Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When we were all here, years back, discussing Stevie's comments about people stealing her music online, I never felt that she meant us then either.

Maybe I'm wrong, but through everything else she's ever said -- both publicly to the media, and privately to fans -- I get the feeling she knows we're as protective of her music as she is.

(By the way -- I love the term "focused fans." Sounds so much nicer than "diehards!")
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I do often wonder what it is that keeps Stevie from just quitting Fleetwood Mac. Does she just want to tour with them? Tours are certainly lucrative, especially if you make your fans wait for three years at a time. Anyway, I know she's said she feels loyal to Fleetwood Mac and that it probably represented a dream that's hard to let go for a dreamer like her, but if it causes her more pain than joy, why bother. But I'm sure if she tried to quit Mick would make it a bit of a pain. I do believe what he says about her being a good bandmate, IOW a team player, but she's a team player who ultimately ends up resenting a lot of things (rightly or wrongly), it just seems like a lot of unnecessary unhappiness.

(I'm not saying I do or don't want her to quit, that's her choice AFAIAC.)
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
I do often wonder what it is that keeps Stevie from just quitting Fleetwood Mac. Does she just want to tour with them?
Yes, I think she wants to tour. Not only because they're lucrative, but FM tours are exciting and still have a bit of that allure from the old days. Playing the Staples Center can make you feel like Queen for a Day -- or Robert Plant for a Day, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
When we were all here, years back, discussing Stevie's comments about people stealing her music online, I never felt that she meant us then either.

Maybe I'm wrong, but through everything else she's ever said -- both publicly to the media, and privately to fans -- I get the feeling she knows we're as protective of her music as she is.
I get the feeling that she thinks focused fans create a market for the stuff that artists don't get paid for, like the clamor over My Heart.

I've seen the argument that you made about us being the ones who buy several copies of things, one to save unopened, one for the car, one to play at home, etc. in many posts, but it was usually an argument being made hoping that she would change her stance.

Michele
Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In other words, she's only in it for the fame and fortune, not the artistic merit. Good to know.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, she's into her solo work for artistic merit. To be honest the same has seemed at least somewhat true of Lindsey Buckingham too, based on his big-machine-little-machine speeches. I've wanted to know for a while if anyone in the band still needs Fleetwood Mac for a creative oulet (as vs either money or nostalgia/emotional healing).
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
In other words, she's only in it for the fame and fortune, not the artistic merit. Good to know.
I've never understood why, for so many fans, it has to be an either/or proposition. She's worked damned hard to be acknowledged for her songwriting talents, and continues to write to this day. Her desire to also make money doesn't negate that.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 02-18-2013 at 12:48 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she's into her solo work for artistic merit. To be honest the same has seemed at least somewhat true of Lindsey Buckingham too, based on his big-machine-little-machine speeches. I've wanted to know for a while if anyone in the band still needs Fleetwood Mac for a creative oulet (as vs either money or nostalgia/emotional healing).
With Lindsey, I think it's a difference in how he approaches projects. He's been publicly lobbying hard for a new record and wants to be more collaborative with Stevie.

Other than that, John's the only one I can think of.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I've never understood why, for so many fans, it has to be an either/or proposition. She's worked damned hard to be acknowledged for her songwriting talents, and continues to write to this day. Her desire to also make money doesn't negate that.
For me, I think it's that I'm around people who put out music without compromising their artistic visions, regardless of how much a records sells. And, at least one of those guys has written considerably more songs than Stevie could dream of writing, and he definitely doesn't pray to the hit gods.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To play devil's advocate, I've never heard people talk about how hard it is to work with Stevie as much as how hard it is (or could be, anyway) to work with Lindsey. I know he has worked hard to overcome a lot of demons, but who knows, there might still be issues. If the process is likely to be just plain unpleasant for Stevie, I can see why she'd need a greater incentive, as someone said above, to balance things out and make it more worthwhile for her. Christine would help. Production of her songs that she actually liked would help. Interactions that didn't rub salt in old wounds would help. Otherwise, if it's artistic merit she wants, she has her solo career for that.

Stevie seems to love to collaborate, with anyone and everyone but the Fleetwood Mac guys it seems.

(And I'm still not sure that means Lindsey wants this new record for purely artistic purposes, but I'm sure it's not black and white for anyone involved.)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For me, I think it's that I'm around people who put out music without compromising their artistic visions, regardless of how much a records sells. And, at least one of those guys has written considerably more songs than Stevie could dream of writing, and he definitely doesn't pray to the hit gods.
Back in the day, when the band would work on records and she'd be left out of a lot of the process because she didn't play an instrument, she'd basically say "That's fine, if you don't want my songs I'll just give them to my solo career!" And I think that's how she thinks about it to this day. Her artistic vision doesn't require Fleetwood Mac per se, not any more anyway. She learned how to collaborate with other producers and she can always find a buddy or two to harmonize with.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
She said that about one song ("Say You Will") and that comment was latched onto as if it were the only thing she's ever said on the topic. (Even after the countless other comments she's made about not setting out to write hit songs, and not knowing how to even if she tried.)

