User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
if you are an artist and have the need to create and put out new music then you do it, whether or not people buy it or love it. maybe they'll love it now or rediscover it 5 years down the road... and maybe they won't. but you are moving forward and being creative.

however, if you are just putting out new music for money and commercial success (which you were lucky enough to get in troves and can still reel in millions by touring and royalties anyway... so why do you need huge sales of new music??), than don't claim that you are still an artist, please.
Both Lindsey and Christine have kept their artistic credentials by releasing solo albums they anticipated would only sell to a narrow part of the market. Although both different people, they did it not for profit but because they wanted people to hear the music.

When I hear Mick and Stevie talk about the music industry in recent interviews I'm unsurprised but still a bit disappointed that they appear only to look at putting music out as a material exercise. Otherwise "we will just make music for ourselves". It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth and really makes me lose respect for those two.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Otherwise "we will just make music for ourselves". It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth and really makes me lose respect for those two.
What do you think that means? Do you think she meant that she would just make music and keep it to herself to listen to at home and not release it anywhere or . . . that she would just release music and not care if anyone bought it or not.

I wasn't exactly clear.

Michele
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
What do you think that means? Do you think she meant that she would just make music and keep it to herself to listen to at home and not release it anywhere or . . . that she would just release music and not care if anyone bought it or not.

I wasn't exactly clear.

Michele
I took it to mean that they would not release it. It seems to me quite a spiteful comment that was not meant to mean that they would release music independently.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought her reluctance to record with FM has a lot to do with how they used to undervalue her, the tensions that happen when working with Lindsey, how she feels her opinion doesn't count as much since she doesn't play an instrument. I know that's old stuff, but it comes to mind especially when she talks about how much she misses Christine.

FM also knows that Stevie is the big name of the band at this point in time. I'm not trying to make the issue black and white, ala "it's all their fault and not hers", but it could be at least one part of things.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Half the time I think it's more about the possibility of rejection than it is the money.
I'm back and forward on this. From this interview, taken on its own, I'd agree. But given that she's said plenty of times that it's not worth it because people will download it illegally I'm not so sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
You know? Lindsey has searched for collaboration with an outside producer, Mick John and Lindsey played their asses off to make new Macmusic. I really think she's not very respectful towards that work by talking this way. She may not want to record new Macmusic, but hey, there are three guys that already made a Fleetwood Mac album for 75 %.
If she backs out then then should add 2 or 3 Lindsey acoustic songs (Bel Air Rain, Time Precious Time, Not Too Late etc.) and release it as a Lindsey solo album or some new group name. I don't want them to wait around for ages on La Nicks.

Quote:

I wasn't exactly clear.

Michele
I took it to mean that she'd keep in for herself and not release it at all. But this might be what I wanted to understand it as. I didn't even consider the second possibility you mentioned. I hope she means that.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
FM also knows that Stevie is the big name of the band at this point in time. I'm not trying to make the issue black and white, ala "it's all their fault and not hers", but it could be at least one part of things.
And I would say that right now (as opposed to the eighties and nineties) that Stevie is the big draw on the stage, but not necessarily for an album. If FM released an album and Stevie was just on 3 songs and you had Christine and Lindsey on the others, I don't think the album would get any less publicity or have fewer sales than SYW did.

So, if they could conceivably record with Christine, they could have their new music out under the FM banner. They could tour (with Stevie singing live on 2 -3 of the new songs). They could have their cake and eat it too.
Not to mention the fact that if they did record with Christine, you wouldn't be able to keep Stevie away anyway. She would record. That's a certainty . . . but even if she did not, it would be a viable FM album. Just with her on Sad Angel, Without You and Miss Fantasy.

Tour contracts are already signed, so you have Stevie locked in for that. If the question is just finishing an album, there are other ways to solve that problem right around Stevie.

Michele
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If FM released an album and Stevie was just on 3 songs and you had Christine and Lindsey on the others, I don't think the album would get any less publicity or have fewer sales than SYW did.

So, if they could conceivably record with Christine, they could have their new music out under the FM banner. They could tour (with Stevie singing live on 2 -3 of the new songs). They could have their cake and eat it too.
Not to mention the fact that if they did record with Christine, you wouldn't be able to keep Stevie away anyway. She would record. That's a certainty . . . but even if she did not, it would be a viable FM album. Just with her on Sad Angel, Without You and Miss Fantasy.

