The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM
dansven dansven is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 727
Default Least Favorite Jeremy song from '68 Fleetwood Mac follow-up

The so-called "poll" is closed, and we're not able to post on the thread.

So, 8 enthusiasts have used time and energy to pick out the "least favourite Jeremy Spencer song from '68 Fleetwood Mac" ... however, the list only contains half of Jeremy's output in 1968.

The "winner" (or loser) turns out to be a song called "Hellbound on my Trail"...
Very strange indeed, as I've never heard of this track on any Fleetwood Mac album. Could it be the 8 Ledgies were thinking of "HellHound on my Trail" ??

Well, congratulations to a song that does exist (at least not in FM's catalogue). Hahaha

I see no point in these polls... "least favourite songs.."?
These threads only lead to fighting and we've had enough of that here lately.
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 PM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
The so-called "poll" is closed, and we're not able to post on the thread.

So, 8 enthusiasts have used time and energy to pick out the "least favourite Jeremy Spencer song from '68 Fleetwood Mac" ... however, the list only contains half of Jeremy's output in 1968.

The "winner" (or loser) turns out to be a song called "Hellbound on my Trail"...
Very strange indeed, as I've never heard of this track on any Fleetwood Mac album. Could it be the 8 Ledgies were thinking of "HellHound on my Trail" ??

Well, congratulations to a song that does exist (at least not in FM's catalogue). Hahaha

I see no point in these polls... "least favourite songs.."?
These threads only lead to fighting and we've had enough of that here lately.
I guess it would be different if the poll said "Pick your favourite Jeremy Spencer song from '68 FM"?

As for Jeremy's output of '68, I don't know else someone is supposed to refer to the first album other than 'Fleetwood Mac' or '68 Fleetwood Mac'? Perhaps "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" or "Dog & Dustbin"? I guess the poll creator should have said "album" at the end, but I'm sure we all knew what they meant???

I always find, and perhaps I'm in the minority here, that discussions with the Rumours era fans are a good opportunity to help them expand their appreciation of the band from the Stevie/Lindsey music.

Now all I have to do is get the pre-Rumours people to appreciate Bob Brunning a bit more
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Wouter Vuijk's Avatar
Wouter Vuijk Wouter Vuijk is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
The so-called "poll" is closed, and we're not able to post on the thread.

So, 8 enthusiasts have used time and energy to pick out the "least favourite Jeremy Spencer song from '68 Fleetwood Mac" ... however, the list only contains half of Jeremy's output in 1968.

The "winner" (or loser) turns out to be a song called "Hellbound on my Trail"...
Very strange indeed, as I've never heard of this track on any Fleetwood Mac album. Could it be the 8 Ledgies were thinking of "HellHound on my Trail" ??

Well, congratulations to a song that does exist (at least not in FM's catalogue). Hahaha

I see no point in these polls... "least favourite songs.."?
These threads only lead to fighting and we've had enough of that here lately.
Just think of this:
A song that doesn't exist is least favorite, meaning the others all pass the so-called exam
Thus all Jeremy's tracks 1968 are really great! Including those that didn't even get into the competition, probably because they are to good to be even mentioned as possibly "least favorite".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 PM
ThePenguin's Avatar
ThePenguin ThePenguin is offline
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
I see no point in these polls... "least favourite songs.."?
These threads only lead to fighting and we've had enough of that here lately.
I'm not quite sure why such discussions should lead to fighting, though. If you don't have a least favorite or don't want to pick one, then I'd think you'd just skip the poll.

In the Rumours sections, the polls have led to interesting song discussions, rather than dissension.

If you believe that these votes are too polarizing or are likely to lead to song or artist criticism which you find unfair, I can understand that. That would be a good reason to just ignore poll threads.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 PM
MacShadowsBall MacShadowsBall is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,792
Default

"Hellbound on my Trail" was just a simple typo I made. I'm sorry.

So yes "Hellhound on My Trail" has been voted Least Favorite Jeremy Song from the '68 Fleetwood Mac album, i.e. the "Dog and Dustbin" album. I have this thing about calling the albums by their proper names and not using nicknames and/or abbreviations.

