) Stevie Nicks has spent much of the past two years promoting her solo album, In Your Dreams. Surprisingly, Nicks is now admitting that all the hard work didn't really result in much success sales-wise.

"I didn't sell a lot of records, you guys. For me, for a big act like moi, I didn't," Nicks said via CTV News. "Worldwide I probably sold 300,000 records. It's awesome if you're an unknown artist and you have a hit single, but it's not really that awesome if you're Stevie Nicks."

So, what's the reason for the slow sales? Nicks says it's simply because the music business has changed. "It's such a different age now," she said.

As for the present, Nicks will be on tour with Fleetwood Mac through this fall. So far, she loves the change. "Fleetwood Mac's much more sophisticated and grown up," she said. "And my show is just like a big slumber party in an auditorium." - more on this story

Gibson.com is an official news provider for the antiMusic.com.
Copyright Gibson.com - Excerpted here with permission.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/Apr...st_Album.shtml
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Registered

Maybe Moi should take a good hard look at reality . 10 years of no new music and no change in her the songs she performed , probably turned off a lot of people . and Other artist are selling cds

it not them it's her .
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie needs to fact the facts....
  • This is NOT 1975.
  • Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks are NOT hot new artists.
  • 10 years between albums is a joke.
  • At this stage in their career, the Mac members are NEVER going to do anything groundbreaking or reinvent themselves, so as good as the music on IYD is, it's nothing new.
  • 300,00 copies is a LOT of record sales and will make a lot of money, regardless of your status. Stevie should be happy that people still want to listen to her music and buy her records, unlike a lot of older artists that just hang around the nether regions of the charts
  • "but it's not really that awesome if you're Stevie Nicks"....Stevie, I love you, but GET OVER YOURSELF, LOVE!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Stevie needs to fact the facts....
  • This is NOT 1975.
  • Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks are NOT hot new artists.
  • 10 years between albums is a joke.
  • At this stage in their career, the Mac members are NEVER going to do anything groundbreaking or reinvent themselves, so as good as the music on IYD is, it's nothing new.
  • 300,00 copies is a LOT of record sales and will make a lot of money, regardless of your status. Stevie should be happy that people still want to listen to her music and buy her records, unlike a lot of older artists that just hang around the nether regions of the charts
  • "but it's not really that awesome if you're Stevie Nicks"....Stevie, I love you, but GET OVER YOURSELF, LOVE!!
Lindsey's solo album sales haven't come CLOSE to that of Stevie's at any point in their careers. Would she rather have similar album sales to him? No. And yet, Lindsey continues to make new music, continues to tour and make regular appearances.

Stevie once said "I would die if I wasn't doing this" and "I don't know how to do anything else". What happened to that girl, hmmm? She wasn't worried about album sales or $$$. She was doing what she loved and people wanted to hear her and see her do it. They still do. She's right in that the music business HAS changed. As she said in Destiny Rules "people are not sitting around smoking dope wondering what the next record they're going to buy is".

In 2013, as the world is today, 300,000 copies is a lot. Stevie continues to sell records, continues to be a popular touring act and people still want to listen to her music. THAT is something to be proud of.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fully agree with all of the above. If you only squeeze out a new piece of work every ten years, then basically you are trying to make a comeback. If you regularly put stuff out then your fans will stay.

And if you can no longer write, as it seems, since she had Dave Stewart do the music to most of IYD, then hit the vault.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking up record sales is definitely something that Stevie's "people" need to coach her to stop bringing up in public, it's embarrassing. I remember her saying around the time of the release of Tusk that if it didn't sell she'd be disappointed in "everyone". I guess that includes the 300 K of us that bought the fantastic IYD and the 4 million of us that bought the brilliant Tusk album. I love you Stevie, but please just drop the pouting and get back to the music.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
hit the vault.
Totally agree since we all know some of Stevie's best songwriting remains unheard by the general public, but I think it's far too late in her career for it to have a lasting impact. There are songs in there as good or better than anything that has been officially released.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
As she said in Destiny Rules "people are not sitting around smoking dope wondering what the next record they're going to buy is".

I am sort of one of those people sitting around smoking dope and wondering what the next record I'm going to buy! The essential difference is that I'm not wondering - I know the records I want to buy.

Stevie needs to focus less on sales and more on her craft. She's not getting any younger, and among any new material she has written, she has plenty of older material laying around to work with. At this stage in her career, she should be doing what Lindsey is doing - adding to his legacy by being more prolific than ever. She could put out an album every several years, and not feel obligated to tour for two years to promote it; perhaps just a few key performances, and TV appearances.

