Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie the pianist

Hi everybody,

Have a listen to this:

I think that's Stevie playing piano. Doesn't it sound just gorgeous?

Don't know about anybody else, but I would LOVE to see Stevie play her own stuff more often. Obviously with Christine and Brett Tuggle, it's never going to happen in Fleetwood Mac. But why not at a solo show? She has done Rhiannon this way for VHS Storytellers.

I think she could nail Planets of the Universe live on piano, especially if she included the "defamatory" verse about Lindsey Buckingham.

Thoughts? Is she a closet pianist?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Hi everybody,

Have a listen to this:

I think that's Stevie playing piano. Doesn't it sound just gorgeous?

Don't know about anybody else, but I would LOVE to see Stevie play her own stuff more often. Obviously with Christine and Brett Tuggle, it's never going to happen in Fleetwood Mac. But why not at a solo show? She has done Rhiannon this way for VHS Storytellers.

I think she could nail Planets of the Universe live on piano, especially if she included the "defamatory" verse about Lindsey Buckingham.

Thoughts? Is she a closet pianist?

This isn't even the best version of this song. This is her standard plunking.

She doesn't play as well now as she used to. If you really want to hear her at her best playing piano, listen to the Sisters of the Moon demo. i think early on in FM, maybe because there were now more people around her (besides just Lindsey) who played instruments and played really well, she tried harder to be a better player. There was a time when she was attempting to play guitar onstage maybe for one song as well, but nothing seemed to come of it. Christine was quoted in a magazine saying that while Stevie wasn't a great player, she gave Chris a solid basis for understanding what she wanted on a song which helped Chris. She even said she was encouraging Stevie to play onstage even one song, and then Stevie could be known as a musician as well as a singer. But on the one hand Stevie is too aware of her limitations as a player and on the other hand, honestly, she's not dedicated enough to practice and do the hard (dull) repetitious work to hone her skill. She'd rather have fun. And then, in my opinion, she went into a phase of thinking everything she did was instant magic (a lot of drugs in those days) and being a bit to cocky about it. And now the time really has passed; she's not going to put the effort in now. It's sad, because honestly she could not play the song now the way she plays it on that recording. She can't play Sisters the same as on the demo either. She tried it once back during the Tusk tour and it was not good (in an interview). She plays a song over and over while writing it and gets a certain momentum and skill to it, and then it goes to the band and she never really plays it much again and loses what skill on it she had.

And now she writes to other people's tracks, so I honestly wonder how much music writing she's even doing anymore. You can only stretch those three chords so far. (She admits to this).

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-24-2018 at 04:17 PM..
Old 01-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
This isn't even the best version of this song. This is her standard plunking.

She doesn't play as well now as she used to. If you really want to hear her at her best playing piano, listen to the Sisters of the Moon demo. i think early on in FM, maybe because there were now more people around her (besides just Lindsey) who played instruments and played really well, she tried harder to be a better player. There was a time when she was attempting to play guitar onstage maybe for one song as well, but nothing seemed to come of it. Christine was quoted in a magazine saying that while Stevie wasn't a great player, she gave Chris a solid basis for understanding what she wanted on a song which helped Chris. She even said she was encouraging Stevie to play onstage even one song, and then Stevie could be known as a musician as well as a singer. But on the one hand Stevie is too aware of her limitations as a player and on the other hand, honestly, she's not dedicated enough to practice and do the hard (dull) repetitious work to hone her skill. She'd rather have fun. And then, in my opinion, she went into a phase of thinking everything she did was instant magic (a lot of drugs in those days) and being a bit to cocky about it. And now the time really has passed; she's not going to put the effort in now. It's sad, because honestly she could not play the song now the way she plays it on that recording. She can't play Sisters the same as on the demo either. She tried it once back during the Tusk tour and it was not good (in an interview). She plays a song over and over while writing it and gets a certain momentum and skill to it, and then it goes to the band and she never really plays it much again and loses what skill on it she had.

And now she writes to other people's tracks, so I honestly wonder how much music writing she's even doing anymore. You can only stretch those three chords so far. (She admits to this).
I totally agree that her piano playing now is not as good as it was in the past. Unlike your opinion, when I saw her play piano on SOTM from the 20/20 special recorded in a hotel room on the Tusk Tour, I was so moved by that. That moment in time inspired me to learn how to play piano. I gave up piano playing years ago so if I were to sit down and try to play something now, I wouldn't be able to. All through the 1970's, 80's and 90's I loved listening to the demos of her piano playing. Or watching her play piano on the youtube video from 1989 with her and the girls singing Doing The Best That I Can.
But yet just a couple of years ago Rolling Stone magazine released a video of Stevie playing Blue Water on the piano and I was so disappointed in her cluncky way of playing that, that right there and then I told myself I never wanted to see that video again! I know she must have played Blue Water beautifully on piano in the past but this version was such a let down. I felt the exact same way when they showed her playing Gypsy on the piano.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I totally agree that her piano playing now is not as good as it was in the past. Unlike your opinion, when I saw her play piano on SOTM from the 20/20 special recorded in a hotel room on the Tusk Tour, I was so moved by that. That moment in time inspired me to learn how to play piano. I gave up piano playing years ago so if I were to sit down and try to play something now, I wouldn't be able to. All through the 1970's, 80's and 90's I loved listening to the demos of her piano playing. Or watching her play piano on the youtube video from 1989 with her and the girls singing Doing The Best That I Can.
But yet just a couple of years ago Rolling Stone magazine released a video of Stevie playing Blue Water on the piano and I was so disappointed in her cluncky way of playing that, that right there and then I told myself I never wanted to see that video again! I know she must have played Blue Water beautifully on piano in the past but this version was such a let down. I felt the exact same way when they showed her playing Gypsy on the piano.
Yes.

I felt the way you are describing when I saw her trying to play Sisters in the 20/20 interview. Really nothing like the demo and she seemed (to me) kind of like she was fumbling to remember.

In her defense a bit, she HAS talked about taking lessons, so she's definitely thought about it, but then she always says that people around her, including Lindsey she points out, have told her that if she starts learning the rules of how to play it would start to limit how she writes because she frequently doesn't follow the "rules" in her natural playing. And this could impact her ability to write so she didn't take lessons and mess with her muse. I'd like to see her play something on the guitar, just once. She's said she wrote Landslide on the guitar, so let's hear it. It can't be any worse than her piano playing on that Gypsy clip on Rolling Stone. I bet she doesn't play guitar at all anymore...

ETA: Did you learn to play any Stevie songs on piano?? Was it hard to do?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Did you learn to play any Stevie songs on piano?? Was it hard to do?
Oh absolutely. SOTM was the first song I taught myself to play. I only took 14 real piano lessons and then quit cause I hated practicing the songs the teacher wanted me to play. LOL. I just wanted to learn how to read the sheet music so I could play all my favorite songs. I had a repertoire at the time. From memory which isn't what it used to be, I could play: Rooms on Fire, If I Were You, Little Lies,Talk To Me, Stand Back, Nightbird, Bella Donna, Kind of Woman, Sable on Blonde, Edgeof 17, Outside the Rain, Dreams, Mystified and a bunch more but the 2 songs I could play that impressed most people were Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi and Eight Days a Week by The Beatles.