User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I was at the CMAs and the Eagles were great! I'm also pleased with the new album. I love "Waiting in the Weeds" and "What Do I Do With My Heart" especially. The only songs I skip are "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture," "Fast Company," and, yes, "Long Road Out of Eden."

Way cool that you were at the CMAs!!

It just is interesting how the songs one person loves and/or skips could be 180 degrees apart from another person. The three you skip are the ones I look forward to hearing. And, although I don't SKIP it, I really don't care much for "What Do I Do With My Heart".

Anybody else think that Ringo should cover "Guilty Of The Crime"?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I definitely think the word "fabulous" has a strong association with a lot of Nicks' fans, and hope to hear Don & Glenn speak about the song's meaning one day. Fabuous, to me, just isn't as exclusive a word as, say, fergalicious. Glenn didn't have kids with his first wife from what I understand, although there seems to be a lot of (Lindsey's word?) acrimony there; ie, in concert Glenn, of late, dedicates the song "Lyin' Eyes" to his ex, whom he refers to as "Plantiff."

Rather than Stevie, since this album mostly seems to go for the broad generalizations, ("big business is bad," "we are destroying the environment") I almost think this song could be about today's culture in general. Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton . . . well, at least one of them has kids, although I don't know the situation of her leaving K Fed. Perhaps someone like these ladies fit the song.
That's true, although unlike Stevie and Lindsey, Glenn doesn't really seem to go for writing about personal experience most of the time (although he certainly does sometimes). He's more like Christine in that way. For instance, you have on Eden the song "What Do I Do With My Heart" which speaks of a guy getting dumped, but Glenn is happily married. His songs also seem to not follow the "broad generalization" theme - indeed, it takes a bit of stretching to get any of his songs on the album to apply to that. "You Are Not Alone," "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance," "What Do I Do With My Heart," "No More Cloudy Days," "It's Your World Now," "Somebody"... the notable exception being his instrumental "I Dreamed There Was No War."

However, Don's chorus could have been imagining a broader scope. My hypothesis is nothing more than a guess which I admit could be completely off-base. I doubt we will hear about any inspiration from him, though. The only time I have heard Don mention Stevie when talking about song inspiration was to state that "Witchy Woman" was definitely NOT about her!

P.S. Glenn actually tells two jokes about wives. As you noted, Tango, He dedicates Lyin' Eyes to "my first wife, Plaintiff." I think with that "Plaintiff" joke Glenn is just going for the laugh rather than trying to express his bitterness towards his first wife. I actually have a bootleg were Joe Walsh tells that joke in 1991! The credit card joke after Take It to the Limit goes like this - "This is what my wife calls the credit card song... Take It to the Limit!" Again, going for the laugh, as I doubt Mrs. Frey has to worry about spending THAT much money. His credit limit is probably in the millions - if he even has one!

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-15-2007 at 12:44 PM..
Old 11-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Way cool that you were at the CMAs!!

It just is interesting how the songs one person loves and/or skips could be 180 degrees apart from another person. The three you skip are the ones I look forward to hearing. And, although I don't SKIP it, I really don't care much for "What Do I Do With My Heart".

I hear Joe's wife, from whom he is currently separated, is an attorney. lol Frankie Miller actually wrote that song, and the royalties he gets from it are going to go a long way in helping pay his medical bills (he had a massive brain haemorrhage in 1994 which was devastatingly debilitating, but miraculously he has re-learned how to walk and talk to the degree where he is achieving a great deal of functionality).

It is funny how people can have such disparate tastes when it comes to song. It's all subjective! Such things really do call into question the notion that any song can truly be called "absolutely terrible" - someone out there probably likes it, lol. As far as Eden goes, the only song which seems to be garnering almost universal acclaim is "Waiting in the Weeds."

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-15-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Old 11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Interesting idea. Much more plausible than say, Stan Lynch playing on a certain Petty tune, but Ringo playing in the video! HAHA
Old 11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. The only songs I skip are "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture," "Fast Company," and, yes, "Long Road Out of Eden."
Just curious do you skip these songs because you don't like the way they sound or because they are somewhat critcal of Bush and the neo cons and their disasterous foreign policy?"Long Road Out of Eden in particular is a remarkable song that holds it's own with "Hotel California " and "The Last Resort " IMHO.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Just curious do you skip these songs because you don't like the way they sound or because they are somewhat critcal of Bush and the neo cons and their disasterous foreign policy?"Long Road Out of Eden in particular is a remarkable song that holds it's own with "Hotel California " and "The Last Resort " IMHO.
Fast Company has nothing to do with politics. Henley's falsetto grates on me.

Long Road Out of Eden is indeed political, but I don't see it as particularly partisan or preachy. I do, however, see it as overlong and inconsistent. Magnificent guitar solo into Middle Eastern music?! Way to kill a song.