It's great that you know someone who doesn't care whether he gets rich making music. I know & respect people like that too -- including my best buddy, who's a drummer and a songwriter. I still don't see why Stevie should be blamed for wanting to do what she loves and make money at the same time, or have her artistic integrity questioned because of it.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To play devil's advocate, I've never heard people talk about how hard it is to work with Stevie as much as how hard it is (or could be, anyway) to work with Lindsey. I know he has worked hard to overcome a lot of demons, but who knows, there might still be issues. If the process is likely to be just plain unpleasant for Stevie, I can see why she'd need a greater incentive, as someone said above, to balance things out and make it more worthwhile for her. Christine would help. Production of her songs that she actually liked would help. Interactions that didn't rub salt in old wounds would help. Otherwise, if it's artistic merit she wants, she has her solo career for that.
When Stevie was on drugs, I don't think she got along well with any producers, not even Iovine and we know we have to pretend that Street Angel doesn't even exist, because of the conflict there. With the Tango album, working with Lindsey was not the problem. Even Mick said that although Lindsey treated the rest of them like marionettes, he was super sweet to Stevie when she was there.

Lindsey hasn't worked with a lot of people outside of FM, but Egan, Stewart and Welch didn't seem to complain about him.

You're right. As Stevie said in 2003 that Lindsey had been out of her life a long time and she doesn't need him to make her music come true anymore. She has other ways to be creative and it's a more enjoyable, fulfilling thing to do outside of FM these days.

I wish she would just say that. You mentioned working with another producer and so did Stevie. So, that's what Lindsey tried to do. He went about it the wrong way, I think, pulling Mitchell Froom out of a hat like a rabbit. But he was responding to what Stevie said.

If the truth is she doesn't want to work with him even with an outside producer, then she should just say so.

If you come over to my house and I offer you apple pie, if you say, "No, I don't like apple pie," then I will not pester you about pie again.

However, if you say, "Oh, no it looks delicious, but I just ate," then I'm going to wait for an hour until your appetite dissipates and then I'm going to ask you again if you want apple pie. When you give me excuses, I'm going to try to resolve your objectons and it's not because I don't respect your wishes, it's because you made me think that under certain circumstances, you WILL want pie. When you just tell me you're not interested in my pie, I guess I'll finally leave you alone.

Michele
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When Stevie was on drugs, I don't think she got along well with any producers, not even Iovine and we know we have to pretend that Street Angel doesn't even exist, because of the conflict there.
I imagine Stevie's work ethic suffered at the height of her cocaine addiction, and that was probably the source of Jimmy's frustration (since he'd already warned her before making 'Bella Donna' that he had no interest in wasting months on end in the studio if she wasn't going to work in a disciplined fashion). However, things couldn't have ever gotten that bad between them, since she was the first person he called when he wanted to record 'A Very Special Christmas' -- less than two years later.

In fact, other than Glyn Johns, just about everyone she worked with during the "drug years" continues to work with her to this day. I think that says a lot.

Meanwhile, I don't necessarily think that Lindsey is hard to work with (although Ken sure seems to think so!), but he may be hard for Stevie to work with. Just too much baggage there.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

(Meant to reply to this earlier....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I've seen the argument that you made about us being the ones who buy several copies of things, one to save unopened, one for the car, one to play at home, etc. in many posts, but it was usually an argument being made hoping that she would change her stance.
You know, now that you mention it, I do remember saying back then that I hoped she was aware of how dedicated we are and would change her mind. Yet, I also recall expressing the belief that she had to know, based on other things she's said, and wasn't directing those statements toward diehards.

It must have been something on which my thoughts evolved, the more I contemplated it. Either way, please strike the word "never" from my earlier post.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 02-18-2013 at 04:08 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What KILLED me about the whole album thing was how stealthily and carefully Lindsey, John, and Mick went about setting up the whole thing. They learned from their mistakes from SYW, got the outside producer who was under the radar and recorded half of a Fleetwood Mac album.

Now Stevie is full of sh*t when she says she didn't have any material recorded? Um Stevie...'You Can't Fix This?' She contradicted EVERYTHING she said in the FM tour press by going out and recording a new song (that effing rocks) with the Foo Fighters. If I were Lindsey, I'd be like wtfff!

I think the lack of sales (even though the album was in the limelight) and aggressive tour schedule effected the Mac album.

I'm devastated. Lindsey and Stevie are both peaking right now creatively. I can only imagine what new Mac material would have sounded like.