The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

We have to keep relatives together, so we’ll put John and Christine MCVIE of Fleetwood MAC at Table One. (Yes, I’ve heard of Fleetwood Mac, but before today the only band member I could name without prompting was Stevie Nicks. I would have tumbled to Mick Fleetwood if given enough hints.) I’m guessing artists would like to mingle with other artists, so let’s add to their table poet NIKKI Giovanni, Welsh actor and songwriter IVOR Novello, and NCIS actor David McCallum, who apparently plays a character called “DUCKY.”

http://www.crosswordfiend.com/blog/2...sunday-112810/
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default written by Homer McVie

By Stephen Rowland 30 November 2010

I knew about the Ark before anyone (except Swedish people). I know more about the Ark than anyone (except for a Swede here or there).

And this makes me sad. I’ve spent years running about, proclaiming to everyone, “The Ark are the best band working!” People ignored me, but their response was irrelevant. I held the secret. I had the key. These glorious Swedes were the best band working.

Obligatory lesson: 1991, band formed, everyone hated them (I’ve heard some of their early stuff, and trust me, it is bad). Ola Salo started transforming the band, much like Lindsey Buckingham turned Fleetwood Mac from a total bore into an if-you-don’t-own-Rumours-you-just-might-die empire (that exists, to this day, literally in every single record or thrift store in the entire United States of America). Anyway, Ola the palindrome was not only a monstrous showman, he was a superb songwriter. He played Jesus in a Swedish production of Jesus Christ Superstar and has composed his own symphonies, for Christ’s sake. Yet pop has never been beneath him.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/...-full-regalia/
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Even if Fleetwood Mac can stop
Thinking about tomorrow can not stop."

http://www.regretsy.com/2010/11/22/s...ense/#comments
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk | Surprisingly, the first time I heard this song was at the gym. It was in a dance aerobics class at the Gold's in Ballston and the song came on as we were cooling down. I had been meaning to check out this album because I was really into some of the earlier Fleetwood Mac stuff in high school and though I hate to admit it, the interest was sparked by Hole's version of "Gold Dust Woman" from the Crow City of Angels soundtrack. Yea, I loved Hole.

Then I grew to love Stevie Nicks and thought '**** Courtney for killing such a great song'. Anyway, I love this song because it's 'real savage-like' as Lindsay Buckingham says at the end. At least, I think it was him that said it. Funny, you wouldn't expect to hear a considerably obscure Fleetwood Mac song after Beyonce's "Deja Vu" or Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" in a BodyJam class.

http://vinyldistrict.blogspot.com/20...carol-bui.html
Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Downloading an expensive music lesson | Standard-Examiner – Ogden ...
By dgibson
The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in February that Harper should pay the record companies $27750, or $750 each, for 37 wrongly downloaded and shared tunes, such as Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" and Mariah Carey's "We Belong ...
http://www.standard.net/topics/opini...e-music-lesson
Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have witnessed the misery this loophole has created. Family businesses, many who have been trading for years, are closing down, people are losing their homes, people are suffering nervous breakdowns, and in one case a customer of mine took his life so depressed was he about losing his businesses. Yet this should all have been avoided.

On so many occasions I have seen people come to the counter of a record shop, ask about a new CD – then telling the owner that they will order it off of Amazon or Play VAT free. Can you imagine how frustrating this is for the shop owners?

One of my customers had a man ask to see all the Fleetwood Mac CDs he had in stock. He had 8 different titles. The man took his mobile phone out and took a picture of each one. He then sent the pictures to his wife, telling her to order these CDs from Play.com as they are bound to be cheaper. The record shops just cannot compete in this unfair marketplace.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...-of-vat-abuse/
Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Silver Seas: Château Revenge – review
The Guardian
The influence of Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac has spread through American indie music in the last few years, and the second album from Nashville's Silver Seas ...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...revenge-review
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Today In Entertainment History December 5

Undated -- On December fifth, 1968, the Rolling Stones album "Beggar's Banquet" was released.

Also in 1968, Graham Nash quit The Hollies because the band wanted to do an album of Bob Dylan songs.

In 1975, the self-titled album "Fleetwood Mac" was certified gold in the US It was the first one with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.

