The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Do you watch the Oscars?
Yes. I still watch. 2 28.57%
No. I canít stand these flakes. 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default The Oscars🖕🖕🖕🖕 who watches this crud?

I cannot watch these spoiled, entitled actors during award season. I havenít watched the Oscars in years. I was wondering how many people actually wet this anymore. Just curios.

Last edited by Jondalar : 03-02-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:31 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,799
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I cannot watch these spoiled, entitled actors during award season. I havenít watched the Oscars in years. I was wondering how many people actually wet this anymore. Just curios.
i watch all award shows and red carpets, at least in the background while doing something else - the globes, grammys, amas you name it! i find them entertaining. lots of botox and 70 yo people looking like they are 30, just like some of our favorite FMers. some good songs some bad, some great movies, some i don't care about or will never watch. some good jokes others bombing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i watch all award shows and red carpets, at least in the background while doing something else - the globes, grammys, amas you name it! i find them entertaining. lots of botox and 70 yo people looking like they are 30, just like some of our favorite FMers. some good songs some bad, some great movies, some i don't care about or will never watch. some good jokes others bombing.
Whatever floats your boat. I just don’t like when they preach politics to people.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2018, 08:31 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Whatever floats your boat. I just donít like when they preach politics to people.
Do you really not like people preaching politics or is it just people that preach politics that you don't agree with?
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2018, 12:33 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default

I guess this years Oscars was the lowest rated ever. Like 20% Below last year. No wonder.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2018, 05:08 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,301
Default

You could not pay me to watch the Oscars. I just think its the most boring show in the world. 4 hours of mostly awards no one cares about. Now they have pre-shows that go on for hours about what people are wearing. I have no interest in any of this.
I have always believed its not the acting job but most times its the role being portrayed that gets the actor the award. But that is just MHO.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:16 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Do you really not like people preaching politics or is it just people that preach politics that you don't agree with?
when someone watches an award show or the NFL, they are watching it for entertainment, not to preached at by some self-appointed, spoiled butthole.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 AM
RudieCantFail's Avatar
RudieCantFail RudieCantFail is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 51
Default

I may not agree with most of the actors' politics, but I don't mind if they speak their piece. If they don't say anything, then I can't criticize it or critically think about it.

The beauty of free speech is that you get to criticize what they say. I don't believe in telling people to shut up and dribble or act. If they spew out stuff that you don't particularly like, then don't listen to them or don't watch their stuff. They have a right to speak and you have a right to criticize them or just don't listen to them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
I may not agree with most of the actors' politics, but I don't mind if they speak their piece. If they don't say anything, then I can't criticize it or critically think about it.

The beauty of free speech is that you get to criticize what they say. I don't believe in telling people to shut up and dribble or act. If they spew out stuff that you don't particularly like, then don't listen to them or don't watch their stuff. They have a right to speak and you have a right to criticize them or just don't listen to them.
Yep, and that's why I'm not watching the Oscars or NFL anymore. They can speak their mind all they want, but not on my dime. They are trying to shove their opinions on people because they think they have a captive audience. It's entertainment, not a political rally. You know that. Everyone knows that. The NFL and the Oscars have lost millions of viewers because of it and it's just going to get worse.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
I may not agree with most of the actors' politics, but I don't mind if they speak their piece. If they don't say anything, then I can't criticize it or critically think about it.

The beauty of free speech is that you get to criticize what they say. I don't believe in telling people to shut up and dribble or act. If they spew out stuff that you don't particularly like, then don't listen to them or don't watch their stuff. They have a right to speak and you have a right to criticize them or just don't listen to them.
By the way, it's not FREE speech, if I'm paying for something I don't want and didn't ask for. Talk politics on your own time, not on my dime and not on my time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-11-2018, 04:14 AM
RudieCantFail's Avatar
RudieCantFail RudieCantFail is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 51
Default

Yeah, I'm aware of free speech being limited to what the government can and cannot prohibit. What are you paying for exactly? The opportunity cost? Don't answer this, I honestly don't care.

You know what you can do? You can DVR these shows and just skip over what you don't like. Oh wait, using the DVR still counts for the advertisers, so are you still not going to watch? Fine, good on ya.

You know, if they don't talk, you don't know how 'wrong' they are in your view. What do you think Hollywood is? They've been preaching the liberal message in their Best Picture winner choices for practically the last decade. The winner is either a celebration of Hollywood or the actor or it's preaching a liberal message. Argo was practically Hollywood saves the day and The Artist was a celebration of the Silent Era. Don't get me started on the rest of whatever has won. At this point, their selection of winners is laughable that I don't hold any movie choices that they've made in the last decade in high regard. Until they start awarding Best Picture to films that people actually watched or that didn't preach a message to your face, I will start to respect the Academy once again. I like their picks for the 1970s the most.

Also, this year's ceremony was almost 4 hours. That's ridiculous. Just record the thing and skip over the parts that you don't like or listen to Ben Shapiro's podcast for the 'highlights.'
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of free speech being limited to what the government can and cannot prohibit. What are you paying for exactly? The opportunity cost? Don't answer this, I honestly don't care.

You know what you can do? You can DVR these shows and just skip over what you don't like. Oh wait, using the DVR still counts for the advertisers, so are you still not going to watch? Fine, good on ya.

You know, if they don't talk, you don't know how 'wrong' they are in your view. What do you think Hollywood is? They've been preaching the liberal message in their Best Picture winner choices for practically the last decade. The winner is either a celebration of Hollywood or the actor or it's preaching a liberal message. Argo was practically Hollywood saves the day and The Artist was a celebration of the Silent Era. Don't get me started on the rest of whatever has won. At this point, their selection of winners is laughable that I don't hold any movie choices that they've made in the last decade in high regard. Until they start awarding Best Picture to films that people actually watched or that didn't preach a message to your face, I will start to respect the Academy once again. I like their picks for the 1970s the most.