Tour contracts are already signed, so you have Stevie locked in for that. If the question is just finishing an album, there are other ways to solve that problem right around Stevie.
yes. this is the main reason why i hope Christine does record with them while she's in LA, and may have been one of the main reasons that Mick went to get her NOW, as opposed to her coming out to the US at any other time. i think the boys are pulling all the stops to get that new album out, they even admitted some of that.

i agree also with people who were saying that SN has her reasons not wanting to record with FM and that's her prerogative. so that's just one more reason why it would be spectacular if Christine is interested to record with them - in that case there can be a legit Mac album and Stevie doesn't have to do anything more than she already did on those 3 songs. and they can release it whether or not SN thinks that first few released songs are "loved" enough.

(one problem might be that i think Lindsey truly does want to close the cycle and work with Stevie again... and he wrote those songs in her keys, with her singing on them in mind.)

i would also LOVE to see Christine on stage with them in Columbus (and maybe a few more dates!) on several songs, just like Lindsey came on during BTM tour. she is obviously very capable of doing it, looks to be in unbelievable shape (just check out how those jeans fit her!) physically and her voice sounds great! why not jam with the guys in front of arena audiences and experience all that thrill again!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love how Stevie Nicks' logic contradicts Stevie Nicks' logic. She used to go on and on about how when they went out with Rumours and did all Rumours stuff, they almost got booed off stage! Nobody wanted to hear GYOW! So if she had approached Rumours the same way she is approaching this, Rumours would have never been made. Le sigh... I just hope if they make music for "themselves" they at least put it out for the fans.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I love how Stevie Nicks' logic contradicts Stevie Nicks' logic. She used to go on and on about how when they went out with Rumours and did all Rumours stuff, they almost got booed off stage! Nobody wanted to hear GYOW! So if she had approached Rumours the same way she is approaching this, Rumours would have never been made.
I thought she meant that when they played all Rumours songs after the album was released? Some of the songs were being written before the album was recorded, but not all of them, so they couldn't have played the entire album in concert until after it was done, right?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyfan View Post
I think that she just really doesn't want to make new music with FM and so she's trying out excuses to get out of it. That might be as much a way of trying to get away from the manipulations as it is about the music. I think she wants to make another solo album.
You hit the nail on the head. Why the f did she make her solo album then? I don't think people were jumping up and down over her last solo album. She said she made the album because she felt creative and again and didn't give a crap if people bought it or not. She simply does NOT want to record with FM anymore.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Why the f did she make her solo album then? I don't think people were jumping up and down over her last solo album. She said she made the album because she felt creative and again and didn't give a crap if people bought it or not. She simply does NOT want to record with FM anymore.

I sooooooo want this to be true!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I would say that right now (as opposed to the eighties and nineties) that Stevie is the big draw on the stage, but not necessarily for an album. If FM released an album and Stevie was just on 3 songs and you had Christine and Lindsey on the others, I don't think the album would get any less publicity or have fewer sales than SYW did.
Well, do you think Mick is really gunning for Christine in order to lock Stevie in? If so it seems like they don't really want to work around SN during the recording process for whatever reason.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
Well, do you think Mick is really gunning for Christine in order to lock Stevie in? If so it seems like they don't really want to work around SN during the recording process for whatever reason.
read my post above. i think Lindsey wants to work with Stevie (to close the cycle and all that). but i think that all the boys want to get that FM album out one way or the other.

if they have Christine, than they can get it out - with or without Stevie.

having Christine gives them options and much less dependence on Stevie's whims.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It doesn't seem like a whim to me, it seems like Stevie has had this reluctance for a long time now. She wants Christine.

Since Christine doesn't want to tour long-term, would Stevie and Lindsey tour Christine's songs? Or would they just not put them on the setlist? Would they try to get it out before the tour starts (could they even??)? before it ends? after it ends?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think many posters are taking Stevie's comments almost personally, as if she is thumbing her nose at us or being a fickle diva. She's shrewd to the industry dynamics. Fleetwood Mac is without a label. This could be a negotiating ploy to score a guarantee from whatever label they eventually sign on to record under. There's generally MUCH more going on behind the scenes. There's a reason she's sticking to this "script" in every interview.