In 1992, Ice Cube became the first hard-core rapper to have an album make its debut at number one on the "Billboard" album chart, with "The Predator."

In 1996, country singer Montana Slim died at his home in Scottsdale, Arizona, two months after being diagnosed with a stomach tumor. He was 91.

In 2003, actress Gwyneth Paltrow married Coldplay singer Chris Martin in Santa Barbara County, California.

In 2005, actress Valerie Bertinelli filed for divorce from Van Halen guitarist Eddie Van Halen.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/s...1160&catid=204
Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Say You Will was issued during April of 2003 and to date is Fleetwood Mac’s last studio album. It was a moderate commercial success by Fleetwood Mac standards as it reached number three on The American music charts and has sold just shy of one million copies.

The big change for the group was the departure of Christine McVie. It was their first album in three decades not to have her as an active participant. Her only contributions were on “Steel Your Heart Away” and “Bleed To Love Her” which had been previously recorded for a Lindsey Buckingham solo album.

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham each wrote or co-wrote 9 of the albums 17 tracks. In a way, the differences in style and approach made the album seem almost like two solo albums which have been fused together into one Fleetwood Mac project.

While Buckingham and Nicks combine to create a lot of good music, Christine McVie is missed. She always occupied the middle ground and her down to earth pop inclinations were the connecter between Buckingham’s more experimental songs and Nicks’ flights of fancy. Without her, their music is more exposed and stands on its own with both positive and negative results.

Buckingham’s contributions run the gamete from pop to rock to pushing the envelope on both styles. Even when the songs may not be the best, his always underrated guitar virtuosity saves the day.

“What’s The World Coming To” is one of his better pop creations. “Murrow Turning Over In His Grave” is one of those tracks where he just shines on the guitar. “Miranda” is a reminder of his old Buckingham-Nicks duet days and has a nice funky feel. “Red Rover” has him exploring an English folk sound. While he is playing a guitar, it almost sounds like a mandolin. “Bleed To Love Her” is the studio version of the song which first appeared live on The Dance.

Stevie Nicks also creates a somewhat eclectic group of songs. “Thrown Down” is typical of her most commercial work with Fleetwood Mac as it is very good guitar based pop. “Destiny Rules” is sparse in structure but the background vocals fill in the holes. “Running Through The Garden” is a rocker with the best vocal performance on the album. The title track is another catchy pop tune.

Say You Will is an acquired taste. It does not have the consistantcy of their best work but there is some good material, if you take the time to seek it out.

Fleetwood Mac is one of those iconic groups that will continue to sell out concert halls as long as they desire to stay together and at this point any new material is a bonus for their fans.

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...d-mac-say-you/
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Melodic Rock AOR 0day: VANGOUW - Passion Rules (2010)
By 0dayrock
They have re-worked Fleetwood Mac's 'Go Your Own Way' into a pounding rocker with big guitars and strong keyboards. More acoustic guitar and layered synths precede the big power ballad 'When You Think Of Me', a classy number guaranteed ...
http://0dayrock.blogspot.com/2010/12...ules-2010.html
Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thursday, December 09, 2010
Fleetwood Mac “Tusk” (1979)

I believe that the true power in this world is love. There's obviously a strong universal relation to the longing of the soul. I also believe that Fleetwood Mac just might be the best musical representation of love. I could probably write about any Mac record, making similar points, TUSK just happens to be living on my turntable at the moment.

It's not a perfect album by any means, but when you dive deep into this band, it all hits the spot. TUSK is the double-LP follow up to their multi-platinum break up monster, Rumors. Of course there's no way Tusk could ever have been nearly as much of a commercial success, but that's what's nice about it for me, there's at least one full-length records worth of killer pop "anti" hits that still satisfy the listener in the same way, beautiful vocal coloring over lindsey buckingham's percussive strumming and driven home by that wonderful snare crack that mick fleetwood perfected in the pop years.

