Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Coldplay's fourth and latest album came out a few days ago. Being an admitted fan, I purchased it immediately on iTunes. Though its doomed to suffer a Tusk-ish fate for the risks the band took, the album is still very good. I highly recommend it to everyone. I can post a full review if anyone wants me to.

I would actually say for any serious music collectors, buy this on vinyl. I collect records pretty avidly so that's the version I picked up in addition to the iTunes purchase the day it came out. Frankly, I wish I hadnt bought it on iTunes. The record, which sounds way better than digital, also included a CD version of the album inside. Two for one!!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not a huge Coldpay fan here but when I read Eno had produced it that sparked my interest then I saw the video for Violet Hill and really liked the sound .I bought the CD and have been listening to it for the last two days it is a strong mature album that actually works as an album ..no small accomplishment for these times .Can someone pleae give La Nicks Brian's phone number?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love these guys... and I really like this album.... To me they still sound like Coldplay, so I don't think there's that much risk taking or departure... But then again, I don't analyse things like that too much, I just know when I like the sound of something, and this I do.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I love these guys... and I really like this album.... To me they still sound like Coldplay, so I don't think there's that much risk taking or departure... But then again, I don't analyse things like that too much, I just know when I like the sound of something, and this I do.
ditto I want to see them live soooo bad.

Interview released today from coldplay.com:

Hello Chris. How are things?
Well, it's quite a nerve-wracking time, but it's also tremendously exciting. We've finished the album, it's been released, we've decided what some singles are and we're in the process of making videos. We've also finished planning our actual tour concert, which is a good feeling.

How much do the band control that planning?
A thousand percent. We think about where we're gonna play and what mix of old and new songs we'll have. We think about reinterpreting songs and how we can make the journey of a concert as exciting as possible. And basically we try to make something that's as entertaining as any other night out; we are trying to compete with Cats and Starlight Express. Our one goal is to make sure that people who spend their money get entertained. We think about that a lot. We think about how every song looks and what the ideal place to be is and who will see this best from which place. We probably get a bit too obsessed with it, to be honest.

How long have you been planning the show?
For about four months. But the live side of things always affects how the album sounds. You're thinking, "What does our concert need? What's it missing?" We felt this time that we'd like something that's louder and something that's heavier and something that's more emotional and something where we sing lower and something where everyone can sing along. We've got a lot of singalongs this time, actually.

Can you hear people singing along while you're playing?
Totally. I live for the sound of people singing together.

So, presumably you have lots of exciting plans for the shows which you can't tell us about yet?
Oh, I'll tell you everything. For starters, we've got some incredible balls. And I mean that in the most technological of senses. If you come to our concert, you'll see the most magical balls you've ever seen. In fact, they're the most magic balls since John Lee Hooker had about 50 kids. And ours is the first concert in the world to feature them.

Where did you get these magic balls?
We found them in this place in the north of England that makes clever things. They're part of our continuing mission to make a big room feel as small as possible.

Is that why you play arenas rather than stadiums?
Yeah, we're not a stadium band yet. I think we're still trying to figure out how to make a room full of 10,000 people as exciting as possible, let alone a stadium. To me an arena feels like the perfect size canvas, so we're trying to master that.

Are you thinking about set lists already?
Yeah, we have our set list 90% ready to go. We know where we're going to play which hits and which misses. And what might go down better in Detroit or Philadelphia than it might in Prague or London.

Do you really think about tour plans to that degree?
Yeah, of course. Then once we have some ideas, we hire as many talented people as we can to make them work and be better than we'd thought of them. We care pretty strongly about playing concerts.

And you're not one of these bands who are too proud to play your hits?
No, we'll play as many hits as we can. Although in some places we only really have half of a hit. So we might play Clocks nine times in certain places. And then Fix You 12 times. And then finish off with an encore of Yellow 27 times.

Once you've recorded a new song, is it difficult to learn to play it live?
Not this time, because we spent so much time recording live. And we wouldn't have finished the record unless we thought it would make the concert better. We're still searching for the perfect hour and a half evening out. And given that we can't recreate Terminator 2 everywhere, we've got to come up with something new.

Do you decide your outfits too?
Totally. This will actually be the first Coldplay tour where the clothes are home-made by the band. When we put them on, we feel like we're in a proper little gang.

You've got a lot of shows coming up in the next few months. Does it feel daunting looking at your diary?
No, it just feels like a great big challenge. The time I feel most alive is when we're playing. It's the only time that my head makes any sense.

Does it still feel like that 30 gigs into a tour?
It feels the same after 230 gigs. We can't wait to get on the road. Oh, and we're also hoping to do this thing where we give away a song with every ticket. We have this song called The Goldrush, which Will sings. We want to play it as part of the show, so we'd like to give it away with the ticket. That way the only people that know that song will be the people coming to the concerts.

So they'll be able to sing along.
Exactly! I think Will's gonna need all the help he can get, to be honest. He doesn't love me for making him be the lead singer for a song. But I think now's the tour to do it.

Will he sing the song from behind his drum kit?
That's a surprise.

Ah, so you're not giving everything away.
There are lots of surprises, including butterflies and painted drums and lots of colour and probably some things we haven't even thought of yet. We're just totally focused on making this tour as great as it can possibly be.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"The Hour" which is a show up here in Canada had a full hour interview with the band in their studio in London... It was good... 6 of the interview videos are up on The Hour's site.

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/videosearc...words=coldplay
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually...I downloaded the song Viva La Vida. It's the first time I have noticed Coldplay and their music is growing on me. I think the album will do very well.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboles View Post
Actually...I downloaded the song Viva La Vida. It's the first time I have noticed Coldplay and their music is growing on me. I think the album will do very well.
It will likely do less well than their previous albums unless they can pick up a new fanbase to replace the teenyboppers they will lose but I guess I'm one of the new middle aged ones myself so who knows.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Their album is currently on target to sell between 700,000 and 750,000 in the US this week - which is in line with what they sold opening week for their last album, which was 737,000 in the first week.

At itunes, they've also broke records. Jack Johnson had the previous record with 140,000 downloads in his first week, Coldplay broke that record on the first day it was available - they are predicted to have about 200,000 in downloads for the week.

In the UK, they sold 302,074 in 72 hours - which is outstanding!

So I think it's safe to say their fanbase is still intact.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Their album is currently on target to sell between 700,000 and 750,000 in the US this week - which is in line with what they sold opening week for their last album, which was 737,000 in the first week.

At itunes, they've also broke records. Jack Johnson had the previous record with 140,000 downloads in his first week, Coldplay broke that record on the first day it was available - they are predicted to have about 200,000 in downloads for the week.

In the UK, they sold 302,074 in 72 hours - which is outstanding!

So I think it's safe to say their fanbase is still intact.
without a doubt its intact. so intact that they're able to get away with an album where two of the songs have two songs in them. the albums all over the board, at least in a coldplay sense. the fanbase strength is what makes it possible.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool I think...

I'll give them a try since I have none of their previous releases in music library...I'll let y'all know how I feel when I hear this release.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Registered

I liked them better when they were called U2.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Listened to a few tracks and I hear the U2 comparison...Not too bad for that genre of music, but something I dont see myself playing on a daily basis.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

the biggest difference between coldplay and u2 is that coldplay will never be accurately given the title: Most overrated band of all time.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbbyStew86 View Post
the biggest difference between coldplay and u2 is that coldplay will never be accurately given the title: Most overrated band of all time.
Give them time... they're already the most overrated band of their generation
Old 07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I am not usually an uber fan of covers but me likey this one: