Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Then can we (I) look forward to you running across in front of the stage naked?
Well, it sure does make you wonder if everything about Gaius is as long as his posts!

I cannot believe I said that outloud.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ikinw To Win

I love both, but I love IKINW more.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Ledgie

Default Storms to win

Storms to win
Old 09-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Ledgie

Default Final Round - Storms

I love this song!
'Cause I wear boots all summer long
Old 09-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Well, it sure does make you wonder if everything about Gaius is as long as his posts!

Wow. That was a trashy post if I do say so myself.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Storms to Win

by a long shot
Old 09-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
This comparison between the two is very inappropriate in my eyes. As is the whole comparison of Lindsey Buckingham's musical paradigm to that of Stevie Nicks'. They communicate different things to us, they expose different sides (yet, in the end it's all the same) of themselves to us and that's because they wouldn't know how to do anything else. They are limited in what they do, after all, just like we are limited in that we can't always grasp what they're after in everything that they do. Or at least I can't, who knows, maybe there's someone here who likes everything either of them have done equally.

Sure, write the lyrics down and there's no argument over who appears to be more poetic and deep on the surface. I have always argued that Lindsey Buckingham's work should not be analyzed in a solely lyrical context and I will do that here too. My belief is that to understand what he is trying to do requires focusing on the arrangement itself, which means that one should not just listen to the composition, one should listen to the way he phrases what he lets out of his mouth and of course how he creates the musical network of emotions coming straight at us. Listen to the way he sings it also (or uses the VSO), he sure isn't as expressive a vocalist as Stevie but he definitely considers the way he uses his vocal chords carefully.

Now about the claim that "Storms" is more complex than "IKINW". How can one actually prove something like that? Where is the musicological analysis? You'd need one to get me convinced. Surely any piece of classical music kicks "Storms" in the rear end in complexity. When analysing rock and pop music, one should never look at the composition itself. You need to look at the rhythmical side, phrasing, syncopation, stuff like that that notation can never described accurately. You need to look at the various tone colours used because those have been used to convey a lot of emotions too, ever since someone realized that you could actually enhance instruments through electricity. And since musicologists throughout the world struggle with inventing proper terms to describe those things, it is impossible to compare the complexity of one piece of rock music to another. Or of course you can do it, but then that wouldn't be reflective of anything else than what you are like as a human being and what kind of things speak to you more than others.

Also Jason, I had to roll my eyes to this:

I mean, what the hell? Since when has this become a sports competition where you start comparing different emotions to each other? This clearly speaks of you more than it speaks of anything else. If you do not identify with the uplift of "I Know I'm Not Wrong" as much as you identify with the frailness of "Storms", then most of what I'm going to write next will probably mean nothing to you.
You find all those "earnest, pleading, frail, strong" qualities [and more] in Stevie's vocal delivery, I find those in Lindsey's arrangements.

Whatever all you want - you will anyway because to quote you, you are hard headed

This whole thing is about comparison. I thought you knew that because you participated and you did just that in your meandering post, in case you did not notice I mean if you did not want to compare them or disagreed with the comparison concept, you should not have played on that principle But, you did - so I think you should not get on your high horse when others do and their comparison and opinion differs from you to the point where you apparently are shocked or appalled into rolling your eyes

As for Storms being more complex, the layered vocals, the vocal structure itself, the lyrics themselves, the somewhat syncopated style, the soft drumming, LB's (apparently) beautiful arangement, the vocal (all 12 or so layers of them), her complex harmony structure (which I cannot imagine how long it took her to come with that yet people who never sang harmony in thier lives think it just happens ), and the lack of the collegiate band horn section repeating the same hook over and over again all go a long way in expressing yearning, frailty, passion, wanting, and any other purient emotion Storms CLEARLY conveys and all of which make it more complex than IKINW, which I love BTW.

But - I know not everyone gets or agrees with that. That does not mean I do not. YOu know all of this reminds me of Carne's whole "I can say objectively this song is better than that and its not a subjective opinion" argument about a year and a half ago Can something on its face objectively be muscially moew complex and even better I say yes, and Storms is. So sue me

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Final Round : "I know I'm Not Wrong" to WIN

Hello To Everyone,I have come out of Lurking just to vote in this final Round. I vote for" I know I'm not Wrong" To WIN.

Everyone take good care of yourselves.

Chain Keep US Together.

Its important to remember that nobody
falls into a simple set of labels.

Last edited by msLinds; 09-18-2004 at 05:54 PM..
Old 09-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:

It was good. It was all good.
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I say yes, and Storms is. So sue me
see you in court.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Wow. That was a trashy post if I do say so myself.
Ouch. Do you really think so?
Of course, I guess you would have added a smilie or a winkie if you didn’t really think so.

My bad.

Hopefully Gaius took it in the tongue-in-cheek manner in which it was meant... with the discussion of long posts and running naked and all.

And, well, I could have meant his legs! Yeah, that's it.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Ouch. Do you really think so?
Of course, I guess you would have added a smilie or a winkie if you didn’t really think so.

My bad.

Hopefully Gaius took it in the tongue-in-cheek manner in which it was meant... with the discussion of long posts and running naked and all.

And, well, I could have meant his legs! Yeah, that's it.
Wait, Stewie...did you see, a couple posts ago, what I thought? It all balances out, in the end.... Although, it may matter MOST what Gaius thought..
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Wait, Stewie...did you see, a couple posts ago, what I thought? It all balances out, in the end.... Although, it may matter MOST what Gaius thought..
I'm glad you got a laugh out of it, Amber! I was going for a laugh.

Hopefully, Gaius will get a laugh out of it, too.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default round Finale! - IKINW to win

sure seems like a loot of the regulars haven't voted yet, or maybe I just missed it.

Michael

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks
Old 09-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
see you in court.

WHO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

save the cheerleader - save the world