Also, this year's ceremony was almost 4 hours. That's ridiculous. Just record the thing and skip over the parts that you don't like or listen to Ben Shapiro's podcast for the 'highlights.'
I’m paying for cable to watch these pieces of entertainment. Not to be preached to and made to feel bad because I don’t share their political views and I don’t own a DVR. Nobody appointed these entertainers as experts on social justice and a lot of their movies promote violence and other stuff. Hell Woody Allen and a Roman Polanski are pedophiles. They are a bunch of hypocrites.

But you are even worse. You know what they are doing is wrong but pretend it isn’t because you agree with their political message. Everyone knows politics doesn’t belong in Award Shows or in Sports. That’s not what people are paying for. Actors and Athletes aren’t known for their intellectual ability anyway. Why would anyone listen to them?

The bottom line is people pay for entertainment to forget their problems, not have it shoved in their face by self righteous, spoiled, rich liberals who don’t live like the rest us of do anyway.

But you already know this and so does everyone else.

Last edited by Jondalar : 03-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I’m paying for cable to watch these pieces of entertainment. Not to be preached to and made to feel bad because I don’t share their political views and I don’t own a DVR. Nobody appointed these entertainers as experts on social justice and a lot of their movies promote violence and other stuff. Hell Woody Allen and a Roman Polanski are pedophiles. They are a bunch of hypocrites.

But you are even worse. You know what they are doing is wrong but pretend it isn’t because you agree with their political message. Everyone knows politics doesn’t belong in Award Shows or in Sports. That’s not what people are paying for. Actors and Athletes aren’t known for their intellectual ability anyway. Why would anyone listen to them?

The bottom line is people pay for entertainment to forget their problems, not have it shoved in their face by self righteous, spoiled, rich liberals who don’t live like the rest us of do anyway.

But you already know this and so does everyone else.
But do you have the same views if you went to a Kid Rock or Ted Nugent concert? Each spends endless time on political rants. You say they are entertainers and are paid to entertain. Are you against the Hollywood just because they are liberal? Hollywood was and always will be liberal. I could care less. If I went to a Ted Nugent concert I could care less about his political speeches too. I don't get into silencing people for their views or beliefs. The worst censorship is when radio, media, and country music artists took aim at the Dixie Chicks for one comment that was barely political. They went out to destroy their careers. Radio stations no longer played Dixie Chicks and they were banned from events. Even the Country Music awards took prime time aim at them. That is so wrong.
John Fogerty is/was a political activist. In 2004 he went overboard in attacking George Bush at all his concerts. And you know what? George Bush had John Fogerty songs programmed into his own Ipod and considered him one of his favorites.
You must learn to separate your political views from everything in life. There is a full world of experiences out there. There is tons of liberal hypocrisy. But there is also conservative hypocrisy. Nugent has said way worse things about Obama than the Dixie Chicks said about Bush. Nugent was not banned from radio like the Dixie Chicks were. Nugent still has a career but the Chicks do not.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life : 03-11-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-2018, 10:59 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But do you have the same views if you went to a Kid Rock or Ted Nugent concert? Each spends endless time on political rants. You say they are entertainers and are paid to entertain. Are you against the Hollywood just because they are liberal? Hollywood was and always will be liberal. I could care less. If I went to a Ted Nugent concert I could care less about his political speeches too. I don't get into silencing people for their views or beliefs. The worst censorship is when radio, media, and country music artists took aim at the Dixie Chicks for one comment that was barely political. They went out to destroy their careers. Radio stations no longer played Dixie Chicks and they were banned from events. Even the Country Music awards took prime time aim at them. That is so wrong.
John Fogerty is/was a political activist. In 2004 he went overboard in attacking George Bush at all his concerts. And you know what? George Bush had John Fogerty songs programmed into his own Ipod and considered him one of his favorites.
You must learn to separate your political views from everything in life. There is a full world of experiences out there. There is tons of liberal hypocrisy. But there is also conservative hypocrisy. Nugent has said way worse things about Obama than the Dixie Chicks said about Bush. Nugent was not banned from radio like the Dixie Chicks were. Nugent still has a career but the Chicks do not.
This post is ridiculous. Do you live in a bubble? Do you ever get on Yahoo or watch the nightly news or Late Night tv or the View? We are being doused daily by negative things about Trump. It started the night he won the election and hasnít let up. To compare Ted Nugent who hasnít even popular since the 1970s to the Dixie Chicks is ridiculous. The Dicie Chicks went over seas and threw their country under the bus. They used their free speech and people used their right to boycott. Ted Nugent still has a career but the Chicks do not? They do have career. Itís just not what it was so they are in a self imposed exile.

Who do conservatives have - Kid Rock, Scott Baio, Pat Sayjack and a few others versus everyone else in Hollywood. Hollywood canít separate life from politics. That all they talk about.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
...

I don't get into silencing people for their views or beliefs...

Yet you tried to silence me for my beliefs.
And I didn't even say the things you claimed.

Note, this is not a personal attack. It's just
the truth.

Do you stand by your statement from above?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee
$799.99
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood MICK FLEETWOOD Signed "Bare Trees" Vinyl, LP Fleetwood Mac psa/dna #ad60172
$200.0
MICK FLEETWOOD Signed Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks
$149.99
Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks pictureSomething Big * by Mick Fleetwood Band (CD, 2004, Tallman) Signed
$149.99
Something Big * by Mick Fleetwood Band (CD, 2004, Tallman) Signed picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved