User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
PS: Is he still receiving the royalties of all Stand Back versions??
my understanding is that Prince is uncredited for whatever arranging/producing/composing (not sure which) work he did on Stand Back - so therefore would not be receiving royalties.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The first dozens of times I listened to GAG, I thought: what an annoying generic rock tune. And then finally, I was just in the zone of the album, and I suddenly realized: I was on a friggin rocket ship to the moon! It sends me everytime now. No generic rock song has a second half like GAG. In fact, I can't think of the last time I felt like that during a rock song (ok... MAYBE certain live performances of "Come").

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Junior Ledgie

In my humble defense I never said Lindsey or Stevie didnt rock anymore. That was the other dude

I did say I felt that LINDSEY although still making AWESOME music, is not being as innovative anymore.

Now that could be down to the fact he doesnt have the budget to make complex records anymore. If that's the case, I understand.

I listened to In Your Dreams again. It's a good album but very flawed like Shangri-La. I dont care for the tune inspired by Twilight. And a couple of other ones feel half-finished to me. Otherwise I enjoy the album but I wouldnt put it up against Stevie's first two solo albums which are classics or near it.

I dont know how many people here have heard of Daniel Lanois but I would love for him to work with Lindsey or the Mac. He is the guy who produced U2'S Joshua, Achtung, Bob Dylan Oh Mercy, TIme Out of Mind, Wiliie Nelson Teatro, Emmylou Harris Wrecking Ball, or the latest Le Noise by Neil Young.

I love his production work. And he always seems to bring the best out of his artists. He is a musician and songwriter himself which I'm sure helps him with other artists. BTW his solo albums are true gems including Acadie. i highly recommend them or any of the records I mentioned that he produced to anyone. They're great freakin' albums
Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Tusk is the best album ever recorded by anyone.

It breathes 5 and maybe even 6 decennia of popmusic, it's as much inspired by the sixties and seventies as it is by punk and new wave. It throws it's shadow over the alt singersongwriters of the nineties and 00's too. contemporary bands like Tame Impala are directly influenced by it and I'm pretty sure there's more to come in the next eight years.

People who are irritated when something is deliberately brought as an artistic, alternative product will never agree with me. So be it. It's THE album that bonds the popworld with the alternative world.

And therefore...

Tusk is the best album ever recorded by anyone.
ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzz!

Gimme XTC's Oranges & Lemons ANY day! Even Buckingham's own Out Of The Cradle. Tusk is Lindsey's "yank job"...took Stevie & Christine's good material and just wanked on top of it all.

I STILL STAND ON MY PREMISE THAT BOTH BUCKINGHAM AND NICKS SHOULD'VE GONE SOLO AFTER THE TUSK TOUR and stopped holding Fleetwood Mac hostage to the insane!!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Gimme XTC's Oranges & Lemons ANY day! Even Buckingham's own Out Of The Cradle. Tusk is Lindsey's "yank job"...took Stevie & Christine's good material and just wanked on top of it all.
Isn't that what he always does though? Say You Will is a wank-feast!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

List time!

My 10 Fav Albums OF ALL TIME!

1. Tusk (1979), Fleetwood Mac
2. Siren (1975), Roxy Music
3. Rubber Soul (1965), The Beatles
4. Bad Girls (1979), Donna Summer
5. Remain In Light (1980), Talking Heads
6. Very (1993), Pet Shop Boys
7. Fear of a Black Planet (1990), Public Enemy
8. Cupid & Psyche 85 (1985), Scritti Politti
9. You Are The Quarry (2004), Morrissey
10. Sticky Fingers (1971), The Rolling Stones

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I STILL STAND ON MY PREMISE THAT BOTH BUCKINGHAM AND NICKS SHOULD'VE GONE SOLO AFTER THE TUSK TOUR and stopped holding Fleetwood Mac hostage to the insane!!
Well, they did sorta... I mean they both put out solo albums in '81. And, wasn't there always the talk or the assumption the band was broken up at that point? Sounds like the heavy handed management led to a lot of the splintering within the group anyway. But, I think burnout is inevitable for any artist. And, they are always going to be doomed to try to recreate what the public really liked - and what made everybody a lot of money.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

chili (and all who are getting upset in this thread).. do you know that writing in uppercase means you are screaming? I don't know why we get that mad for a discussion about albums. I do think Tusk is far from perfect. I just like the album, I like more Rumours, I don't think the arguments (about Tusk) I have read in this thread are valid, cause.. with all respect, they just came from fans, as I am (so I don't need to convince anybody Rumours is better, cause is just better for me)... but all of that doesn't make scream or say "zzzz".. come on is just music, we are not arguing about our mothers, religion, politics, etc. to get that upset.

If GreenMagic thinks Tusk is a perfect album and shackin'up thinks Tusk the best album ever recorded by anyone, good for them.. and good for shackin'up cause he has the privilege of have listened all the albums in the whole wide world .. Then you see my point is that I can take all those arguments so seriously. They just come from fans. As I am, a fan. So I'm not trying to belittle or underrate those reasons, nor trying to offend anybody, but also I can't overrate those. They are just opinions, not evidences or proof.

Last edited by Villavic; 08-10-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My 11 Fav Albums OF ALL TIME!

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
Tango in the Night, Fleetwood Mac
Picture Book, Simply Red
Discography, Pet Shop Boys
A Night at the Opera, Queen
Wish you were her, Pink Floyd
Live and More, Donna Summer
Paris, Supertramp
Time, ELO
Cloud Nine, George Harrison

And there are several soundtrack albums I love, like Empire Strikes Back, Lion King and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
chili (and all who are getting upset in this thread).. do you know that writing in uppercase means you are screaming? .
Of course I know. My all-caps was intentional and with an obvious purpose.
Not exactly an internet newbie here, ya know.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Junior Ledgie

For the record, I said that Tusk was a perfect album for the BN lineup. It is NOT the perfect album of all time.