Another thing -- I find it odd that her concept of promoting a new album is to tour under the name of the album, yet only perform a slim fraction of it in the show, then make TV appearances performing old songs, and promise a movie documentary that is delivered nearly two years after the album's release, and accessible in the most limiting way. Who are the marketing geniuses responsible for this? The timing and tactics were all wrong. Makes me think her managers have the skill level akin to that of Chris Nicks' graphic design ability.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-02-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh she can be honest (although seriously what did she expect) but when i read "a big act like MOI" i want to punch her.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I am sort of one of those people sitting around smoking dope and wondering what the next record I'm going to buy! The essential difference is that I'm not wondering - I know the records I want to buy.

Stevie needs to focus less on sales and more on her craft. She's not getting any younger, and among any new material she has written, she has plenty of older material laying around to work with. At this stage in her career, she should be doing what Lindsey is doing - adding to his legacy by being more prolific than ever. She could put out an album every several years, and not feel obligated to tour for two years to promote it; perhaps just a few key performances, and TV appearances.

Another thing -- I find it odd that her concept of promoting a new album is to tour under the name of the album, yet only perform a slim fraction of it in the show, then make TV appearances performing old songs, and promise a movie documentary that is delivered nearly two years after the album's release, and accessible in the most limiting way. Who are the marketing geniuses responsible for this? The timing and tactics were all wrong. Makes me think her managers have the skill level akin to that of Chris Nicks' graphic design ability.
I think you make some great points here. Things should be released at the time they are out --meaning the CD and the documentary etc. I think she really missed the boat. The attention span today isn't like it was even 10 yrs ago let alone 20 and 30 + yrs ago. She could've done many things. Waiting 10 yrs between CD's isn't great either. Like others have stated too. Open up that Vaults and release 'all' those unreleased outtakes /extended versions/unheard songs as well as outtake photos etc. I don't think it'll happen though. Sad but so true.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes to all this. I do not understand the studiophobia for someone who claims to be an artist. Not at all. The legacy will be the recordings, Honey.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Another thing -- I find it odd that her concept of promoting a new album is to tour under the name of the album, yet only perform a slim fraction of it in the show, then make TV appearances performing old songs, and promise a movie documentary that is delivered nearly two years after the album's release, and accessible in the most limiting way.
While I agree that it blows she performs mostly old songs like "Landslide," and "stand Back" on shows like Ellen, and such, during her actual show she displayed a lot of the album in her setlist, I think the majority of it was IYD songs, wasn't it? I'm not 100% on that because I wasn't able to go to any of the shows, but the setlists I've looked up show that, and at least she was playing those new songs at her concerts, showing she has some passion for them and actually likes them!!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

IMHO, I think Stevie is right when she says that music business has changed and "It's such a different age now". The problem is not that her album isn't good, but the fact that people nowadays (specially younger generations) listen to crappy music, as Chris already said almost 20 years ago: “Learn your instrument. Be honest. Don't do anything phony. There is so much crap floating around. There is plenty of room for a bit of honest writing.”. Stevie write and sing honest music, but how can she fight against all the contrived, noisy and often meaningless songs that radio and tv stations feed us today? There's a complete fall style that reflects our society, so, in order to have fame and make money, today's artists adapt themselves and eventually all the songs sound alike. If you want to stay true to yourself, these are the disadvantages you will face. She doesn't need to change the way she write or sings to please her fans though, she shouldn't forget that there's still plenty of people who love good music and love her, so at this point of her career she shouldn't care anymore about poor sales: if you survived to 40 years of musical changes and you still sell 300,000 records worldwide in this age of decay, well... it means you are still way better than any anonymous and untalented singer that released a big hit but will disappears in just 1 or 2 years. Therefore, poor sales are more than welcome!

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 05-03-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Old 05-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default meh

You guys are all over-reacting, and frankly, the title of the article is off-base. Nicks wasn't whining about the album sales. If you actually watch the video you can see that for yourself. She was making a point about how little albums sell these days.

In fact, she was *proud* that IYD sold 300,000 because, as she said, she "sold every one of those 300,000 copies" without any major support from the record company. And this wasn't a slam on the record company either - she stated that with album sales being low, companies don't have the money to support albums like they used to.

So the entire sequence was her talking about how she went out for 2 straight years and worked hard and sold IYD and she was proud of that. The article completely misunderstood this, and most of you bought it hook line and sinker.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie needs to focus less on sales and more on her craft.
I like what you say in the rest of your post, but I snipped it to add to this: If Stevie wants to see sales on fire again, she should write a book. Imagine how big a Stevie Nicks memoir would be—New York Times bestseller list, here we come!

moviekinks.blogspot.com