The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw her on this tour and loved the show.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I saw Chris when I was 14 in 1984. Will post an entire review tomorrow. Stay tuned. It was one of the best concerts in my life.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am "so excited" to have joined this board and to share my Christine solo tour experience. I loved reading the other stories from you guys from Christine's solo 1984 tour.

But before we get to the concert, here is a little background on me. I fell in love with Fleetwood Mac when their Mirage tour came on HBO in February 1983. I loved the way they looked and sounded. I had just turned 13 and this would be the band I would idolize for many many years with posters, pictures, and articles all over my bedroom wall. It was frustrating to be a Mac fan during this time because there would not be new Mac music for over 5 years and to see all members (Lindsey) live for another 15 years. But it also was an extremely exciting time too because the band members started cranking out solo projects. Stevie's Stand Back was released in the spring of 1983. Stevie Nicks and Joe Walsh was my first concert in June 1983 at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena. Later that year I saw AC/DC with Fastway at the same venue (November 1983).

In February 1984 I was out celebrating my 14th birthday. My parents treated me and my friends for a night out for pizza at a pizza place at a shopping plaza. After the party we all walked down to Hills Department Store and I was in the record department (CDs were not that popular yet). Sure enough Christine's solo album had just been released and Got a Hold on Me was creeping on the charts. True story: I was holding the album and reading the back cover when the stereos in the record section were tuned to WDVE, Pittsburgh's rock station. Sure enough they announced they were going to play a track off Christine's latest album "One in a Million." One in a Million is a great rock song with heavy percussion and slick guitar work. I was blown away and went to get my mom to tell her the album is what I wanted for my birthday.

A few months later I discovered that Christine McVie was coming to Pittsburgh. I was so excited. But for some reason I could not convince my parents to go. My friends were definitely not Mac fans and were into the metal scene that was huge at that time. So what was I going to do? I did not work or drive so how was I going to go to the concert? I had a plan to win tickets. Magic 97 was an adult contemporary station in Pittsburgh and they were giving away tons of tickets with the album. They also were giving away 2 backstage passes from all those who won tickets. I listened to the radio constantly waiting for a Mac song to play. There were no cell phones in those days so I would have to run from my bedroom to the phone to call the station. Rhianon came on the radio and I called the station. I got through and was number 2 or 3 but you needed to be lucky number 7. I called back and it was busy. Then I called back and won and was lucky number 7. I could not believe it. I remember recording the announcement on the radio when they mentioned my name winning. But my good fortune was not over yet. I cleverly discovered that the radio station had a routine when they played Fleetwood Mac songs. It was something like 50 minutes past the hour every 2 hours. So sure enough I kept trying to win more tickets. But even as a 14 year old I knew maybe it would not be cool or they would disqualify me for winning again. So my plan was giving my friend's name and address. Sure enough I won 2 more tickets and another album and had then sent to my friend's house. So now I could take 2 friends and my dad took us to the show.

Chris's solo album from 1984 is one of the best albums of the 1980's. It holds up so well unlike so many other albums from the 80's. There are no fake drums or programmed music. They are quality written and recorded songs. Chris always has the talent for creating catchy tunes. The Pittsburgh Press gave it a positive but mixed review. While they liked the album they took issue with the lack of "musical muscle." They said the songs are not wimpy but with music legends like Eric Clapton, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Windwood, and Mick Fleetwood, some of the songs should have been stronger. I just remember being very angry with the reviewer for those stupid comments.

Now on with the show:
Friday, May 11, 1984, Pittsburgh Stanley Theater. In the 70's and early 80's Billboard magazine rated the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh the #1 place for acoustics and to see a rock concert. The place was very elegant and historic plus it had the best acoustics for concerts. The build up for the show was incredible. Christine' Got A Hold on Me had just peaked and fell off the charts and Love Will Show Us How was just released and creeping on the charts. Chris was getting lots of airplay and her concert commercials seemed to be on every radio station "Its going to be a hot night in the Steel City with Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie (then play snippets of all the hits) with special guest Baxter Robinson Band. The Baxter Robinson Band had a rock hit Silver Strand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNWyhe6y-8

How exciting to go to downtown Pittsburgh on a Friday night (since it was not a school night). I remember we saw Christine's tour bus about a block from the theater. It was a beautiful painted bus and was named "The Challenge" painted on the side. The Challenge was also the name of John McVie's boat.

I don't know the capacity of the Stanley Theater but the theater was not full. In fact there was a huge gap of empty seats from the people in front and those of us who won tickets near the back. Me and my friends moved down to the empty seats after Baxter Robinson did his show. Very good rock band and they were a perfect opener.

