Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

slipkid: She only played organ or piano on any recording prior to "Kiln House".

That's what I always thought. If there was some surprise vocal track somewhere I would have loved to discover it.

slipkid: Sorry about Mission Bell, I forgot that was Spencer who was singing.

Easy to do. In the higher register, he sounds amazingly similar to Kirwan.

aleuzzi: This is true. In fact, her presence on Mr. Wonderful is arguably more substantial than it is on Kiln House.

I never really knew the extent of it on MW, probably because I don't spin that one up as often as I should. And then of course Jeremy is always sneaking his hands on the keys, so there's inevitable confusion when you don't put an attentative ear to it. Remember Oh Well? I guess we can all be thankful compilation notes occasionally surface, though there's a shortage of them around my place.

Christy was such a talented blues pianist, I know the guys all admired her abilities, Green leading the pack.

aleuzzi: On Kiln House, she sings harmony on Station Man.

She sings on more than that.

aleuzzi: I'm pretty sure she's the uncredited keyboardist on TMATTYD. I think Jeremy plays a more primitive piano on all the rest of the tunes.

If that's not her on TMATTYD, I don't know who it is. Jeremy wasn't bad either though, I wouldn't call his playing primitive by any means. A completely different style than Christie's, with more honky tonk elements infused. Most of what we hear on KH is JS. That production is every bit as much his as Danny's, he really shines throughout. But it's to DK's credit he was reined in a bit, and didn't go off the mocksong deep end. As it was, he was perfectly measured. I often wish they did a follow up, with Christy fully credited, but Jeremy's heart just wasn't in it. Of course they were all apprehensive, borderline gloomy, as to a future without PG.

BTW CM would not have remained uncredited on that project except for contractual litigation [CS] going on at the time preventing it.

aleuzzi: Her piano playing on the Green tunes is inspired, even more so than her playing with Chicken Shack, I think, because she's interacting with better players.

Me thinks you're onto something here, for sure. Actually Chicken Shack is a pale comparison to what the Mac could deliver, there is no real comparison. Some back in the day used to call them Chicken ****, but that might be carrying it too far. More of that had to do with Stan Webb (the mumbler bumbler, king of "What's that Stan?") than Perfect. She was universally liked - and generally preferred. But Webbie could entertain, if nothing else. wOOt wOOt

Last edited by snoot; 12-13-2008 at 06:02 PM..