Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default John and Best Bass Players

This is an exceprt from a blog on Best Bass Players by Simon Sweetman, July 29, 2009

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...t-bass-players

I love the bass playing of John McVie from Fleetwood Mac. As his long-time crony Mick Fleetwood said, "John tends to play in front of the beat, I tend to play slightly behind and we meet somewhere in the middle." It's a style you cannot teach - and maybe some would never want to learn it - but it has served the pair well, working with Peter Green to present a direct descendent of the Chicago blues, taking on soft-rock with Bob Welch and supporting the million-selling breakup pop and rock of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham.

Like McVie, Roger Glover of Deep Purple knows how to drive, playing thick chunks of sound, doubling the guitar when required, offering a standalone bass motif now and then. Neither McVie nor Glover has the harmonic grace of Pastorious but both were just right (and continue to be) for the bands they play in. You would not want Jaco (if he were still alive) working in and around Fleetwood or Iain Paice.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As his long-time crony Mick Fleetwood said, "John tends to play in front of the beat, I tend to play slightly behind and we meet somewhere in the middle."
I wish I understood what this means. I have read references in other places to a drummer playing "ahead of the beat" (or a similar phrase.) But ... doesn't the drummer *create* the beat in a rock song?

It's good to see John getting some credit for his musicianship, by the way.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I read an article where John said that he tries to follow or keep beat with Christine (or the default keyboardist) rather than Mick. I don't remember the interview, but I gathered when he said it that it was unique and not most what bassists do, not what the questioner expected to hear.

Michele
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think I read an article where John said that he tries to follow or keep beat with Christine (or the default keyboardist) rather than Mick. I don't remember the interview, but I gathered when he said it that it was unique and not most what bassists do, not what the questioner expected to hear.
That would be really weird. Well, whatever works best for him.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's been awhile since I read his book, but in Eric Clapton's autobiography, he had very high praise for John's abilities as a bass player.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe View Post
It's been awhile since I read his book, but in Eric Clapton's autobiography, he had very high praise for John's abilities as a bass player.
You are correct - he does say that.

I actually had no idea the connection between Clapton and FM (that Mick's girlfriend/wife Jenny was the sister of Patti Boyd, Clapton's girlfriend/wife) until I read Storms.
I love stuff like that!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Long been a fan of John's bass playing. Subtle when need be, fierce when need be, but always present, always noticeable. He and Mick form one of the greatest rhythm sections in music and yet don't always get credit.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
You are correct - he does say that.

I actually had no idea the connection between Clapton and FM (that Mick's girlfriend/wife Jenny was the sister of Patti Boyd, Clapton's girlfriend/wife) until I read Storms.
I love stuff like that!
I was jumping up and down (figuratively) as I read that entire chapter of Storms. Fleetwood Mac in Eric Clapton's castle doing lines until the sun rose = priceless.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Long been a fan of John's bass playing. Subtle when need be, fierce when need be, but always present, always noticeable. He and Mick form one of the greatest rhythm sections in music and yet don't always get credit.
I completely agree. I've only recently begun to realize that.