User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
What are the book's solutions for Poverty?

Rob
You fail to mention that most of the detractors of the book are conservatives. I distinctly remember quite a few protests about the book conducted by conservative groups where they crudely flamed the author and called her a devil-worshipper, a communist, and a disgusting atheist.

If you want "solutions," read the book as I suggested, notably for the final section of the book entitled "Evaluation."

I get a kick out of you searching the internet for reviews to post for me. Helping to advance the insidious conservative agenda? Name sources next time.

Old 12-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I know what the "stop\slow" sign job entails and I know I could do it easily.
I'll wave to you the next time I'm on the road.

My point was that, while "anyone" could probably do it... few people want to.

No child says, "I want to clean toilets when I grow up," but someone has to do the job, so why not pay our menial laborists well for doing the tasks that most people would turn their nose up at?
Old 12-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
CarneVaca:
With all due respect, saying that Affirmative Action discriminates against white males is a crock. Plain and simple.
With all due respect you're wrong. Not all white males are from middles class suburbia. There are white males who grow up in inner cities too who are poor. Where is the justice for them? Affirmative Action discriminates, plain and simple, based on color and gender.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[i]But alas, if Johnny had said Democrats, no one would have said a single thing. [/B]
I would have. I just do not think it is fair to saqy one group should have an advantage over another based on anything but poverty.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-31-2003, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
You fail to mention that most of the detractors of the book are conservatives. I distinctly remember quite a few protests about the book conducted by conservative groups where they crudely flamed the author and called her a devil-worshipper, a communist, and a disgusting atheist.

If you want "solutions," read the book as I suggested, notably for the final section of the book entitled "Evaluation."

I get a kick out of you searching the internet for reviews to post for me. Helping to advance the insidious conservative agenda? Name sources next time.
Just taking cues from my leftist friends!!

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 12-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We'll agree to disagree on his post.

How's New Yawk? Having a good time? Fill us in!

Old 12-31-2003, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just taking cues from my leftist friends!!
*flutters eyes*

We've taught you well...somewhat.

Seriously though, what were your sources?

Old 12-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I feel for your friend, and it's great that he's making a (hopefully) decent living.

But the intimation is, that someone who hasn't had the benefit of a high school or college education, must work 80 hour weeks, etc., in order to deserve whatever success they have.

I realize that you're really only trying to say that "hard work pays off," but why should someone have to work inhuman hours, probably in physically demanding jobs, and probably at the expense of their families and at the risk of their health, just because they didn't have the benefit of a better education?

It's as if it's being said that people should be somehow penalized for not graduating high school and/or going to college.

Mind you, I'm not saying that anyone should just be handed a cushy life... but for those of us who "have it good," what's wrong with trying to help people on their feet?

Welfare... Affirmative Action... anything can, and will be, abused... but we can't just wipe our hands of it, and say, "well, I earned the money I'm making, so they don't deserve any help."
You make valid points...and I agree. All of these programs are meant for good but they tend to try and fix the symptoms and not address the causes.

Also...education has almost always resulted more income. It has been that way throughout most of history and in most societies. A person with a Masters degree would get paid much more for the same job as a person with a Bachelors degree and so on...a fact of life, i guess.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 12-31-2003, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Also...education has almost always resulted more income. It has been that way throughout most of history and in most societies. A person with a Masters degree would get paid much more for the same job as a person with a Bachelors degree and so on...a fact of life, i guess.

Rob
Wrong.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
*flutters eyes*

We've taught you well...somewhat.

Seriously though, what were your sources?
I never heard of the book and looked it up on amazon...they are reviews from some of the readers....

Maybe I will give it a read. Although from the reviews, both positive and negative, it seems to point out things that are already common knowledge to anyone with a brain. Of course it's hard to make a living on minimum wage.

But I wouldn't be me if I didn't play Devil's Advocate!!!

Rob

PS.. Time to celebrate! Woo-Hoo! Happy New Year!!

- Dennis Miller
Old 12-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not necessarily Show me a social worker with a masters that makes more than $28,000 and I'll show you Bush's left ass cheek.

Bachelors and masters don't make much of a difference.

Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Wrong.
Uh...right.

- Dennis Miller
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought we were discussing the rich, not middle-class Republicans?

And they do use the unfortunate to put money in their pockets. They hire immigrants to work for chump change in order to run their shady businesses, they cut useful federal programs so they can use it for oil to get money, the list goes on. And they invade countries based on imperialistic values.

Hmm - the democrats don't have their hands in those pies as well? Of course they do. But, not all rich people do this. So, it is wrong IMO to say they do or that they are all Republicans.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe I will give it a read. Although from the reviews, both positive and negative, it seems to point out things that are already common knowledge to anyone with a brain. Of course it's hard to make a living on minimum wage.
I like it because it doesn't just discuss the wages, it talks about the way of life of the workers; how they act, the things they feel, their emotions.

Great read.

Old 12-31-2003, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not necessarily Show me a social worker with a masters that makes more than $28,000 and I'll show you Bush's left ass cheek.

Bachelors and masters don't make much of a difference.
Well if you were concerned about money then you wouldn't pursue a career in social work! But, yes, that is an exception to the rule.

Most jobs in the private sector follow that trait...In my business, the tech industry, you pretty much need a masters to get into middle management. And having one allows you to climb the corporate ladder faster. My brother is a HR manager for a huge automotive parts manufacturer. He said that a person with a masters commands an average of 25% more for the same job at entry level in his industry...

A college degree has become the standard level of education for most white collar positions in this country.

Rob

- Dennis Miller

Last edited by Rob67; 12-31-2003 at 04:51 PM..