Frail Grasp does grate me the wrong way lyrically. I find Henley's lyrics there to be so condescending I can barely stand it. Sneering at the regular guy discussing politics at the bar - stuff like that makes it hard for me to enjoy the song. The other thing I don't enjoy is how he pretty much is just talking instead of singing. I need a melody to interest me. It starts off funky, but we get to the verse and it's just blahblahblah. I remember reading a British review that said that Henley is so passionate about his lyrics in "Frail Grasp" that he apparently forgot about meter and rhyme. lol

Business As Usual is critical of Bush, but I like that one. Guess that blows the theory, eh?

Just curious, do you like those songs because you like the way they sound or because you are in agreement with them politically?

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-16-2007 at 12:00 AM..
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Just curious, do you like those songs because you like the way they sound or because you are in agreement with them politically?
The only one I really like alot out of the batch you mentioned is the title track it doesn't get boring even at over 10 minutes and is just a great piece of work sonically IMO.My other big favorites on the album are "Waiting in the Weeds" and "How Long" which are not political at all but match up with any of the classic Eagles singles.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Don Henley says....

"Let the chips fall where they may".

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi...ley/index.html

Lee

Last edited by Lee; 11-19-2007 at 10:38 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
"Let the chips fall where they may".

http:///www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Mus...ley/index.html

Lee
The link , it is...NO GOOD!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
The link , it is...NO GOOD!
Sorry, try it now.

Lee
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

In case anyone is interested, the Eagles are going to be featured on 60 Minutes this Sunday. There's a GREAT preview on the CBS site:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...ml?id=3523357n
Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ Can't wait for this on Sunday!! Thanks for the heads up!

Old 11-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenleyFan View Post
In case anyone is interested, the Eagles are going to be featured on 60 Minutes this Sunday. There's a GREAT preview on the CBS site:

Did you see what Glen Frey said? They were basically ready to close up shop, had it not been for this new album. So I guess it looks like we'll see another big tour out of the Eagles and that'll be "the end."
Old 11-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Did you see what Glen Frey said? They were basically ready to close up shop, had it not been for this new album. So I guess it looks like we'll see another big tour out of the Eagles and that'll be "the end."
So VERY not fair!!! I didn't see the interview or anything but....that makes me very, very sad. Although I'm really not surprised to hear that at all. The way I interpret "It's Your World Now" is really just a swansong type thing, like "Just in case we don't get around to saying goodbye again, here it is". I guess they are entitled...but still,

Waiting In The Weeds?? The popular vote winner?? Really?? I have an EXTREMELY clear video idea for it, but it's far from my favorite on the album, which would be (surprisingly, for such a Glenn/Don fan as me) Guilty Of The Crime, hands down. Helps that I'm going through something similar as what that song describes currently, though.

LOL "Eagles that didn't do" Stevie!!! Yes, I thought of her during Busy Being Fabulous as well. I actually *love* Fast Company and Frail Grasp, but I tend to like the most unpopular of Don's songs, lol. There is one song on there that I truly don't like, but the name escapes me right now (that sums up how I feel about it, really). Oh, "I Don't Want To Hear Any More". It's the only one I skip. "Somebody" is another favorite...it's so You Belong To The City/Smugglers Blues! And then there's the ever-lovely "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance", which I am still head over heels for.

I think that's a big theme of this album, though: To me, it sounds so much like combined solo efforts. Moreso than Say You Will did, even though we know that that's largely what SYW was, at least in Lindsey's case. And the odd thing is? This actually doesn't seem to have been combined solo efforts at all, considering the number of Henley-Frey collaborations. Strange. What Do I Do With My Heart reminds me a lot of Glenn's early ballads.

I adore this album overall....and may I add, was shocked and very happy to find that it was $11.88 here in Canada too, as opposed to the jacked-up price I expected! Yay CD's I can afford! Under The Skin was $25.99 here, and I had to rely on gift cards from others both times I bought it (first copy went away on tour, lol, had to replace it of course). This one was well-priced enough that I actually bought it for a friend of mine as well.

And that would be my 2 cents...

Follow me "on tour" this fall! www.ladylucky49.wordpress.com. Bloggin' the Seeds We Sow tour, from the view of a traveling fan.

http://baublesandbeadles.etsy.com ~*~Handmade Beaded Jewelry And Accessories

~~~The hurt that you feel makes you strong... Lindsey Buckingham~~~

Dancin' Across The USA: Lindsey Tour '06-'07
Ten shows. Ten thousand miles. My favorite song in the setlist. Hugs, kisses, and handshakes. Heaven.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenleyFan View Post

Thank you HenleyFan. I'll record it!