Plus this seems to be the point where Buckingham really took over the production and, for lack of a better term, went insane. So the arrangements are wacky as hell at some points and he must have played at least 50 different stringed instruments on it, but what's love without craziness? Give this a chance if you haven't already. For lovers only. –Alex

http://jivetimerecords.blogspot.com/...tusk-1979.html
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Written by one of our Ledgies

‘Sisters of the Moon’ is a Stevie Nicks song from the Tusk album (1979). According to Mick Fleetwood’s autobiography, this song was written during the first FM tours with Stevie and Lindsey, though she has not confirmed this. For me [Villavic], is one of those classical dark, mystic Stevie’s songs. A masterpiece. “Intense silence As she walked in the room…” The lyrics are about Stevie herself and how lonely she felt when she became famous. The ‘room’ could be the studio, but since she was talking about the tours, the room probably is the stage or the general Fleetwood Mac environment. So there is a crowd out there but she hears an intense silence. She feels alone, and the tour has started to take its toll on her. She is dressed in black and looks very thin: ‘ A black widow spider makes more sound than she..’. She is suffering. This could be a feeling from early years, not necessarily just from the Tusk era (so Mick could be right), but she wasn’t prepared for fame, non-stop tours and loneliness. The ‘cruel people’ mentioned are the fans, the public. In some way they love Stevie, but since they ask her for more and more, they are also cruel to her. And she tries never to dissapoint them. Besides, nobody knows her closely. None of those fans are actually her friends. She has no one so she has to rely on herself. Nobody likes her for who she really is. Does anybody know (her name) who she really is? “She asked me– Be my sister,” Stevie is looking for a real friend. She …

http://brothersandsisters.4cq.net/br...iano-demo.html
Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Notes on Kanye West and…Fleetwood Mac

Notes on Kanye West and…Fleetwood Mac
By Alan
What Kanye West’s new set of songs remind me most of–and this might be highly idiosyncratic on my part–is Fleetwood Mac’s 1979 classic album, Tusk. Easily their best in my opinion. It blends together the manicness of Lindsey Buckingham’s jangling pace and spooling intricacies with the serene, ethereal harmonies of Christie and Stevie. ...

http://www.goblinmercantileexchange....fleetwood-mac/
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

December 15, 2010
'The Sing-Off' mini-recap: Down to the finals
Unfortunately, I'm fighting a huge headache, and I just don't have it in me to do a full recap of tonight's Sing-Off. But here's generally what went down:

For the first round, the remaining five groups had to sing "superstar medleys." On the Rocks had Elton John, Committed had Usher, Street Corner Symphony did the Beatles, the Backbeats sang Lady Gaga and Jerry Lawson and the Talk of the Town had Otis Redding.

The groups all did a nice job with the medleys, but at the end of that round, On the Rocks was sent packing. (O NO!) Bummer. But at this point in the competition, everyone is just really, really good. I didn't envy the judges having to make that decision.

For the next round, the final four groups sang judges' choice songs.

Committed killed Al Green's "Let's Stay Together." So good. They did this thing, passing along the lead from person to person seamlessly.

Street Corner Symphony was assigned Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Down on the Corner" and turned it a little funky and a lot of fun.

The Backbeats gave a very emotional performance of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide," to the point that Courtney was crying when it was over.

Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town did the Animals' "House of the Rising Sun" and turned it into a gospel song, Ben said.

Then it was time for a tough cut ... which the judges totally copped out on, cutting no one and putting all four groups into Monday's finale.

Who do you think is going to win?

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...he_finals.html
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Time, travel, and fruit
Friday, December 24, 2010
By DARREN PALTROWITZ
COLUMNIST Here are some more quick picks for you, the loyal reader:

MUSIC: Mike Viola and Kelly Jones "Melon" – In an age when most artists think economically, it is rare for artists to go "deluxe" on a creative project. In mid-2010, Mike Viola and Kelly Jones –- two renowned songwriters based in L.A. with roots in New York –- opted to record a vinyl-only, live-in-the-studio, acoustic. Now, "Melon" can be found on iTunes and Amazon MP3. "Steal Your Heart Away" (a Fleetwood Mac cover) and "There Goes My Baby" (a re-working of an earlier Viola-produced Jones recording) must be heard. (kellyjones.com)

http://www.northjersey.com/shopping/...and_fruit.html