Finally the lights go out again and Chris and her band take the stage. If you have seen any Mac shows it is common for Chris to yell out or say hello even before the first song plays. Chris shouts "All right Detroit." Detroit? We are in Pittsburgh. Someone must have told her the correction because she immediately said Pittsburgh. She opened with Say You Love Me playing in front of giant piano keys that wound up the wall of the back of the stage that went to the ceiling. Pretty cool simple effects. Her band was awesome. Although you did miss hearing Stevie's voice during the chorus of Say You Love Me. After the first song Chris apologized again for flubbing the city. She then went into her current single Love Will Show Us How. Chris pretty much played almost every song from her new album. I loved the special echo effects they used on Chris's mic during The Smile I Live For. Chris got out from behind her keyboards and took center stage to sing standing at the mic for a few songs. She did One In A Million and I'm The One at center mic while her boyfriend at the time Eddy Quintela was on keyboards. Chris mixed up Mac classics like Just Crazy love with modern Mac hits like Hold Me with her new stuff like Got A Hold on Me. The best part of the concert was near the end since everyone could come down out of their seats and be close to the stage in the pit. You could see Chris's expression she was happy and smiled. The band also seem to play off our energy. She played Don't Stop and even came back for her Mac encore Songbird. Someone threw one of their Christine McVie tour shirts on stage and it landed on her piano. She picked it up and said "thanks, this is just my size."
It was an amazing show. The crisp heavy drum beats in the theater with wonderful guitar player Todd Sharpe and Chris on vocals. It was probably the best concert I have seen in my life and I have been to lots of concerts.
I could not believe how sparsely attended the concert was. I am guessing maybe 250 people. I could not understand who would not want to hear Mac's songbird play the classics. Her solo songs were also on the radio getting heavy airplay. But as a huge Mac fan it was such a treat to get so close to the stage and get eye contact with Chris and her band. I remember my friend waving at Eddy Quintela while he was playing keyboards and he winked hello at us. It really was a hot night in the Steel City and something I will never forget.
At the end of 1984 the Pittsburgh Press did a "best of" concerts that came to Pittsburgh that year. 1984 was a HUGE year for music and all the big bands came to Pittsburgh. Van Halen, Culture Club, Bruce Springstein, The Cars, etc. The Press mentioned Chris's solo concert as an honorable mention. I was so happy to see her show acknowledged as one of the best that year because very few came to see it and enjoy it.
It is a memory I cherish forever and realize how lucky I was to see Chris solo in concert. Her tour was so brief and shows cancelled. This is the time she lent Mick Fleetwood $50,000 to cover Mick's monthly expenses when he was just about to declare bankruptcy (from Mick's book). I doubt her shows were making money since she had to pay opening acts, her band, and the hotel and travel costs. So realizing this I am blessed to have experienced such a wonderful concert. My only regret is that I did not get a T-shirt. She did not have a tour book. But had jackets and very cool concert shirts.
So glad for this forum for me to share this experience with the world.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-28-2014 at 08:17 AM..
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Thank you so much for your story. I loved the details you gave us and can just imagine being in a concert seeing Christine alone, standing at the mic singing.

I did not see her show. I was spending a lot of money on other concerts that year and I have long regretted that choice not to make the effort to see her.

Michele
Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^Thank you so much for your story. I loved the details you gave us and can just imagine being in a concert seeing Christine alone, standing at the mic singing.

I did not see her show. I was spending a lot of money on other concerts that year and I have long regretted that choice not to make the effort to see her.

Michele
^^^Me too!!!! I usually skip over really long posts(no offense), but I hung on every word! Thank you so much!

It really disheartening that the goat is the ONLY FM solo member that really can sell a venue. I guess there's no accounting for taste!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow, what memories -- from the whole Mac/Stevie on HBO in the early 80s, to still having the Christine long-sleeved tee shirt with the keyboard graphics on it. Sounds just like me! (Don't worry, mine doesn't fit either, LOL).

Saw that tour at the Tower in Philly. My dear friend and I were the youngest by far. We brought roses to hand to Christine (ended up throwing on stage), moved to the front row pretty early in the show, laughed when Todd made silly faces at us during the whole show, and just had a blast! It was a great set!

Hung out after the show waiting for my parents to arrive to drive us home and got a nice hello and wave from Christine as she was leaving in her limo. Then, I saw my Dad (walking the dog, no less), waving us over to hop back into the mammoth station wagon. Those were the days!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not true. They would have sell-out tours in other territories if they bothered. classic example: Lindsey had a sell-out UK tour booked a couple of years ago and we all know what happened there. He won't sell out in the UK again if he tries - not after letting the audience down so very, very badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

It really disheartening that the goat is the ONLY FM solo member that really can sell a venue. I guess there's no accounting for taste!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Not true. They would have sell-out tours in other territories if they bothered. classic example: Lindsey had a sell-out UK tour booked a couple of years ago and we all know what happened there. He won't sell out in the UK again if he tries - not after letting the audience down so very, very badly.
I think what Homer said was Stevie can always fill a venue. Even with commercial success the other band members could never come close to Stevie's solo success especially in the tour department. Stevie has packed arenas all over North America and Australia. Mick, Lindsey, and Christine have played much smaller venues and is a tiny fraction of Stevie's solo success.

I repeat. Christine's solo concert in 1984 was one of the best concerts I attended.