Hey Truefaith77, awesome list. Liked your choices both strange and unexpected. Here's my still developing one though not definitive. It's mostly based on the fact I can listen to them all the time and never tire of them.

1. The Stooges Fun House - Best Rock and Roll album ever for no thrills rockin'
2. The Byrds Notorious Byrd Brothers
3. The Stone Roses Debut album
4. Roxy Music For Your Pleasure/Avalon - (Sorry couldn't give either up)
5. Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy (Along with the songs he left off the album which can be found on Bootleg Series Vol 1-3 and Tell Tale Signs (Box Set)
6. Bruce Springsteen Nebraska (along with outtakes that can be found on Tracks)
7. Motorhead Ace of Spades (Burnt out on title track but rest of album is perfection.
8. The Sundays Blind
9. New Order Substance
10. Marshall Crenshaw Field Day. (If you like power pop like The Raspberries, this 80's album is a masterpiece.)
10+ - Son House - The 1965 Recordings. One of the most underrated and greatest soulful blues singers. Jack White agrees obviously.

If anyone posts a list of their greatest albums that have come out in last 2 years will be happy to oblige with mine.

BTW Tusk isnt the greatest album ever. But for fleetwood Mac yes. Although Then Play On from the Peter Green lineup sort of tops it.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My 11 Fav Albums OF ALL TIME!

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
Tango in the Night, Fleetwood Mac
Picture Book, Simply Red
Discography, Pet Shop Boys
A Night at the Opera, Queen
Wish you were her, Pink Floyd
Live and More, Donna Summer
Paris, Supertramp
Time, ELO
Cloud Nine, George Harrison

And there are several soundtrack albums I love, like Empire Strikes Back, Lion King and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Dark Side of the Moon, Picture Book, Discography & Paris????
Man, you're the Best!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'm gonna find my huge rock to climb under when I say the following and keep in mind it's just my dumb opinion.

I've never gotten into the Roger Waters line up of Pink Floyd. Wait! Wait! Before I'm stoned to death, hear me out.

I like the Syd Barrett line up of Floyd. As to me it was musically inventive without being overly pretentious. I always thought Roger Waters stuff was too prog-rock. His lyrics strike me as trying too hard.

Where Barrett's lyrics were witty, poetic, childlike, surreal while coming off effortless. I felt the music with the Barrett lineup didn't meander, but still dug deep and was interesting.

Again, that is just my opinion. If you like Roger Waters more power to ya. I do think David Gilmour is a great guitar player though for what it's worth.

BTW who here would honestly abstain from seeing the mac next year if you know in advance the setlist will be Rumours heavy? Even if you love Rumours, you got to be sick of hearing it by now.

Even Van Halen who I used to love, but now despise (because of Eddie V screwing Michael Anthony over) is playing obscurer tracks live. I dont understand why the Mac underestimates it's audience's taste.

I think most would be happy if they played a lot of stuff off Tusk instead of playing one or two tunes from there. Or even play stuff besides the hits off Mirage, Tango, or Say You Will.

Or even the Buckingham Nicks album. I really like that album. Would love to hear it live. I just wish The Mac would stop treating their fans like The Eagles do theirs. (Bear in mind though I can't stand The Eagles, however I do like Don Henley's solo work)
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMagic View Post
I'm gonna find my huge rock to climb under when I say the following and keep in mind it's just my dumb opinion.

BTW who here would honestly abstain from seeing the mac next year if you know in advance the setlist will be Rumours heavy? Even if you love Rumours, you got to be sick of hearing it by now. Or even the Buckingham Nicks album. I really like that album. Would love to hear it live. I just wish The Mac would stop treating their fans like The Eagles do theirs. (Bear in mind though I can't stand The Eagles, however I do like Don Henley's solo work)
Nope. I don't care if it is popular on this forum or not. I listened to it in 1977 and still listen to it to this day, very often, and could listen to FM play those songs live everynight until I die. For me, I love the music and what the songs have to say. I appreciate the songs totally on their own merits as songs and couldn't care less how many times they've been played. I don't let airplay numbers or sales figures get in the way. I get the impression that people are "down" on Rumours because of the sales and overkill airplay and live performances, and not because they are looking purely at the songs themselves, outside of the sales context. But try pretending that Rumours didn't sell well and really listen to the songs. Don't blame the art for what "the machine" did to it.

But hey, ya know, I also love Welcome to The Room Sara and When I See You Again, so I guess I'm in my own little world anyway.

Last edited by seekerj; 08-15-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Junior Ledgie

Seekerj-

I never said the songs were bad from Rumours. It's a good album although I took a long time to admit that.

I'm just burnt on Rumours. But heck, I'm sick of The Beatles and I love them. It's just hearing the constant rotation on radio along with grocery stores, restaurants can numb ya on a band.

Unless it's Hysteria, (title song) I dont really wanna hear Def Leppard ever again. They played Pour Some Sugar On Me one too many times at Bars/Clubs. I used to go out a lot a year ago, so that is all I would hear.

BTW am I the only one who thinks bars suck at playing 80's music? They play the basic really well-known stuff. But dont dig any deeper. I've complained about their djs before but it doesn't help these peeps were born in late 80's. So they only have a basic knowledge of 80's hits.

Sorry, I see people complaining about being sick of 80's revival nights and that's cause the DJs are terrible at playing lesser known stuff.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. I cant in good faith pay almost 300 bucks to hear Rumours live again. It might be a good deal for those who haven't seen the mac live. But to paraphrase Lindsey, I'm never goin' back again..