Several Ledgies have decided on both forums not to vote in certain polls, because he/she believes they have no least favorite given the options available. That's perfectly acceptable!

The purpose of these threads/polls is to determine the "Least Favorite Fleetwood Mac song of ALL TIME" - that includes all eras and vocalist/members. I feel its important to take a critical look at the entire Fleetwood Mac catalogue, the good and the not-so-good.

Any other questions, concerns, or suggestions let me know.

Thanks...MacShadowsBall...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2011, 03:01 AM
bretonbanquet's Avatar
bretonbanquet bretonbanquet is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,950
Default

I don't mean to pour cold water on this thing, but it does seem kinda pointless. The "least favourite" Mac song is hardly going to be anything by Stevie, Lindsey or Chris, because they have too many fans here, and dare I say it, fans who are more likely to criticise certain songs for no valid musical reason. So you'll have people voting down a pre-Rumours song or a Bekka Bramlett song in favour of a Stevie song, even though they might never even have heard it We know that half the people on this board never bother with anything pre-1975, let alone album tracks from 1968.

You can only take a critical look at something if you create a level playing field, which is impossible here at least.

In any case, "Hellhound on My Trail" isn't even Jeremy's song... he just sang it.

It's not a case of "pre-Rumours guys can do no wrong therefore I'm not playing your silly game" - none of the members are perfect and they all wrote some songs that weren't as good as others. I'm not someone who has a bias against any member, and I (hopefully) have a rational view of the talents of my favourite members. I have all the albums and like all the members. I just think that you'll only get a skewed result on a board like this, where some members have far more fans than others. We already know that "When You Say" will be the "worst" Danny Kirwan song, and it'll probably be the worst pre-1970 song - other polls have said it before. It'll be there at the end with "I'm a Roadrunner", one of the Dave Mason songs and whichever Bekka Bramlett song people hate the most

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 04-16-2011 at 03:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 AM
dansven dansven is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
I'm not quite sure why such discussions should lead to fighting, though.
If you have trouble understandig this, then just read bretonbanquet's post just above this one. That's very insightful and exactly the point! This has nothing to do with idolizing. All the members have songs that are both good and not-so-good. That's not the point!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
If you don't have a least favorite or don't want to pick one, then I'd think you'd just skip the poll.
That's exactly what I am doing! I have no intention in partecipation in those "polls"!! But I should like to think that I (and everbody else here) have the right to say what we think about this issue!
And I'm not alone in not participating. Merely 8 Ledgies voted on the Jeremy Spencer poll. And the majority of those 8 are "Rumours-folks" (sorry for lack of better description) who have their main interest in what happened after 1975!!

Anybody with the slightest knowledge of statistics will know that these "polls" will not be representative, and it's a waste of time doing this. It only bring bad vibes.


By the way, one really good thing that's happened is the "Signatures Gone Wild" sticky thing. It's about time! Great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Anybody with the slightest knowledge of statistics will know that these "polls" will not be representative, and it's a waste of time doing this. It only bring bad vibes.
Most polls aren't, even in the "real" world.

They are less representative though when a section of the community (online or otherwise) boycotts them.

Anyway, I'm over the issue of whether polls are good or bad so I'll stay out of it. Obviously the divide between the pre '75, the Rumours and the 88-95 fans is as strong as ever.

Pity though because I was once a one-eyed Stevie Nicks fan myself. Then I discovered Bob Welch and it all went from there. I'd like to think being a Fleetwood Mac fan is a journey of discovery. iTunes tells me that I have 3161 Fleetwood Mac related tracks (band or solo or appearances which, yes, includes duplicates). Now that is a long way from first hearing Rhiannon on the radio as a 21 year old.

So maybe, just maybe, with a little bit of discussion, and the posting of links, and (yes, god forbid) even file sharing, some fans of one era might begin to appreciate the music of another era.

Anyway, the last thing I have to say on the matter is that for a matter of record, only 120 or so of those tracks are related to Dave Walker.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 AM
dansven dansven is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Now that is a long way from first hearing Rhiannon on the radio as a 21 year old.

I know what you mean. I heard Peter Green and the boys when I was 15. And I've learned to appreciate both Bob Welch and Lindsey Buckingham.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM
dansven dansven is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
"Hellbound on my Trail" was just a simple typo I made. I'm sorry.
It gives the song new meaning.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2011, 02:07 PM
ThePenguin's Avatar
ThePenguin ThePenguin is offline
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
If you have trouble understandig this, then just read bretonbanquet's post just above this one. That's very insightful and exactly the point! This has nothing to do with idolizing. All the members have songs that are both good and not-so-good. That's not the point!!
I DO have trouble understanding why it should lead to an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
That's exactly what I am doing! I have no intention in partecipation in those "polls"!! But I should like to think that I (and everbody else here) have the right to say what we think about this issue!
You HAVE said what you think about it. But I see no point in additional posts about how stupid and useless the polls are. You've had your say. That is the kind of thing that leads to arguments and fighting, not the polls themselves. If you ignore the poll threads then you won't be subject to the "bad vibes" they bring at all.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2011, 02:22 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Most polls aren't, even in the "real" world.

They are less representative though when a section of the community (online or otherwise) boycotts them.
I know there used to be regular ratings of the entire FM catalog on another site and they were a lot of fun. I don't know how many people participated altogether, but I'd say 40 or 50. Why won the #1 song spot one year. Thoughts on a Grey Day always came in last. And The Second Time always finished around the bottom.

Now, I know sometimes you'd feel bad if someone gave a record a zero which would skewer it's ratings across the board. That was considered unethical. Chili I think you may have done that, once or twice.

Overall, those polls were a lot of fun. These polls aren't the same and can't have the same impact, because they're taking place in different forums and are not really a communal effort, but I understand what MacShadowsball is trying to do.

Actually, I see many polls referenced on the evening news every week that are a lot less scientific and objective than this one. Yet, they're reported as meaningful analsysis. Luckily, no one is trying to use these FM votes for that purpose.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 AM
dino dino is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Thoughts on a Grey Day always came in last.

Michele

I've grown to like the sound of Mrs Scarriott's voice, bet she was one of those nice old ladies who are thankful for vistors and bakes delicious cookies! Besides, her poem seems to have influenced some lyrics on the album. I'd definitively rather listen to Mrs Scarriott than Miss Nicks! .

Last edited by dino; 04-17-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2011, 01:43 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I've grown to like the sound of Mrs Scarriott's voice, bet she was one of those nice old ladies who are thankful for vistors and bakes delicious cookies! Besides, her poem seems to have influenced some lyrics on the album. I'd definitively rather listen to Mrs Scarriott than Miss Nicks! .
I think her reading influenced Mick's These Strange Times years later.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I know there used to be regular ratings of the entire FM catalog on another site and they were a lot of fun. I don't know how many people participated altogether, but I'd say 40 or 50. Why won the #1 song spot one year. Thoughts on a Grey Day always came in last. And The Second Time always finished around the bottom.
I hate Thoughts on a Grey Day, one of the few FM tracks I will skip every single time. Right up there with Woman of 1000 years, Lizard People and These Strange Times.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED RUMOURS LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE +JSA COA
$399.99
FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED RUMOURS LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE +JSA COA pictureFLEETWOOD MAC MICK FLEETWOOD + CHRISTINE MCVIE SIGNED RUMOURS VINYL ALBUM
$299.99
FLEETWOOD MAC MICK FLEETWOOD + CHRISTINE MCVIE SIGNED RUMOURS VINYL ALBUM pictureLindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie FLEETWOOD MAC Signed Autograph CD JSA COA
$42.0
Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie FLEETWOOD MAC Signed Autograph CD JSA COA  pictureFLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER
$29.99
FLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER picturePress Photo Singer Songwriter Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Press Photo Singer Songwriter Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved